Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision or a Musicman Stingray

thebassist

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417091803' post='2616979']
I'm all about the jazz bass these days!
[/quote]

I used to be all about the Jazz myself until very recently. Got the opportunity to try out a Stingray HH 4 string in a shop and it blew me away. It did EVERYTHING I want a bass to do (Stingray tone for the agressive stuff we do (back pickup), Jazz tone from both single coil options (albeit with the Musicman DNA in there) and a precision tone from the front pickup. VERY versatile bass, great build quality, looks right and feels right. I bought it then sold my 2012 USA Jazz and 2009 USA Jazz Deluxe to pay for it and couldn't be happier. The Jazzes were great basses but the Stingray HH just ticks every box for me. Even the G string is well balanced :)

[quote]

Did any of the Ray nays on this thread ever try flatwound on their Rays? Now there's a classy and very versatile combination.....
[/quote]

That's my chosen combination and it seems to be an winner with the rest of the band. I play an EB SR5 with ceramic pup, 3 band EQ and I love it. Since switching to it I tend to use less pedals as the bass tone just hits the spot. I find a wealth of tones through switching playing positions and between finger and puck styles.

I also find them very comfortable to play so have no reason to look elsewhere.

I should add that me and my bass are still on honeymoon and that I also like P basses :)

Edited by Pinball

I've owned both but only still have a P so I guess that makes me more of a P player. I think that at one time I had a wild notion of having one each of accepted 'classic' basses as a collection but quickly dispensed with the notion, particularly after trying out a T-Bird and realising I was never going to be really comfortable with that shape from a playing point of view. I still have (to me) decent examples of P, Jazz and a Ric so I guess I have 3 'classic' boxes still ticked.

I played a P bass in the studio on a couple of tracks of the album my old band did. It was OK, I didn't quite feel at home with it (it does sound good on the tracks however- it just doesn't have 'my' sound, to my ears it may as well be somebody else playing).

I also played a Japanese P bass in a rehearsal once (in the P look that I love, black/black with maple) and it was great, much better than the one I'd used on the recordings, but it still didn't sound like my sound.

I've had my Stingray (3EQ) for 5 years now and I adore it. I've sold all the other basses I've owned because it just sounds to me like 'me'; when I think up basslines etc, I always imagine them with the tone that my Stingray gives me. I just feel comfortable with it.

Plus it looks brilliant and has an extra "cool" vibe that the Precision just doesn't have, IMO (subjective of course!).

Both great basses but subjectivity is the key!

• 2 weeks later...

Fender P gets my vote. Don't get me wrong I own stingray and and currently still own a bongo and I use my P bass 90% of the gig. The bongo is going through a sale process so i won't even have any MM bass soon.

Reason to go P bass in my opinion is that the bass is so simple to get the sound. Full on volume and tone and plug in and play. Less messing around on the EQ .....

When I get alot of knobs on the bass I start messing with them, i rather have none and concentrate on playing lol.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1418121048' post='2626957']
Fender P gets my vote. Don't get me wrong I own stingray and and currently still own a bongo and I use my P bass 90% of the gig. The bongo is going through a sale process so i won't even have any MM bass soon.

Reason to go P bass in my opinion is that the bass is so simple to get the sound. Full on volume and tone and plug in and play. Less messing around on the EQ .....

When I get alot of knobs on the bass I start messing with them, i rather have none and concentrate on playing lol.
[/quote]

:P