Why become a member? ×

What amp does a pub-band bassist need?

thebrig

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1382646996' post='2255085']
Where you playing in Hertford mate?
Sorry to de rail the thread
[/quote]

Don't know if gary_mac saw your post, but he did answer the same question from another BCer.... just passing the message on, like :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1382634471' post='2254802']
[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt"]http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt[/url]

We are at The Lord Haig, kicks off about 9. If you do get there, make sure to come and say hello. Its always good to catch up with Bass Chatters.
[/quote]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1382634471' post='2254802']
[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt"]http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt[/url]

We are at The Lord Haig, kicks off about 9. If you do get there, make sure to come and say hello. Its always good to catch up with Bass Chatters.
[/quote]
I know The Lord Haig, I've been there a few times, if I can get over I will certainly say hello thats for sure.

The Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo. A 1X12 Combo with 300 watts @ 8 ohms. You can plug a 8 ohm cab into it, and it's 500 watts. The nice thing about the Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo, it only weighs 29 pounds.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WpLSA0e.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PuI5SzB.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1382679535' post='2255289']
Ampeg svt with 8x10 or a Mesa 400 + with an NV 412 will get the glasses rattling nicely, go big be a man!
[/quote]

Ah yes, the famous helium-filled ultra-lightweight orthopaedic Mesa 400 ... I'd forgotten about that one.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1382649018' post='2255131']
Don't know if gary_mac saw your post, but he did answer the same question from another BCer.... just passing the message on, like :)
[/quote]

Thanks Random, only just revisited.

:)

It is a good venue, well run and an enthusiastic crowd.

I think what the OP is saying is that he may have TOO much rig for the gig.

A Streamliner 900 and a high end 2x12 is a LOT of rig for small pubs.

Depends on what you want. I could get away with a decent 1x12, and a nice sounding amp (doesn't have to be high wattage, just get what sounds nice!).

Or sell the cab and buy something smaller, and be careful with the master volume on your current amp.

You could always pickup a combo, like a TC BG250 (they've recently expanded this line) or a Markbass. The Markbass combo's are still, IMO, too expensive and in this market, they need to either make some improvements or drop the price.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382624346' post='2254573']
I know almost nothing about amps/power/wattage etc.. so could you keep any answers reasonably simple, so someone like me can understand please? :blush:

I am in the process of selling my rig because I am moving soon, and I'm not sure if I will continue playing, but if I do find a band in the nice little town that I am moving to, we will almost certainly only be playing the local pub circuit, where most of the pubs will be no more than average size.

I'm not getting any younger, and I am now suffering with incurable back problems, so I want to keep my new rig as light and as portable as possible, so what would you more knowledgeable people recommend?

I want to have enough power to not have to go through a PA, but I want my rig to be light and portable.

Thanks in advance. :)
[/quote]

I'll have to start by saying that you have one of the best rigs for pubs. Small light powerfull. No need for PA or worry about that heavy hand drummer.

If you really want to donwgrade to a smaller thing then you have to start looking on the sales forum and see what pops up. I would sugest something like a 500W amp and at least a 2x10" cab (don't go 1x12" if you plan on playing with no PA support) but a 410 would be even better.

Cheap(ish) small (used) amps:
GK MB500, Hartke LM500, Markbass LMII/III, Genz Benz Shuttle 6/9, TC RH450...

Cheap(ish) light (used) cabs:
Hartke HyDrive 1x15"/4x10", GK Neo 2x12"/4x10"...

There's more but i think it will all come down to what's available on the sales forum at the moment.

(P.S. - Have you read my sig? If that S12 is a T model and has the silver cloth let me have first dibs ;) )

Cheers

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382649953' post='2255144']
I know The Lord Haig, I've been there a few times, if I can get over I will certainly say hello thats for sure.
[/quote] Defunkt are good. I've seen Gary play. He gets by ok too :P
Mrs G and I could well take a look over at the Haig this w/end too. So maybe We'll see you there.

I use a 500 watt amp and 2 112 neo cabs (I never gig with just one) or my new 212 neo cab. I use the same rig from big rooms to the very small rooms because I prefer to sound the same on all gigs. I just alter the volume control depending on the size of the gig and who I'm playing with.

On a gig, the difference between your 900 watt amp and my 500 watt amp is not that great so, if you like your sound, it's really not worth moving that on. I'd keep your cab and not waste time and money trying to replace it with something that's not going to be very different, very likely won't be as good and will probably weigh more.

On the other hand, if you just have to fritter your cash, I’d keep the amp and get a couple of the new Super Compact 2 or Big Baby 2 cabs.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1382670223' post='2255278']
The Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo. A 1X12 Combo with 300 watts @ 8 ohms. You can plug a 8 ohm cab into it, and it's 500 watts. The nice thing about the Markbass Mini CMD 121P Combo, it only weighs 29 pounds.

[/quote]

I'd go for something along these lines
I've got a Markbass 2x10 combo, which is 300W on its own

For flexibility, and use at larger venues I also have a Markbass 1x15 cab
and this takes me up to 500W

They're both pretty light to carry
but if I was starting again, I'd maybe opt for the 1x12 combo - it's lighter still....

You could always add a 1x15, instead of another 1x12 extension cab
to give you more grunt at the lower end
The beauty of this approach, is that you can tailor your rig to the venue
and add the extension cab a few months later, spreading the cost

Pubs vary in size and layout
So in the smaller venues you may only need the combo....
I'm using Markbass, and I'm really pleased with their stuff
There are other adaptable rigs out there....
Phil Jones and Gallien Krueger to name a couple

I know what you mean about the weight
As I get older, it's becoming more of a factor for me too - I'm not gettting any younger, or fitter :o
and don't forget, you may be playing upstairs in some places too

There are some really nice lightweight bass amps available these days
Good luck with your search
and let us know what you decide

Marc

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1382690938' post='2255399']
I think what the OP is saying is that he may have TOO much rig for the gig.

A Streamliner 900 and a high end 2x12 is a LOT of rig for small pubs.

[/quote]

the volume knob works both ways

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1382670223' post='2255278']

[/quote]

I`ve the same rig and it`s awesome.

Thanks for all the comments so far BC'ers.

Yes the S12 is now sold, to be quite honest, as much as I liked it and it is quite light, I actually found it a bit bulky, which made it difficult for me to lug around with my back problem, I had a Genz Benz Shuttle 2x10 cab before, it was much smaller and lighter, and easy to pick up in one hand, but I sold it because I thought the S12 wouldn't be much different, but it is unfortunately.

Now that I will be moving sometime in the near future, I don't know whether I will play again, but if I do, I will definitely need something more manageable, because if I'm struggling now, I dread to think what I will be like in a few years time.

So being forever optimistic, I thought I would start this thread so that I can start waying up the options and build up some GAS, just in case I do find a band in my new home town.

As for the Streamliner, I'm holding on to it for now.

Edited by thebrig