Why become a member? ×

The Chops or the Personality/drive

gapiro

So, we had trumpet auditions last night. got through 5 people but narrowed down to 2 quite easily.
(Back story : 7 piece soul/pop/funk function band just started)
Just trying to guage what your thoughts are which you would pick.

Number 1
Player 1 comes in, is very aimiable and friendly immediately, starts chatting to people. Proceeds to pull out a folder with the parts we sent him, covered in notes (as in pencil scribblings etc) and has clearly learnt all the parts. He hasn't been playing much for last couple of years as has been mostly focussing on sound engineering and building his business. Now feels that he is in a position to start playing again and spent last two weeks getting back up to speed on trumpet. During the build up to audition, he has been in contact lots , asking very good and pertinent questions etc.
When it comes to the audition pieces, his timing is bang on, however his tone is a bit weak, and he struggles with a couple of the high notes.

Number 2
Player 2 comes in, is quite shy and clearly not massively comfortable. Hasn't brought any music with him, and has to borrow a copy we had with us. Doesn't appear he has practised (he looks at the music and goes "ooo 5 sharps!?").He plays in a military band for a living during the day however lives in London (we are all cambridge based) so would be travelling for rehearsals.
Comes to audition, he has really strong tone, and huge set of lungs. Struggled a little bit with some of the syncopated timing, but was clearly the stronger trumpet wise.

Which would you choose?

My personal opinion is number 1, I think he will get stronger with practise and has the drive and personality that will help drive the band forward,

Vote in the band was 3/3 split, although the 3 that picked number 1 (my self drummer and singer) are the most experienced in terms of bands whilst the other 3 are fantastic players (all music grads) who have less band experience.

[i]Trust your instincts[/i].

If I was in your position, and felt the way that you do, I would personally go with number 1 because.......
[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1392299123' post='2366939']
He plays in a military band for a living during the day however lives in London (we are all cambridge based) so would be travelling for rehearsals.
[/quote]
Let me explain...military personnel are indoctrinated into a life style of following orders ([i]trust me[/i], I [i]know [/i]this) and doing what they are told - this leaves little scope for creativity and spontaneity.

This is not congruent with my musical ethos!

I'd call back number 1... as you want a section player so solo chops 'less' important.
The high note thing is a concern but if he is out of practice this may be the first thing to go...
If he is willing to put the time in then he is the best bet of the two, just by reading the OP... IMV

or just re-advertise very quickly and keep the first guy sweet with a view to a call-back..
You do need a strong hand to play this game though ..... i.e you are a viable gigging band with a reputation..??

I guess it depends how weak is weak..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1392302068' post='2367006'] I would also say that Ex military can be fab players and disciplined... so a very good combo, IMO. [/quote]

Yup 100%

I would also go for #1

I would rather have someone whose work ethic outside the rehearsal room is stronger and gets on with everyone well than someone who feels they are good enough to walk into a room and knock you all dead on your feet from cold, because in a few weeks #1 will be where you need him to be, or you can move him on, whereas #2 will never put the time in, instead relying on sight reading chops to get the job done, and on a gig that could be a problem in some eventualities

Re-advertise, and get number 1 back for a few more rehearsals. Explain to him that he's currently your choice to join, but you want to (at the moment), leave your options open to see how it works out.

That will -

1) Give him time to practice more, and get his playing chops back up.

2) Give you chance to see that he can play to the standard you want.

3) Give you and maybe him a get out option if it's not working, plus hopefully you'll have had some more people contact you.

Edited by ambient

Number 1 would be my vote. If you are unsure re high notes etc then have an extended audition period and have him come along to the next two or three rehearsals before making a decision. This allows him to get to know the band and the band to get to know him and see if he continues to put the effort in and improve.

Another number 1 guy here. The reason being that it's way more important to be able to play/read/feel the rhythms. The top register is cosmetic, it adds drama but if you listen to any live James Brown, Stax Revue or even Allen Rubin with the Blues Brothers, they'll all drop it an octave for a bit as the top end is extremely tiring. I did my degree playing the trumpet and spent years as a Soul Band trumpeter; the stamina does come back, and breathing and suitable mouthpieces all help.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1392331115' post='2367613']
Out of the 2, No.1 - but there is the risk that he won't improve, so I'd go with ambient's suggestions ^^^
[/quote]

I'd say given that #1 showed commitment and had done his homework, it would be unlikely for him not to improve.
Also he was straight up about not having played for a while which means he's honest, too.