Why become a member? ×

Bassists who don't play in bands - what do you do?

Greggo

Just out of curiosity to all the non band bassists, how do you get your "bass" kicks?

Do you like to record your own music, play along with songs, or just general noodle at home?

I play in a band but is ever declining and we never really gig. To be honest I get more pleasure just jamming with a drum machine for 30 mins a night these days. I also really enjoy going round to my mates house and laying down a bassline to some riffs he may have and record a track.

Just curious as to what anyone else does that may not be in a band or any longer in a band.

Edited by Greggo

I'm often not involved with a band so I also enjoy recording at home to drum tracks, sometimes building up tracks with a keyboard-playing friend. I also write songs and record them, singing and playing all the instruments.

Every time I go for a jam with some players somewhere, it's when I'm carrying my bass rig up 6 flights of stairs that I remember why I'm not fussy about being in a band so much these days.

I play guitar, bass and DB but not in a band any more, never really enjoyed gigging. I actually really enjoy just playing along to stuff I like, generally a mixture of new songs and ones I know in my sleep. I use one of the Tascam Bass trainers to plug into whilst my wife is watching Come Dine With Me or something on TV, I can just go into my music room and disappear for half an hour: - no arguing, no learning material you don't like, no politics, no lugging your rig out and about. Occasionally I will go and do a bit of jamming with mates and I do a bit of songwriting and recording at home but that is about it.
My ideal would be to join a local band who just did it for the fun and didn't worry about gigging, just turn up to a studio once a fortnight, turn up the volume and have a blast for a couple of hours then go for a beer...
The biggest downside is trying to justify to my better half my habit for buying or improving all of my gear with no band. :)

On a good day I play actual tunes. Yes, I'm sorry, not bass-lines particularly. I read and play music scores. It started with me wanting to learn to read the tuition books without simply following tabs, and went on from there. I've only been playing 3 years, so I'm not good enough yet to be in a band... er well.. maybe.

On a not so good day, (from a playing perspective) I take basses apart and build them and play about with the elects to learn more about the sounds they change.

On a bad day I "do a Milty".

My playing is restricted to three types.

1. Aimless noodling and messing around with pedals. Usually Mon to Thurs (30 - 60 minutes post work comedown)
2. Learning songs or new techniques (weekend stuff)
3. Writing music usually from ideas created in number 1. (weekend stuff - tends to happen Sunday evening when wifey is watching countryfile or something like that)

Now and again I go and jam with guitarist friends or share riffs over the internet.

It's all about me time really. A nice way to zone out from lifes trials and tribulations.

As I am just learning the bass having started again a few months ago having not played a four string beast for more years then I care to mention! I am practising scales, learning riffs/songs via the web (YouTube etc.), making up bass lines and trying to remember them the next day, also started playing along to a metronome this week, I guess I am playing 2-3 hours a day at the moment due to unemployment, usually play when the wife is at her p/t job so I don't annoy her :P

John :)

I would love to join an old gitz band but not really interested in gigging every w/e and don't want to travel very far to practice and......this is the biggy....would like to ..like..the people that I play with. Was in a rock band 20 odd year ago...when you get older you are amazed at the s.i.e that you put up with when you were younger. I have a home recording studio and do most of the stuff. What happens is that it becomes all about the music..all the politics and fightin an sweatin an lugging cabs up 3 flights goes...but so does some of the fun...

Monday - Experiment with dropping tuning down a whole step, play for a while, adjust to a half step down, eventually decide it was ok in standard tuning.

Tuesday - Spend most of the evening making minor adjustments to string height, pickup height, make sure all scratch plate screws are tight.

Wednesday - Alternate between my two basses trying to decide which one is best and if you can actually hear the difference between maple and rosewood fingerboard.

Thursday - I like to spend thursdays sharing a bottle of wine with Miss Manzie, occasionally interrupting the TV by asking her for an opinion on what strap height looks coolest and if she likes the white or the sunburst precision.

Friday - Time to knuckle down and practice! I find the best way to practice is play the wrong notes over Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' for two hours.

Saturday - Unfortunately the depression brought on by Friday's terrible practice session has resulted in a conviction to sell both basses and the rig. Spend time researching prices on the internet.

Sunday - Realisation! It's not my playing that's the problem, it's because I don't have the right bass! Spend all evening looking at Basschat classifieds and listening to clips of Stingrays on YouTube.

Monday - Hmmm. Maybe I don't need a Stingray. Let's try dropping the tuning down a whole step...

Edited by tedmanzie

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1389347587' post='2333040']
Monday - Experiment with dropping tuning down a whole step, play for a while, adjust to a half step down, eventually decide it was ok in standard tuning.

Tuesday - Spend most of the evening making minor adjustments to string height, pickup height, make sure all scratch plate screws are tight.

Wednesday - Alternate between my two basses trying to decide which one is best and if you can actually hear the difference between maple and rosewood fingerboard.

Thursday - I like to spend thursdays sharing a bottle of wine with Miss Manzie, occasionally interrupting the TV by asking her for an opinion on what strap height looks coolest and if she likes the white or the sunburst precision.

Friday - Time to knuckle down and practice! I find the best way to practice is play the wrong notes over Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On' for two hours.

Saturday - Unfortunately the depression brought on by Friday's terrible practice session has resulted in a conviction to sell both basses and the rig. Spend time researching prices on the internet.

Sunday - Realisation! It's not my playing that's the problem, it's because I don't have the right bass! Spend all evening looking at Basschat classifieds and listening to clips of Stingrays on YouTube.

Monday - Hmmm. Maybe I don't need a Stingray. Let's try dropping the tuning down a whole step...
[/quote]

:lol:

Well I started playing bass 50 years ago :o, made my first bass with my Dad in '64, played in a number of bands from '65 to '76, getting married in '75 sort of messed things up :D so I retired from the live music scene, having made a fortune that would last me forever :rolleyes: always had a bass around the house, my interest in playing took off again when I got divorced in 2000 - I started playing around a bit :huh: retired from work in 2002 :) then in 2008 I found a new partner who encouraged my playing & still does ;)

Now my arthritic old bones slow me down a bit but I still play some most every day & fill my time doing a few repairs, set-ups, wiring jobs etc. B) did I mention looking at basschat occasionally? :gas:

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1389339558' post='2332942']
My ideal would be to join a local band who just did it for the fun and didn't worry about gigging, just turn up to a studio once a fortnight, turn up the volume and have a blast for a couple of hours then go for a beer...
[/quote]

This is something I would enjoy getting involved in. I can't imagine I'd ever have the balls to get up in front of a crowd.

Very interesting thread this.
I have never not been in a band of some description so I could not imagine playing my bass (or 6 string before that) without being in a band. When I was 13 I dreamed of being on stage so I learnt guitar to become a rock star in a band. Now I am 40 I still dream of being a rock star (although its fading fast) and couldn't imagine only playing my guitars at home.

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1389352920' post='2333106']
I can't imagine I'd ever have the balls to get up in front of a crowd.
[/quote]

You don't start by playing the O2. You don't even start by playing the Dog & Duck.

You start by playing a simple 12-bar blues at a jam session where nobody is even vaguely interested in your technique.

Little steps. Lots of little steps. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389354273' post='2333138']
Yes, believe in your balls! Though gigging does tend to make them sweaty, I find. :happy:
Scrotal adhesion is a small price to pay for the benefits of live performance, however.
[/quote]

If your balls get sweaty, wait until you get home and make a nice Moroccan Martini for your loved one.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389354519' post='2333145']
You don't start by playing the O2. You don't even start by playing the Dog & Duck.

You start by playing a simple 12-bar blues at a jam session where nobody is even vaguely interested in your technique.

Little steps. Lots of little steps. :)
[/quote]
Also there's so much more you can contribute to a band other than just bass playing. Being punctual, team spirited, booking gigs, doing promotions (FaceBook, BC etc) and just being a good egg. I think thats why I have not been out of a band for the past 7 years despite not being very technically proficient

I play a few instruments and am no longer playing bass in any bands. These days I'm getting my gigging and music-as-social-activity fix from playing squeezebox for border morris, so bass playing is restricted to noodling for fun and adding bass parts to my own recordings. I don't own a bass amp any more, and either use a pre-amp pedal or software amp sim for recording (or sometimes just pure DI).

Believe it or not, some of us never planned to play live, be it Donington, our local or a jam session in a friend's living room, when we picked up a bass for the first time.
Some of us love working out basslines by ear - while at the same time discovering and analysing the structure of the song, and opening it like a little box of fascinating tricks. Once we've done that, we play along to it until we get it right/can't get it wrong, then punch the air and go "Yess!". :D
Repeat ad infinitum, or for as long as fingers and ears keep functioning :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1389354519' post='2333145'] You don't start by playing the O2. You don't even start by playing the Dog & Duck. You start by playing a simple 12-bar blues at a jam session where nobody is even vaguely interested in your technique. Little steps. Lots of little steps. :) [/quote]

+lots. I convinced myself for at least 10 years I wasn't up to 'the standard' before venturing to a jam session. 10 wasted years in my book and my only real regret music-wise. Get out and have a go, nothing to lose and if you then decide live gigging with others isn't your thing I'd put money on the experience developing yourself as a player. You can pick up a whole bunch of stuff from playing with other musos that hours of bedroom noodling won't replace.