Why become a member? ×

After 8 years of searching....... (Yamaha 2024MX content)

Beedster

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1391156457' post='2353798']
I assume from Chris' updated sig its not a Fender but a Yamaha BB2024. Can I collect my £5 now please? :D
[/quote]

It is indeed mate, and what an amazing instrument, does pretty much everything I need in a bass, does it with a passive circuit, and is as easy to play as was my old Modulus Flea, my reference point in this respect. I've spent the last two nights A/B'ing it against other basses, and the Yammy just blows them out of the water. In terms of PJs, nothing I've played by Fender or Sadowsky gets close.

Of course, many of you will now be keeping a keen eye on the For Sale forum :rolleyes:

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1391162221' post='2353880']
How long have you had it ? Don't mean to be cynical, but Ive said this before, and have heard it said many times by others (and not just about basses)

I am happy for you though
[/quote]

+1
It's embarrassing isn't it. You announce to the whole BC community that you've found 'the one' only to list it in the 'for sale' forum 2 hours / days / weeks later. I've learned not to say anything now. That said, I love my BB414 and am currently saving to buy Chris's 2024 when it comes up for sale :lol:

Good news Chris and I hope that she becomes remains 'The Special One' :) It is a very peculiar thing though this GAS malarkey.

I'm loving the Roscoe Beck. The versatility of the beast is amazing, again a passive bass with a whole lot of tone. A great jazz, it works really well with series coil too for that extra something. Series coil and neck pickup does all the 70's rock stuff so well.

So, me not being a Fender dude, now has a 3TS Fender with a red tort plate and I love it.

A couple of days ago I had a play of a 3TS CIJ Fender 70's re-issue P with a Bare Knuckle 65 and a Badass II and there goes another story.......

Glad it's working out Chris, I'm equally happy.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

I've no doubt that this isn't 'the best' Precision Bass, or even the best Yamaha Precision Bass, but I can justify my enthusiasm in pretty clear terms.

I have - as the pages of BC will testify - owned an awful lot of basses, mostly the work of, or derivatives of the work of, Leo Fender, and for a brief period some by Ric and Modulus. Whilst I've often gushed about nearly all of them, and whilst most of them were very good instruments for what they were, all had limitations if I looked beyond the 'what they were' argument. By this I mean that my c64 and v63 were outstanding Rics and outstanding instruments, they did the Ric thing incredibly well, but there are times at which the Ric thing isn't right. Likewise most of my Precisions did the Precision thing very well, but on occasions I needed a little bit more. My late '90s Modulus Flea was the most playable and powerful bass i've owned, but it's core tone was a little Jazz/Stingray, when the core tone I look for is more Precision/Ric. In short, for a long time I've been looking for a bass that is more than what it says on the label - Precision, Jazz, 4001, Ray or Flea.

The obvious approach given my preference for the Precision tone has been to look for a good P/J. Probably the closest I got were Sadowsky P/Js but they just didn't quite do it, I found the J-PUP a bit tame and needing a lot of active grunt to make it work alongside the P-PUP, and to be honest, I prefer passive instruments. The Fender Roscoe Beck was amazingly versatile for a passive bass, but despite all that I read about it on here and Talkbass, I couldn't really get the Precision tone I wanted out of it.

In fact I wanted this.

1. A core tone very close to that of a traditional Precision (like most - but not all - of my Precisions)
2. Versatile (like my Bongo, my Wals and my RBIV)
3. Simple controls and circuit (like most of my Precisions and my Rics, unlike my two Wals)
4. High build quality, structurally and functionally 100% reliable (like my Wals and Sadowskys)
4. High playability (like my Modulus Flea),
5. Passive (as were most of my Fenders, and my Rics, I just don't really like active instruments as much as passive)
6. Classic looking (like most of the above, unlike the Bongo)

Now the Yamaha ticks all of those boxes, and it's the first bass I've owned that does. Moreover, unlike any P/J I've owned, not only is the J-PUP powerful and sweet soloed, but it works incredibly well with the P-PUP, producing a tone that is unique yet highly useable. I think it's fair to say that with pretty much every P/J I'd owned previously, I'd use the P-PUP for some songs, the J-PUP for others, but rarely the two combined, in fact on many P/Js the combined tone is weak to the point of being unusable, or with some active basses, too synthetic for my tastes. On this bass - as was the case with my c64 - I start with both PUPs on full all of the time with the tone fully open, and make small changes from there. In fact, a huge amount of the versatility of this bass comes from the power of the PUPs, which really respond to what my hands are doing, and the sheer playability of the thing, meaning that I can get the hands in question to be a whole lot more expressive and versatile than on many other basses.

And over and above all of this, it's built like a tank. Furthermore, and interestingly to my mind, whilst it feels and plays like a £2500 bass, it looks like a £500 bass. This is the opposite of a few Fender Custom Shop basses I've played which looked like £2500 instruments but felt and played like a £500 model. I don't like gigging with basses that look really valuable, so I find this an asset.

All in all, as basses and me go, this is as good a pairing as I've had to date. Of course I'm not naive enough to say it's 'the one', and even if it was, things change. I am however bloody happy with it

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1391856788' post='2361988']
I've no doubt that this isn't 'the best' Precision Bass, or even the best Yamaha Precision Bass, but I can justify my enthusiasm in pretty clear terms.

I have - as the pages of BC will testify - owned an awful lot of basses, mostly the work of, or derivatives of the work of, Leo Fender, and for a brief period some by Ric and Modulus. Whilst I've often gushed about nearly all of them, and whilst most of them were very good instruments for what they were, all had limitations if I looked beyond the 'what they were' argument. By this I mean that my c64 and v63 were outstanding Rics and outstanding instruments, they did the Ric thing incredibly well, but there are times at which the Ric thing isn't right. Likewise most of my Precisions did the Precision thing very well, but on occasions I needed a little bit more. My late '90s Modulus Flea was the most playable and powerful bass i've owned, but it's core tone was a little Jazz/Stingray, when the core tone I look for is more Precision/Ric. In short, for a long time I've been looking for a bass that is more than what it says on the label - Precision, Jazz, 4001, Ray or Flea.

The obvious approach given my preference for the Precision tone has been to look for a good P/J. Probably the closest I got were Sadowsky P/Js but they just didn't quite do it, I found the J-PUP a bit tame and needing a lot of active grunt to make it work alongside the P-PUP, and to be honest, I prefer passive instruments. The Fender Roscoe Beck was amazingly versatile for a passive bass, but despite all that I read about it on here and Talkbass, I couldn't really get the Precision tone I wanted out of it.

In fact I wanted this.

1. A core tone very close to that of a traditional Precision (like most - but not all - of my Precisions)
2. Versatile (like my Bongo, my Wals and my RBIV)
3. Simple controls and circuit (like most of my Precisions and my Rics, unlike my two Wals)
4. High build quality, structurally and functionally 100% reliable (like my Wals and Sadowskys)
4. High playability (like my Modulus Flea),
5. Passive (as were most of my Fenders, and my Rics, I just don't really like active instruments as much as passive)
6. Classic looking (like most of the above, unlike the Bongo)

Now the Yamaha ticks all of those boxes, and it's the first bass I've owned that does. Moreover, unlike any P/J I've owned, not only is the J-PUP powerful and sweet soloed, but it works incredibly well with the P-PUP, producing a tone that is unique yet highly useable. I think it's fair to say that with pretty much every P/J I'd owned previously, I'd use the P-PUP for some songs, the J-PUP for others, but rarely the two combined, in fact on many P/Js the combined tone is weak to the point of being unusable, or with some active basses, too synthetic for my tastes. On this bass - as was the case with my c64 - I start with both PUPs on full all of the time with the tone fully open, and make small changes from there. In fact, a huge amount of the versatility of this bass comes from the power of the PUPs, which really respond to what my hands are doing, and the sheer playability of the thing, meaning that I can get the hands in question to be a whole lot more expressive and versatile than on many other basses.

And over and above all of this, it's built like a tank. Furthermore, and interestingly to my mind, whilst it feels and plays like a £2500 bass, it looks like a £500 bass. This is the opposite of a few Fender Custom Shop basses I've played which looked like £2500 instruments but felt and played like a £500 model. I don't like gigging with basses that look really valuable, so I find this an asset.

All in all, as basses and me go, this is as good a pairing as I've had to date. Of course I'm not naive enough to say it's 'the one', and even if it was, things change. I am however bloody happy with it

C
[/quote]

Really enjoyed reading this post, great explanation of what you want from a bass and how the new one fits your criteria, glad you are enjoying your new twang thang :)

John :)

I too can testify that these basses are immense, and this is the nicest one I have ever seen .

What is so captivating about this model is that Yamaha have judged the sound so well. On the face of things, it's a traditional PJ and it has some elements of the classic Fender tones in its' sonic DNA somewhere, but at the same time it has its' own characteristic sound that is much more modern and , to my ears, very similar to the older neck-thru Yamaha basses of yesteryear. There is an inherent crispness and " edge" to every note you play on these basses that is very appealing, and the bottom end from that Precision pickup is massive .Compared to any Fender I have ever played, it sounds like it has got a subwoofer on it!. They just sound right somehow for any style of music you care to think of, whether you want to emulate modern or vintage tones. I rate these basses alongside the very best basses available today at any price , both in terms of sound and build quality. Apart from that crappy cheap switch that Yamaha insist on using.

Edited by Dingus

I know nothing about basses really, I still regard myself as a total beginner. But I saved up hard and bought a BB1024X, and I love it. It's solid, sounds great and is relatively simple. I have played other basses such as American fenders and stingrays in the shops and then come home and play my yamaha and smile. :)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1391860642' post='2362051']

Really enjoyed reading this post, great explanation of what you want from a bass and how the new one fits your criteria, glad you are enjoying your new twang thang :)

John :)
[/quote]+1 a very good appraisal of both the new beast and your needs.