Why become a member? ×

anybody else find jam sessions boring?

PaulWarning

Have you thought about taking a non jazz song to jam? Something with a really simple structure & riff based is very easy to play about with.
Bill Wither's "Use Me" is an example of a great song for doing in different styles. One of my old bands used to jam it in a different style every time we played it & every time we did, it was great fun.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1398698237' post='2436686']
Tony Levin said "I'm a bass player, I enjoy doing the same thing over and over again"
[/quote]

Me too, it gives me time to mess about with effects and add some vocal harmonies. Neither of those would work in a tedious blues jam though. :-(

One of the locals does a jam night. Often, one particular band turn up, set up their PA and play loads of songs? Its a gig really. If anybody else wants a jam they get a bit miffed and dont like others using any of their gear (bear in mind they have taken all the available space for any more equipment up with theirs!).
If by chance somebody else gets the chance to play something, their guitarist who knows every song ever written quickly joins in (closely followed by his bass player and singer) and take over. Its quite ridiculous really. Whatever happened to 'lets play something in A'!