Why become a member? ×

NBD - Young Master Discreet's Harley

discreet

[b]NBD - Young Master Discreet's Harley[/b]

Harley-Benton, that is. Young master discreet (12) expressed a desire to learn the bass guitar after he saw the effect that being a bass player had on young women, ;) so I bought him a Harley-Benton bundle - a P-Bass and a little HB amp with an 8" driver and a strap and cables, etc. from Thomann.

Here he is, the moon-faced git. And such an expression of joy that can only be had from your very first bass. I wish this had been my first bass, as it's actually very playable indeed and is incredible value. The intonation and action were good and bizarrely it was almost in tune right out of the box. The amp's not half bad either for home practice and fortunately has a headphone socket...

Thing is, he's a lefty... yes, I know. But it makes teaching him easier as we can use the 'mirror image' technique, which is actually quite handy for the swift transference of fingerboard knowledge.

He still has a bit of work to do on his left hand, obviously (normally right hand - see how it is??)

Still, he's happy for five minutes and no doubt will be suffering from GAS pretty soon...
...he already has his eye on my rig but there's NO WAY, buddy!! :D

Edited by discreet

Can your house (I mean in terms of space and the patience of the current Mrs Discreet) handle double* bass GAS? :)

I almost bought one of those HB P basses, stupid money.

Great stuff.

*unintended pun, that I can't work out how to reword :unsure:

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1411578692' post='2560882']

He still has a bit of work to do on his left hand, obviously (normally right hand - see how it is??)
[/quote]
Maybe fretting hand and, I suppose not 'picking' hand... Worrying hand?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1411578692' post='2560882']

Harley-Benton, that is. Young master discreet (12) expressed a desire to learn the bass guitar after he saw the effect that being a bass player had on young women, so I bought him a Harley-Benton bundle - a P-Bass and a little HB amp with an 8" driver and a strap and cables, etc. from Thomann.

Here he is, the moon-faced git. And such an expression of joy that can only be had from your very first bass. I wish this had been my first bass, as it's actually very playable indeed and is incredible value. The intonation and action were good and bizarrely it was almost in tune right out of the box. The amp's not half bad either for home practice and fortunately has a headphone socket...

Thing is, he's a lefty... yes, I know. But it makes teaching him easier as we can use the 'mirror image' technique, which is actually quite handy for the swift transference of fingerboard knowledge.

Still, he's happy for five minutes and no doubt will be suffering from GAS pretty soon...
...he already has his eye on my rig but there's NO WAY, buddy!! :D
[/quote]

Welcome to Bass from a fellow lefty! Bring him to a bassbash :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1411623889' post='2561197']
That's great! I hadn't thought of the 'mirroring' advantage of teaching a leftie. Three year old mini-RR is showing signs of being a southpaw, and I was just about to break out the cattle prod for some corrective therapy - maybe I'll hold back
[/quote]

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:lol: :P

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1411635345' post='2561309']
This might sound strange, but you should try teaching him right-handed. I'm a lefty but learned right-handed. Having your most dexterous hand on the frets might offer more ease of playing. It did with me anyhow.
[/quote]

Totally disagree. Exactly the opposite for me. Let him decide what he feels more comfortable with, and take it from there. He can also do a Micheal Angelo Batio and learn to play both ways... :D

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1411636825' post='2561337']
Let him decide what he feels more comfortable with, and take it from there. He can also do a Micheal Angelo Batio and learn to play both ways... :D
[/quote]

Yes well... he's only just into puberty, so I don't want to rush him into a decision at this stage.
But if he turns out to be half rice/half chips, obviously I'll still love him and support him in whatever he wants to do...