Why become a member? ×

We have been string break free for ......days.

Dom in Dorset

I've never bust a bass string, and only once broke an electric guitar string (at a rehearsal). I have had a couple of guitars fail mid-rehearsal - one a bad solder joint came undone; the other the pickup selector switch died.

IMO the most likely failure mode is for the electronics to die, so both my active basses have a passive mode. I always take two electric guitars to a gig, but have generally winged (wung?) it with one bass. The requirement for a 'spare' is my justification for the GAS referred to below.

I used to often break the E and A strings which I put down to bad technique and my amp not being loud enough. I finally found somewhere I could buy single strings as I was hating having to buy whole sets to replace 1 string (and acquired a large collection of D and G strings) and I've not broken one since!

Years ago I went through a phase of breaking strings - all E's & A's. Fortunately it only ever happened at rehearsals and never on a gig. The particular brand of strings in question had step-down windings at the ball end, and all the breaks occurred at the bridge. Quickly moved on to another manufacturer, and have never broken another one since.

Only ever broke one string gigging - at Jillys rock club in Manchester in the 80s - the core went on the A and I tried to pull the thing off, which lacerated the palm of my right hand; blood everywhere, very rock 'n roll, but it friggin hurt...

I take two basses to every gig, not broken a string since.

Broken a couple, but only on my old noodler which I only change the strings on once a decade. I've seen a bottom E go mid-gig on a Gibson Explorer, which took the bloke ages to change. I was within earshot of JJ Burnel once, as he was telling Jason How, CEO of Rotosound, that if he doesn't change his strings after every gig, he will break a bottom E for certain.

Nearly all the string breakages I've had have occurred when they were new which leads me to believe that in my case it is mainly down manufacturing flaws rather than set-up or technique issues. Generally if a string lasts through 2 or 3 gigs or rehearsals then it will last me until I think it's time to change them all due to them sounding too dull.

Haven't broken a string for many a year. But here's an anecdote that I think on the subconscious level led to me being a bass player (may have posted it on BC before but I can't remember):

My first ever proper concert was Rod Stewart at Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester in about 1975. Support act was Liverpool Express. IIRC their bass player/singer, Billy Kinsley, broke both an E and an A string during the opening number .

Never broken one in 40+ years. The blues guitarist Russell Sinclair who I am plying with now uses 13-56 on a Les Paul Studio and gets through several wound strings every gig! He is a) very grateful for a string endorsement, and B) in need of a Graphtech String Saver saddle set!

I take a spare set to gigs but at present have stopped carrying a spare bass despite having perfectly capable backups at home. Never broken a string whilst playing though I vaguely recall one breaking on me when I was fitting a new set (probably Rotos) years ago, retailer replaced it with no quibbles as I recall. Had no issues with the cheap as chips ones I've been gigging with regularly this year. If anyone else fancies a dabble with them they are these;

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Strings-DCG3-45-105-Coban-Deluxe-Range-Wonderful-Reviews-/161085017849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25816a4ef9#ht_3856wt_1077"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Strings-DCG3-45-105-Coban-Deluxe-Range-Wonderful-Reviews-/161085017849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25816a4ef9#ht_3856wt_1077[/url]

At that price its worth having them in the bag just as back-ups I reckon but I get at least 6 months regular gigging from these and I like some 'zing' in my strings. Anyone happy with a less 'edgy' sound could probably get a lot longer out of them.

I never broke a string on bass within the past 30 years but always have a spare set with me.
on guitar I only had a few string breaks on rehearsals and I believe only 1 at a gig in the past 30 years, but usually I use 2 guitars on a gig and have some sets with me anyway.

Been playing bass for about 40yrs, never broken a string, and never taken a spare Bass, Amp etc to a gig. Although I do use 110 flat wounds, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I do hit the strings quite hard in some of my playing style but, no problems as of yet.
I do take a spare set of strings, lead & battery to gigs though.

I broke lots when I started out but I couldn't afford good strings then. As I could afford better and could afford to replace them more frequently I stopped breaking them.

That said I broke a string about three years ago - an 'A' string on a double bass. That's full on psychobilly for you though...

• 3 weeks later...