Why become a member? ×

One for the gigging "Originals" bands...

xgsjx

When you first started your originals band, & you had your first few jams, what did you do from there?

Did you start writing your own stuff straight away & do your first gig with the majority being your band's own stuff?

Or did you learn a bunch of covers & throw in one or 2 of your own songs in the hope that the audience might like them?

I've always been from the former type of bands, but both the guitarists are strictly from the latter.
I told them that I can get us gigs & they're both giving it "we should learn this & that to cover" etc, which me nor the drummer agrees with.

All of my past originals bands have had 1 or 2 songs to start us off when jamming & they sometimes make it onto the set list, but that's about it.

We got together in July, wrote a set of about 7 originals, went on tour and it was very successful, I'd never do it any other way.

I think sometimes people just use covers in jams just to kinda hide away from showing off their writing abilities, people being shy sometimes.

Covers are fun when you're a big noisy band doing pop covers (we're currently in the works of doing Wrecking Ball for a Christmas show) or bringing someone people know from another band to sing or what have you (we usually always bring Tony Wright (ex And So I Watch You From Afar) up on stage to sing Territorial Pissings). Time and place ya know!

We just have two seperate forms. Covers and originals. We started learning covers to get to know each other as a band and find our thing. Then started writing originals. We don't force it we let them come naturally and have tight quality control. So it took a while to get enough songs to gig the originals. In the meantime we gigged covers. Once we had enough we went out doing originals.So we do both but seperate. Then the drummer quit after about 7 original gigs and it's took a year to replace him. Just finished getting the originals together with the new drummer. Not learnt the covers with him yet!

My current band (see my post from Monday about whether it is still a band) haven't gigged yet. From day 1 we've jammed out ideas and crafted them in to our own original material. We have just about finished a 45 minute set full of material so we can start booking gigs early in the new year (assuming we're still together).

We have recently started discussing the idea of learning a few covers so we can switch one of our own songs out if the audience haven't really connected with us.

Previous bands I've been in:

Two - all originals from day one and never a cover was played.

Two - almost all original with a, re-worked cover permanently in the set

One - started as a 2 x 1 hour set covers band until we realised we were pretty good at writing our own material so we gradually shifted to having 3 x 1 hour sets (two of covers one of originals) and two band names. If we were being booked as band x we could give people thr option of 2 x 1 hour covers, 2 x 1 hour mainly covers or 1 hour covers and 1 hour originals.
If we were being booked as band y it was 1 hour of original material.

The interesting time was when band y were booked to support band x at a birthday party as the guy in question had seen both bands a few months apart and hadn't realised we were the same people. Fortunately he laughed it off and paid both bands the agreed amounts as he'd had 3 hours of music he enjoyed for his birthday. The sound engineer that'd he'd hired was laughing all the way to the bank as he'd priced for dealing with two lead singers and four guitarist!

Most bands usually have a songwriter (no disrespect meant to the drummer et al that claim they write!) and we just work on their songs. Occasionally we've had a couple of covers too but usually it is a case of a bunch of songs from whoever writes and then we set about putting our own stamp on them.

I was hoping to get the entire band to write as a collective, but I'm starting to wonder if that'll work?
I've done a good bit of songwriting over the years, but as I'm not a singer, I don't do much in the way of lyrics. It's usually been me & the vocalist that have written all the songs.
I think the drummer's the only other band member who's ever written a song.
The singer is new to the band & bands in general, but he can sing & is willing to pull his weight.

We've done covers very occasionally, when we've put our own spin on them, but never more than one in a set.

As far as writing goes - sometimes someone turns up with a song, sometimes we just jam. IMO trying to come up with a set method will only restrict creativity

When I was first learning to play I was in a band that started as covers then progressed to our own songs but my most recent couple of bands has been original only, I don't even think it matters if your songs are that good - it's just nice to go out and play your own stuff & see how people react to it.

Latest band is all originals. We had a couple of songs from the main writers old band to get us started but have phased them almost out now. two remain as extras when we do 2x 45 min sets but for 1 set shows its all ours. Main writer often brings fully formed songs (he's a writing machine!) Or takes away jammed riffs, rehearsal scraps, my riffs & adds lyrics & we arrange in the rehearsal room. We are having too much fun doing originals to even consider any covers!
Cheers,
Norm.

We formed to play a one off gig doing songs by one band member, there was no rule that it was only to be his songs , he just got everyone together and had the songs (in a rough form) ready to play.
We decided to stay together and myself and one of the others also started contributing songs, sometimes delivered as a fete a complis, sometimes more embryonic requiring more input from the others.
So we started in effect with a ready made repertoire and added to it later. It's now roughly 1/3 each.
We did play a couple of traditional songs early on but it's all original now.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

We started out around 50/50. Band policy is to play as much original material as we can, but bearing in mind our audience occasionally want to hear something they know.

Our next gig will be pretty much all original material, maybe one cover.

My band exists as a vehicle to perform songs written by me & the vocalist - that's how it's been from the outset. Everything's demo'd to a high standard before handing it over to the guys & taking it into the practice room. I'm an OK guitar player & can programme pretty competent drum parts, but they have free rein to improve & embellish their parts as they see fit. As the song becomes a performance piece, it will evolve and improve and sometimes change. I've always been open to contributions & collaboration from the band, but they've never seemed that bothered!

This is pretty much how every originals band I've been in has worked, even when I've not been a main composer. I've never been involved in an original song that's evolved from a jam.

Jon.

With the current band, we started with a few originals from the previous band 2 of us were in, and then spent a year writing new material. There are 2 covers in the set, but a 3 piece punk band doing Human League covers mean's the covers are barely recognisable.
I have done the covers band thing, largely for pocket money and as a means of keeping up to speed and gigging whilst the main band's drummer is off touring with his other bands,but it's not my thing really.

You need to get people to come and see you ..and many original bands fail totally at this.
Mind you...some covers bands do as well....
I don't see the point at all if you don't have a rocking crowd, that you build on and develop...
but then I think you also have to get out of pubs as soon as possible,

It really depends what you have got and how you want to play it... if you can catch people's attention, retain them
and progress musically and financially, then go with whatever.

I have to say I never have much sympathy with bands that complain that the promote or venue
didn't have a crowd... it is as much the bands problem as the venues. This really determines
how viable you are ..and how long you should continue...

If you have good writers and a good band, then there is every chance you will get people to listen to you.

2 very different things for me. Most of my 'original' bands have been started due to a member having written a number of songs and want to get them out there. Or (with my current band) that members had a vision of doing something a bit different.

I've been in loads of cover bands so I've not got an issue with them, but for me they are just a way of getting some beer tokens.