Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision or a Musicman Stingray

thebassist

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1418166743' post='2627705']
That`a awesome - really like the song, never heard JB I don`t think, and that P-Bass, well that is what a Precision is all about.
[/quote]

Lozz...google the whole concert Glasto 2010 as a starter.
He has always been the real deal and was the conduit, along with Linda Ronstadt that all the Calfornian guys passed through
in the early '70's... including the Eagles. They all bowed to Jackson Browne as a writer.. and only the Eagles broke higher.
He did, of course, write 'Take it easy' as well.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418201123' post='2627819']
This is standard bass/drum syncopation ... no biggie.. it takes the P bass to sit there, IMO
[/quote]

Well that's my point - people will make buying decisions on how a bass sounds in isolation, when in fact the bass guitar is not, nor should be, a solo instrument and only reveals it's true tone when in concert. In my humble opinion.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418153206' post='2627488'] Anyone care to tell me this ISN'T just the bollocks..!!! [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Wz076V1Fg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Wz076V1Fg[/url] Classic P... and the reason why I want one... :lol: [/quote]

Nice tunes,
Remember to stick some flats on there if your looking for that kind of thump and rounded sound.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418211144' post='2627937']
Well that's my point - people will make buying decisions on how a bass sounds in isolation, when in fact the bass guitar is not, nor should be, a solo instrument and only reveals it's true tone when in concert. In my humble opinion.
[/quote]

My whole point was how the bass sat on the track...which is what a P will do with a half decent mix,
........... and half decent players.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1418211440' post='2627943']
Having 'researched' the Jackson Browne live seam on YouTube following the excellent Glasto performance - thanks JTUK, I note that the Bass player does have a Stingray on stage (fretless I think)
[/quote]

:lol: ...only got as far as the Lakland 5 ...
I'll check out the rest.

Different bass player for the tour, Bob Glaub, who again is a P bass and flats guy.

I feel sick.

The more I play my new Precision, the more I like it. As the strings lost the initial zing (but still remain bright) the bass just seemed to get in a "zone" that's just... fat and creamy and I love it.
I haven't played any other bass (gigs, I mean... at home the others get occasionally some attention) since I bought it nearly two months ago.
It wasn't love at first sight... I liked it a lot from the start, yes, but I didn't really start to TRULY love it until a bit later, as I learned how to adapt to its sound.

Last night I had a rehearsal, and it was just soooo right, that I realised I was not going to bother with a preamp on this one ;)
Yes, I seem to be addicted to onboard preamps, in particular John East's mid-sweep module. I just love how you can tweak the midrange "just so" from the bass. But with this band, the Precision just seems to fit and anything I want I can get from its rudimentary tone control. I normally have the volume fully open, and the tone backed off just a bit... and the ancient and battered Trace Elliot 410 combo that they have in this studio (and that I normally hate) made me smile. Really. Just like that.

Admission: ok, it's not just the Precision. I started using the EBS Multicomp compressor that I had stopped bothering to bring to rehearsals. It seems that a tiny touch of compression goes a long way.

Only one other bass has made me enjoy playing so much: yup, the Stingray.

So what's this talk about Precision [u][b]or[/b][/u] Stingray?

OR????

Pah!

BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the Precision has been a total surprise to me. I thought I hated it, really did. Now I want another Classic50 to use different strings on.

Like I said... I feel sick. :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1418289012' post='2628725']
I feel sick.

The more I play my new Precision, the more I like it. As the strings lost the initial zing (but still remain bright) the bass just seemed to get in a "zone" that's just... fat and creamy and I love it.
I haven't played any other bass (gigs, I mean... at home the others get occasionally some attention) since I bought it nearly two months ago.
It wasn't love at first sight... I liked it a lot from the start, yes, but I didn't really start to TRULY love it until a bit later, as I learned how to adapt to its sound.

Last night I had a rehearsal, and it was just soooo right, that I realised I was not going to bother with a preamp on this one ;)
Yes, I seem to be addicted to onboard preamps, in particular John East's mid-sweep module. I just love how you can tweak the midrange "just so" from the bass. But with this band, the Precision just seems to fit and anything I want I can get from its rudimentary tone control. I normally have the volume fully open, and the tone backed off just a bit... and the ancient and battered Trace Elliot 410 combo that they have in this studio (and that I normally hate) made me smile. Really. Just like that.

Admission: ok, it's not just the Precision. I started using the EBS Multicomp compressor that I had stopped bothering to bring to rehearsals. It seems that a tiny touch of compression goes a long way.

Only one other bass has made me enjoy playing so much: yup, the Stingray.

So what's this talk about Precision [u][b]or[/b][/u] Stingray?

OR????

Pah!

BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the Precision has been a total surprise to me. I thought I hated it, really did. Now I want another Classic50 to use different strings on.

Like I said... I feel sick. :lol:
[/quote]
Could be something in it, I hadn't used my Ray for a while and took it to practice yesterday.
We have 2 gigs this weekend and the Ray gets the nod :)
I'm with you on the comp, use the same one and it's always with me.
Yes you need a Ray a P and a Jazz.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1418376386' post='2629627']
I guess it all depends what kind of tone your after, a little punchier in this vid.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKEHQdONP90"]https://www.youtube....h?v=NKEHQdONP90[/url]
[/quote]

I didn't like his playing tone most of the time, especially on the ray-that was horrid

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418390146' post='2629817']
None of the stuff/sounds he played would be what I'd use a P bass for...and in that regard it came off worse, IMO..
The Jazz shaded it for me most of the time and was in the top 2 picks for all the styles he used.
[/quote]

I agree, the jazz was only tone that shone in that vid. To be fair he looked like he was just comparing all his basses rather than to do a serious comparison

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1418374816' post='2629603']
A comparison here [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4rY1wLlKak"]https://www.youtube....h?v=z4rY1wLlKak[/url]
[/quote]

I'd really like to see one of these comparison / "shootout" videos to feature a real band, with different musical styles.

I took a P bass with flats through a valve preamp to rehearsal last night, it covered everything in a 24 song genre varied function set beautifully.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1418391415' post='2629834']

I'd really like to see one of these comparison / "shootout" videos to feature a real band, with different musical styles.

I took a P bass with flats through a valve preamp to rehearsal last night, it covered everything in a 24 song genre varied function set beautifully.
[/quote]
That's because the tone was in your fingers all along, you would have coped with a Ray or a Jazz just fine no doubt :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417252248' post='2618527']
nothing sits like a P.
[/quote]

Both of my Jazz Basses sit exactly like a P on the front pickup, a lot more versatile, and a lot better looking to boot!

There are a lot of gigs where the Fender "character" just doesn't cut it though, and that's personally when I appreciate the 'Ray's flamboyance! ;-)