Why become a member? ×

anybody else find jam sessions boring?

PaulWarning

I just don't get jamming, doing some turnaround bass line over and over while some guitarist thinks he's Eric Clapton, it must be even worse for anybody that actually has to listen to it.
Mind you I come from the school of thought that says "if you can't say what you want to say in 3 minutes, you're saying too much"

I think it depends very much on the jam! And even then, once you've settled on a jam you enjoy going to, it can vary depending on who turns up. Although yes, typically the bassists don't get too much chance to solo and often find themselves supporting some guitarist's little ego trip - but that can be as boring for the audience as it can for the supporting musicians.

Tony Levin said "I'm a bass player, I enjoy doing the same thing over and over again"

It's what we do, sometimes at least. Shrug. It makes people dance.

Look at it this way - it could be worse, you could be a guitard

I have small children (including one born yesterday); I would kill for regular jam sessions

Depends how organised it is... If someone dectates a key at the start and actually sticks to it then the jam can move in so many differet directions it can stay interesting for ages. If someone starts playing random musically unrelated notes and expects you to play along then yes it'll be crap...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1398698237' post='2436686']
Tony Levin said "I'm a bass player, I enjoy doing the same thing over and over again"

It's what we do, sometimes at least. Shrug. It makes people dance.

Look at it this way - it could be worse, you could be a guitard

I have small children (including one born yesterday); I would kill for regular jam sessions
[/quote]
Off Topic but Congatulations :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1398697931' post='2436675']
I come from the school of thought that says "if you can't say what you want to say in 3 minutes, you're saying too much"
[/quote]

If the great John Coltrane was around, he would disagree.

There is a story where, at a recording session with Miles Davis, Coltrane confesses..."when I go off on a solo, I dont know how to stop.." followed my Miles' quick retort..."try taking the horn outta ya mouth !!" :D

As for jamming, I would agree with others in that it depends on the band.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1398700192' post='2436721']
just me so far then, I actually quit a band once because they insisted on doing a half hour jam at the end of every practice instead of going to the pub, annoyed the hell out of me
[/quote]

Well if it was eating into pub time I can understand.... I wouldn't stand for that either. I like a good jam but there are limits.

Edited by CamdenRob

If you're serious about being a musician then It's impossible to overstate the importance of jamming.
if you're just starting on your path as a musician though, then, it's probably best to confine your jamming to the rehearsal room for the time being.
As a punter, jams can be fun, although my enjoyment of a jam is generally proportional to the musician's ability and creativity.

Edited by SteveK

I'd say it depends on what you're jamming.

Blues-based jams....yeah, OK, I'll do them, but it's not really my thing - they just seem like an excuse for people to solo.

Something based round a decent chord structure, or a nice Can/Neu motorik beat are much more my cup of jam

Edited by ahpook

Don't see the point unless there is an end goal. I might consider it worthwhile/paramount to gauge whether
the unit has any chemistry and whether it will work, but there will be a plan and reason otherwise I wouldn't
be interested.
I don't do random jams.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1398698237' post='2436686']
[/quote]

Congratulado Mucho! Hope everything goes well for you.
And I know what you mean. My small children too were quite irregular with the jam.

Getting my coat, and will ask what a jam is in another thread. As a tender classical boy, I've long wondered.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1398706306' post='2436797']
If you're serious about being a musician then It's impossible to overstate the importance of jamming.[size=4][/quote][/size][size=4][quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1398708833' post='2436835'][/size]I've had many songs start from what was a jam. Someone comes along with an idea & we just mess around with it.
[/quote]

This. The majority of songs in our set came about as a result of recording jams, listening to them, keeping the good ideas and cutting the crap. It's a good way of organically generating material - everyone has an input. I find it boring to learn songs that are already complete. You don't get the opportunity to be part of the creative process and it's just a case of 'coming up with a bass line'.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398722530' post='2437052']
[/size][size=4]

This. The majority of songs in our set came about as a result of recording jams, listening to them, keeping the good ideas and cutting the crap. It's a good way of organically generating material - everyone has an input. I find it boring to learn songs that are already complete. You don't get the opportunity to be part of the creative process and it's just a case of 'coming up with a bass line'.
[/quote]
I'm not talking about playing new songs and refining them, I mean jam sessions that just meander aimlessly along just so that some guitarist can do a 20 minute solo

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1398722946' post='2437057']
I'm not talking about playing new songs and refining them, I mean jam sessions that just meander aimlessly along just so that some guitarist can do a 20 minute solo
[/quote]

Yeah, I think I got the wrong end of the stick.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1398708833' post='2436835']
I've had many songs start from what was a jam. Someone comes along with an idea, whether it be a chord sequence, a riff, a bassline, or a melody & we just mess around with it.
[/quote]

Agree, one of our best songs - imv - happened around a bass-line I came up with at rehearsal. Was just tinkering around, started playing it and the rest of the band just joined in, song sorted. What was good for me was, it wasn`t a song I had an idea of, or even a line I wanted to work in, I just started playing it randomly.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1398722946' post='2437057']
[/quote]

Ah yes, see what you mean Paul, that sort of jamming session. They don`t get my vote either.