Why become a member? ×

I'm being replaced in one of my Police Tributes. But they haven't told me!!

police squad

some excellent responses here. Thanks for your input, but I must say this about it all.
When I got upset at the gig it was to do with the gig, not the band. I have never chucked my toys out of the pram before. I am not a diva or an arsehole. I turn up with a full PA system and mic everyone up. I put my all into every show. I do a lot of gigs and always fit everybody in when I can.
We still have 3 gigs this year.I haven't actually left but should I do these remaining gigs. I think I should

Edited by police squad

It sounds like you may be regretting your actions a little and we have all done that before so why not request a meeting and explain your feelings about the gig and the band.

Things always seem different after putting a little distance from them.

Like others have said finding another "Sting" will not be easy and they may welcome you back after a proper apology.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1411919885' post='2563886']
should I do these remaining gigs. I think I should
[/quote]
Yes, you should... or, at least till they've found a replacement - IMO the band have done nothing wrong - you've effectively quit - you should give them reasonable notice - end of the year is fair.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1411924435' post='2563955']
As they gig for a living, perhaps he thought that having an outburst and packing up early without finishing the song could result in lost bookings if word had spread about it.
[/quote]

Well, the OP's withdrawal from the stage can't have been [i]too[/i] poorly received given that the promoter / landlord offered the band another booking. :)

There are many ways to deal with a heckler; one method is to play through the heckling - which may not always be possible. In the circumstances as described one might stop the song, deal with the miscreant, start from the top then say goodnight; which would seem a little odd.

Then there is the Townsend-Burnel approach: one stops the song, invites the heckler up then - as they are clambering over the lip of the stage - one stands on their fingers or applies one's boot to their dental apparatus with elemental force.

While entirely satisfying this somewhat 'physical' method carries the risk of unintended consequences including but not limited to: subsequent prohibition from the venue; legal action; widespread rioting.

By eschewing bodily violence the OP may enjoy the approbation of right-thinking people everywhere. On balance, I think he got it more or less right. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1411913371' post='2563807']
So the drummer & guitarist hate you, surely that's exactly how a Police tribute band should end?
[/quote]

Only if the OP has made a fortune for getting the financial rewards for a rap artist sampling one of their songs where the sampled hook is something composed by the guitarist.

We are all human , and we all have an " off night " or day , where things get on top of us .
If you are fed up with the band , quit with your head held high .
If you really want to stay in the band , eat humble pie and apologise to the band for your behaviour .

Guys who's only income come from gigging are far more cut-throat than weekend warriors with day jobs . ( you have jeopardised their wages )

Good luck , hope your not the canary in a coal mine .

Never, ever, insult an entire audience for one idiot - unless you are a comedian who does heckling as part of the act and is good at it - you just come across as a bit of a sh*t. Rise above it and ignore it - always. NEVER react, because getting one up on one idiot never makes a musician look good.

I play in a tribute, but I'm also a production manager for a 1400 seat venue, and when a band doing a show there did something similar - and had a row on stage between themselves because the lead singer was an idiot - the first thing I did was cross off a prospective date next year, phone the agent up and tell him what they were like, and make sure that two other venues they were touring to found out what happened. The grapevine works very well - for or against bands.

Looks like for you, this band's gone!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1411934595' post='2564124']
Years back I was playing an exclusive gig in a house in Pollock Park Glasgow. This knob head was heckling all the way through so I unstrapped my Fender and walloped him with it.. and they threw [u]US[/u] out! Unbelievable!
[/quote]

I know. Similar thing happened to me on a club date when I was much younger. Guy grabs a chair and sticks it on the dance floor in front of the stage, sits down on it and spends the first twenty minutes of our set screaming horrible abuse at the lady singer. Eventually the drummer said 'Shall I twat him?' and I said 'No, I'll do it while you do a solo.'

I was playing guitar in those days so it was no problem to hop off and do the Betty Boo. If I'd been playing bass the bottom would have dropped out of the song and I'd have been rightly f**ked. Thankfully it was only a 300 capacity gig so there was no blowback.
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar