Why become a member? ×

Fretless no good for Rock!?!?

Lord Sausage

In fairness, he probably read it on a forum. That's where most of the wisdom comes from these days. The easiest way around it is to put them on the spot. In this case by asking something along the lines of "played much bass in a rock band then guv?"

Edited by Mog

I am amused at the idea that a review of a touring show would read....

'....superb vocals from Ruthie Henshaw and the dancers were fabulous but the one thing that let the whole thing down was that the pit orchestra was using a fretless bass player instead of a fretted. The tragic undermining of the musical integrity of 'We Will Rock You' (Queen bass player John Deacon always used a fretted) was tantamount to heresy and the offending musician should be piloried and never work in this town again.

Ruthie! Insist on a pick!!'

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1383827775' post='2269602']

'....superb vocals from Ruthie Henshaw and the dancers were fabulous but the one thing that let the whole thing down was that the pit orchestra was using a fretless bass player instead of a fretted. The tragic undermining of the musical integrity of 'We Will Rock You' (Queen bass player John Deacon always used a fretted) was tantamount to heresy and the offending musician should be piloried and never work in this town again.

[/quote]

:D :lol: [size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1383811441' post='2269286']
Today i was told by a wet behind the ears assistant MD (that's assistant to the MD) that fretless is no good in rocking songs. It's ok if you put chorus on it in chilled out tunes but not in rock. I've been playing as long as this guy has been alive. The guitarist left the room as he thought i was going to go nuclear. i had to bite my tongue as i didn't know if it had come from the MD. It hadn't. He even told the guitarist to try putting some pick scrapes into is playing. The guitar player has been the player for every big version of this show in th UK for 11 yrs. I think this kid thinks he is co MD not assistant to. Today should be interesting!

Am i wrong? Am i being precious? or is it a naive, ill informed basic cliched thought?
[/quote]
Too many people have been amazed at end of shows to find out I played fretless all night, with some very rockin outfits.

Today i was told by a wet behind the ears assistant MD (that's assistant to the MD) that fretless is no good in rocking songs. It's ok if you put chorus on it in chilled out tunes but not in rock. I've been playing as long as this guy has been alive. The guitarist left the room as he thought i was going to go nuclear. i had to bite my tongue as i didn't know if it had come from the MD. It hadn't. He even told the guitarist to try putting some pick scrapes into is playing. The guitar player has been the player for every big version of this show in th UK for 11 yrs. I think this kid thinks he is co MD not assistant to. Today should be interesting!

Am i wrong? Am i being precious? or is it a naive, ill informed basic cliched thought?
[/quote]

I think you are dead right , but if this is your living then I would recommend just doing what this annoying individual tells you and keep biting your tongue . Let's face it , in every job there seems to be someone who's reason for being is to irritate everybody else. I know that even the top session players in the World on occasion have to endure record producers and artists telling them what's what when in fact they don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to bass , but if you are a professional you just have to see it as part of the job . If I were you I would agree enthusistically with this young man and thank him for his sage advice. And wait for your paycheck .

Edited by Dingus

Used a lined fretless WAL custom in rock bands back in early 80's. No-one new any better until doing the fretless section of Gary Moore's "Empty Rooms".

Great fun and was always funny when someone borrows your lined fretless and dont realise it and throws their tuning out.

:lol: :D :lol:

Dave

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1383827775' post='2269602']

[/quote]
I was just about to point out how many Queen songs are recorded on fretless even if he didnt play fretless often live, I have been learning to read with the Queen book and it states which songs are fretless, lots of them and they sound great for it IMO.

I heard this on the radio the other day and it too has a fretless vibe to me in places? Hard to say as Deacy is a master of doing just what we are talking about where you can make it sound just like a fretted if you dont slide about.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqct2SGoDE0[/media]

Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race,Crazy Little Thing Called Love,Play The Game,Under Pressure etc etc all Fretless :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[/quote]
Music is art...there are no rules.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1383815033' post='2269355']
Standard response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npoUI1obH_M&safe=active
[/quote]

WHOW that was good. Saw Tony with Firm and he was mightily impressive then with that distinct fretless growl from his Jaydee bass. This is a great match with Sykes and Appice. Need to get this album. Thanks for that.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1384078589' post='2272423']
WHOW that was good. Saw Tony with Firm and he was mightily impressive then with that distinct fretless growl from his Jaydee bass. This is a great match with Sykes and Appice. Need to get this album. Thanks for that.

Dave
[/quote]

I used to play in a band with a guitarist who idolised John Sykes and Blue Murder were his favourite band . He had his hair like John's , except he was ginger (!) .. I too had a Jaydee at the time , but I had already grown out my mullet for a more classic one-length style more reminiscent of the Wonder Stuff.

If you had a band nowadays that looked like Blue Murder in that clip people would think you were so far ahead of fashion that it was some kind of post -modern ironic statement. and you would get in all the trendy magazines . They look so ridiculous that I can't find words to describe them and they are an absolute joy to behold . These men are in possession of a very, very special fashion sense , even by the standards of the late 1980's, and I salute them. They were a good band , though , and should have had big success at the time .

Edited by Dingus