Why become a member? ×

Using ipad on stage

KingPrawn

I saw a band whilst on holiday last week. Every member had an ipad attached to a stand. Looked odd at first but did not take away from the performance. What do they use them for ??? Lyrics I understand but what program do they save them on? The rest of the band, not really sure. Are they lazy or just have so many songs to learn they need reminding?

What's your thought brothers and sisters off bass?

My guitarist/singer friend uses an Ipad Mini for lyrics, it looks 10x better than a music stand full of paper and folders etc.

Not sure what App he uses on it but he just types all the lyrics up and swipes across to get the lyrics for the next song.

Easy as you like!

I use an early Ipad for my pub gigs. Am in 2 different bands, both with well over 100 songs apiece so reading
is okay! Find it fairly easy to use / navigate - just save parts into a documents app and go from there.
Main problem for an old gimmer such as myself though is screen size - I'm at that stage where its quite
hard getting the right distance to see the screen perfectly. Guitarist in the band uses a laptop with
a bigger screen which is easier to see, but only works well with laptops where the screen opens 180 degrees
flat.
Ironically I always bring backup pad with me just in case though..........

I use my iPad for effects, tuner, amp modelling, in fact everything. I either go direct into the PA and use in-ears, in which case it's all I need, or I go into the power amp stage of my Streamliner and use my cab if I need stage monitoring when I'm not using in-ears.

Some of the amp models in Jamup are startlingly good - I'm loving the Acoustic one at the moment.

I can also use it to control my-in-ears mix from the PA, too.

I use On Song for lyrics/Setlist/chord charts etc.
I use an app called Back trax for playing our backing tracks.
I'm also just starting to work up patches on jamup xt pro to use as a pre amp for d.i ing into the p.a..
I also use an app to control the mixing desk and have a midi program that controls our lights but it's still in its infancy yet.
iPads are essential ; )
Am currently persuading the band to buy its own,the singer has one,and the drummer needs one.

I have mine on stage for Spotify (background music between sets, playlists preset to offline mode), and then I'll flip between Pages with a nice, clear set list on it (sometimes I'll use Setlist Maker), and then iRealPro for chord charts / structures when required.

It also means if set lists get edited at the last minute, you don't have to scribble all over them and they still look neat.

Another benefit I've found to iRealPro is when the singer turns round just before the start of a song saying "Oh can we do it in *insert key* "

I use ForScore with my iPad. Anything we put into the set, I transcribe and save as PDF into the app and I can set the tempo (drummer uses a click) and it reads through the music for you. It's great.

Our singer also has 3G and tethering, so we use his ipad as a personal hotspot and share any chords/dots for requests, so there's never a song we can't play at a moments notice :-)

Technology really is great!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1399447117' post='2444234']
Good thread this.

Bought a sonic port and downloaded software recently and this is helping on the practical application side

Any suggestions as to a good value for money mic stand holder for an iPad ?
[/quote]

I bought a Hercules iPad clamp secondhand from Tayste here on BC. It can either be used as a desktop stand or it clips to a mic stand / music stand. I'd recommend it - it's very well made and the clamp itself looks like it will go the distance rather than some cheap ones I've seen.

I originally got my iPad for charts and practicing which I still use it for but now I'm starting to use iRig mini and the NLog pro synth app to play bass lines in some of my bands.
It's a cheap alternative to a real synth (one day maybe) and takes up less stage space.

Guess I'm going to be the voice of dissention then and probably need to get my flame resistance shorts on

The musicians on the Titanic had to remember over 150 songs, any one of which would be requested in the moment. I know Paul McCartney etc had set lists sellotaped to their instruments for this or that performance, but they still had to remember the lyrics, as did everyone, unless they wanted to be seen reading paper on stage.

A singer I worked with recently used an iPad for lyrics. Because the lyrics were just listed in successive paragraphs, the singer went from verse two to three, completely missing the bridge of the song, as it wasn't written on her ipad note.

If people are using ipads as short cuts for learning songs properly, then subtle nuances and changes in the song from verse to verse could well be missed.

Also, if you're paying attention to the ipad, you're not giving your full attention to the performance of your fellow band members, thereby missing the opportunity to react in time to their performance and cues and in turn, provide cues of your own to them.
In the end, is the music of your band a living evolving entity from moment to moment, shaped by the musicians on the stage in that moment, or a collective programme of things to do ?

Fire away

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399453408' post='2444297']
Guess I'm going to be the voice of dissention then and probably need to get my flame resistance shorts on

The musicians on the Titanic had to remember over 150 songs, any one of which would be requested in the moment. I know Paul McCartney etc had set lists sellotaped to their instruments for this or that performance, but they still had to remember the lyrics, as did everyone, unless they wanted to be seen reading paper on stage.

A singer I worked with recently used an iPad for lyrics. Because the lyrics were just listed in successive paragraphs, the singer went from verse two to three, completely missing the bridge of the song, as it wasn't written on her ipad note.

If people are using ipads as short cuts for learning songs properly, then subtle nuances and changes in the song from verse to verse could well be missed.

Also, if you're paying attention to the ipad, you're not giving your full attention to the performance of your fellow band members, thereby missing the opportunity to react in time to their performance and cues and in turn, provide cues of your own to them.
In the end, is the music of your band a living evolving entity from moment to moment, shaped by the musicians on the stage in that moment, or a collective programme of things to do ?

Fire away
[/quote]

All problems with the user, not the tool...

Edited by Bigwan

Our drummer uses an iPad to play a keys introduction to one of our songs using the Camel Alchemy Mobile App. He has it mounted on one of his cymbal stands, plays it with one hand and can still use feet on kick and snare!

Ralph

[url="http://www.darkskyband.co.uk"]http://www.darkskyband.co.uk[/url]

[/quote]

This is my experience too. Our singer uses an ipad for lyrics, and I'm afraid he is regularly guilty of all of those things. I would rather he actually learnt the songs properly in the first place.

Jazz musicians have started to use ipads/ireal books/mobile apps for gigs for a whole variety of reasons. I co-run a Jazz club which features higher profile musicians with local rhythm section player (wwww.jazzeast.vpweb.co.uk) and we use a selection of methods to get the end product together. Some are tunes everyone knows, some provide charts with arrangements of tunes we all know the substance of, some are chord charts of originals, some provide detailed charts that require concentration and application of advanced reading skills (unison parts, key changes, odd bar lengths etc) and so one. The ipads etc are another tool in the arsenal of options for making it possible to do gigs 'cold' with and with minimal rehearsal. The main advantage of an ipad over a hard copy chart is the ability to change key (in the past, I have had to read charts and transpose them in real time). It is perfectly possible to listen to other musicians, follow cues, maintain satisfactory eye-contact etc whilst reading charts. No-one who reads well (charts or dots) is as welded to the page as many seem to think.

As for music stands/ipads on stage. I think this is one of those issues that is part of the chosen dynamic of the end product. If an artist wants to create the impression of polish that music stands undermine, they are likely to be better rehearsed and work regularly enough to warrant the necessay time investment by the musicians. When John McLaughlin tours, he rehearses his bands for nine hours a day for a couple of weeks in advance. When Miles inducted a new musician, he did so on stage without ANY rehearsal. You get what you prepare for. If you want to have the flexibility to perform a vast array of material at the drop of a hat, an ipad (or, more specifically, the chosen software) is a massive boon.

As for the Titanic band, 150 songs is no big deal. Pianist Mark Ballamy, saxophonist Iain's dad, knew 1,000 tunes. I know 3; So What, Impressions and Lush Life. And I am lying about one of them.

The musicians on the Titanic had to remember over 150 songs, any one of which would be requested in the moment.

[/quote]

...and look where that got them!

For me I need the iPad just to remember the first opening chords, or what key a song is in.

For our upcoming cruise we only need 150 songs, but for the bigger, longer cruises they won't accept you if you don't have at least 400 songs. I'm not a robot! :-)

I run the GLD OneMix app. A few people have asked me about it on gigs. I blows them away when they see the mixing desk presented on an iPad screen.

Its really nice being able to control your monitor mix at your fingertips.

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1399465927' post='2444474']
For me I need the iPad just to remember the first opening chords, or what key a song is in.

For our upcoming cruise we only need 150 songs, but for the bigger, longer cruises they won't accept you if you don't have at least 400 songs. I'm not a robot! :-)
[/quote]

What's the definition of a cruise liner gig? - [i]two [/i]reasons to throw up. Sorry, it just had to come out.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1399460609' post='2444390']
...and look where that got them!
[/quote]

I'm fully prepared for my post to be ridiculed, argued with, taken out of context etc, but that's disrespectful

And ipads do have good uses too, as ebs freak has outlined