Why become a member? ×

Best musician is the bass player

Annoying Twit

Funny thing about the non musician drummer remark...

Two of the most talented musicians I've come across ( played with ) have both been drummers
and I say of one of them.... whoever is regarded as the best player ( any instrument ) around here, and there are quite
a few outstanding players, then one of the drummers is head and shoulders above them...and some. IMO, of course.
but sometimes, you just have to say, there is talent and there is inate talent.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398674376' post='2436300']
Google is unclear about it (as usual), but whoever said it, it's true - and McCartney did record drums on certain songs.
[/quote]

No dispute that McCartney played on some tracks but Ringo was a beautiful drummer for The Beatles and I certainly can't think of anyone that would have fitted in better in fact, I'm fair sure that John Lennon used Ringo as the main drummer for his first album after The Beatles split.
Many drummers try to copy Ringo but it's very difficult.
Oasis did a good job of it though because that's what they wanted....someone to play like Ringo.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1398681976' post='2436420']
No dispute that McCartney played on some tracks but Ringo was a beautiful drummer for The Beatles and I certainly can't think of anyone that would have fitted in better...
[/quote]

:) Indeed. He may not have been the best drummer[i] in[/i] the Beatles but he was the best drummer [i]for[/i] the Beatles.

On-topic: Bootsy Collins in any band he's ever played in?

Much as I really enjoy Bootsy's playing, showmanship, vocals etc I think the genius behind P-Funk is Bernie Worrell; great musical grounding and also sonically very clever. His keyboard parts have cropped up everywhere either on rap records (Prophet 5 or Clavinet through a Mu-tron) as samples or as a featured sideman.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1398680930' post='2436406']
It was Ringo. Voted Best Drummer in a Melody Maker Poll he was asked if he thought he really was the best drummer in the world. His characteristically modest reply: 'I'm not even the best drummer in the Beatles'.
[i]And[/i] it was Lennon, who said the same thing in an interview with the Times. Perhaps it was an in-joke among the lovable Scouse-Tops.
[/quote]

Knowing this makes me glad for some reason.

Haven't seen anyone say "Flea" yet, although Fusciante is somewhat underrated maybe because of his slightly strange life style, Flea certainly has a huge role in the sound and style of his band, and is arguably the best musician amongst them.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1398585864' post='2435413']
In which bands wad/is the bass player the best musician in the band?[/quote]

As the question was "which bands", Cream immediately springs to mind. I wouldn't say Jack Bruce was the best musician in every band he played with, but certainly in Cream.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1398678320' post='2436369']
They are all monster musicians in Snarky Puppy! Have you heard (keys player) Corey Henry's other work? Outstanding!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l0xppLcgl4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=9l0xppLcgl4[/url]
[/quote]

haha awewsome walking bass lines on the hammond

i like this vid of snarky with the look on shaun martin's face in the keys solo

[url="http://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc"]http://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc[/url]

The bass player has to work with rhythm as well as harmony and dynamics and communication and sound etc. The story (true or false!!)about John Paul Jones explaining to Jimmy Page about the difference between a third and a minor third (or something like that)sums it up for me. JPJ was initially the more advanced musician in that band having established himself as a musician before he was a great bassist.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1398757917' post='2437189'] The story (true or false!!)about John Paul Jones explaining to Jimmy Page about the difference between a third and a minor third (or something like that)sums it up for me. [/quote]

Probably false, given that both of them were already in demand session musicians when they first met.

But to address the OP, the original question ignores the fact that bands are all about the musical relationship that exists among the players, so the notion of trying identify one member as being a 'better' musician than the others misses the point entirely. I think there's another thread about bands being more than the sum of their parts and I certainly believe that all the bands whose music I enjoy demonstrate a creative synergy that can't be laid at the door of one individual.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1398595072' post='2435532']
Music is not a competition.
[/quote]

Excactly. The best bands are always greater than the sum of their parts and quite often made up of musicians who on their own wouldn't be particularly regarded for their abilities.

Ultimately the most important members in any band AFAIAC are the ones who write the songs I like the best.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1398777991' post='2437495']
Probably false, given that both of them were already in demand session musicians when they first met.

But to address the OP, the original question ignores the fact that bands are all about the musical relationship that exists among the players, so the notion of trying identify one member as being a 'better' musician than the others misses the point entirely. I think there's another thread about bands being more than the sum of their parts and I certainly believe that all the bands whose music I enjoy demonstrate a creative synergy that can't be laid at the door of one individual.
[/quote]

I don't think there is any incompatibility between bands being about the musical relationships between the players, and discussing whether there are any bands where the bass player is the best musician (by some subjective measure). What makes a band great (or not so great) isn't just one factor, but a combination of a lot of factors. No one that I've noticed is disputing that.

However, I don't think that makes it impossible or unreasonable to single out one factor for separate discussion. We can talk about what (e.g.) makes a person someone's favourite member of a band, and that may not be instrumental prowess. Another thread might talk about bass players who are great songwriters, or bands where the bass player is the main songwriter. Another thread might talk about bass players who are the most physically attractive members of their bands (count me out of this one :)).

I.e. this thread 'ignoring' other important factors doesn't mean that this thread or I as the OP don't consider them important. Just that this thread was started to discuss one aspect of bass players in bands in particular.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1398780438' post='2437518']
Ultimately the most important members in any band AFAIAC are the ones who write the songs I like the best.
[/quote]

I agree. However, you may not have liked those songs quite as much had they not being interpreted and performed a certain way by top class musicians.

AFAIK, the great James Jamerson wrote little or no songs. Yet at one time he was not allowed to leave the studio to tour, in case some major artist wanted to record. Most artists at the time, wanted him and [i]only [/i]him as the bassist on their songs.

Chuck Rainey did not write any of "Steely Dan's" songs, yet he was an integral part of the band for a long time.

Just sayin'....! ;)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1398682688' post='2436432']

:) Indeed. He may not have been the best drummer[i] in[/i] the Beatles but he was the best drummer [i]for[/i] the Beatles.
[/quote]

The mix on the Beatles love album thing reveals some really nice drumming.
Back on topic what about Jim Lea in Slade ?

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1398756008' post='2437170']
[/quote]

STOP THAT VID IMMEDIATELY!!!
I CAN'T BREATHE!!!

Thanks for posting, fellow catman!
I thought Snarky Puppy kept me lukewarm.
Then this...

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1398756008' post='2437170']...i like this vid of snarky with the look on shaun martin's face in the keys solo...[/quote]

My first time listen to these folks. Uber fine. Thanks for posting; my day ([i]Week..? More..?[/i]) is made. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1398756008' post='2437170']
haha awewsome walking bass lines on the hammond

[media]http://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc[/media]
[/quote]

Hol-Lee-F__________