Why become a member? ×

What amp does a pub-band bassist need?

thebrig

I know almost nothing about amps/power/wattage etc.. so could you keep any answers reasonably simple, so someone like me can understand please? :blush:

I am in the process of selling my rig because I am moving soon, and I'm not sure if I will continue playing, but if I do find a band in the nice little town that I am moving to, we will almost certainly only be playing the local pub circuit, where most of the pubs will be no more than average size.

I'm not getting any younger, and I am now suffering with incurable back problems, so I want to keep my new rig as light and as portable as possible, so what would you more knowledgeable people recommend?

I want to have enough power to not have to go through a PA, but I want my rig to be light and portable.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by thebrig

Seriously mate, we need to know more.

What rig would it be replacing? What sort of bass do you favour? What sort of music?

I could offer a suggested micro-rig right now (Gallien-Krueger MB500 into Barefaced Midget) and that would do a job for me.

Whether it would do that job for you, too ... who knows?

How loud is the drummer and guitarist?

Some people can manage with a tiny rig and some need 1000s of trouser flapping watts in a rock band.

Most modern micro amps, 250-500watts would suit most situations. Cab wise there are some very good lightweight solutions out there. Depends on budget.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1382624848' post='2254588']
Seriously mate, we need to know more.

What rig would it be replacing? What sort of bass do you favour? What sort of music?

I could offer a suggested micro-rig right now (Gallien-Krueger MB500 into Barefaced Midget) and that would do a job for me.

Whether it would do that job for you, too ... who knows?
[/quote]
I am selling my Barefaced Super Twelve and Genz Benz Streamliner 9.0, but will be keeping my American Standard Precision.
Probably playing all the usual pub-fayre, classic rock, blues, etc..

I just started in a pub rock, no instruments through the p.a. type band, and my ampeg pf500 into warwick 4x10 wasn't loud enough, have upgraded to TC electronic bh500 into their 4x10 and have masses of spare volume, so it's a bit of a minefield, there I had 2 supposedly 500 watt heads into 4x10 cabs, but both with very different results. I got the TC stuff because I heard another bands bassist using it, see if you can get into some pubs and do a bit of eyeballing and listening to other peoples rigs.

As folks have said it's all about the situation. Longest running cover band I was in I used a tiny line6 studio 110 as a stage monitor and DI'd into the PA, but i was only competing against an electronic drumkit and a guitarist using a floor pod.

On the other hand I've played in bands with zero PA support where 500 watts into a half decent 2*12 struggled.

I play mostly pub gigs, plus a few social clubs.

Genz Benz Shuttle 6 in to two markbass 2 x 10"'s. Works really well for me. Mix of rock, soul, pop, funk, with Fender P or G&L SB1

Prior to this set up I was using Trace, awesome sound & awesome weight.

Playing in Hertford this saturday if you want to check out the rig.

For a pub band doing covers in average sized pubs I`d look at either the TC Electronics BG combos, or Markbass combos. Or as said a small class D amp and a Barefaced cab - once amp sorted drop Alex a line to see which he recommends based on both the amp, and material.

You can get much more gear/power but I can gig with my Markbass CMD121P combo on its own. Sure, in the bands where I`m the only bassist (in my main band there are two of us) I add in a Markbass NY121 ext cab but that`s to add depth to the sound, not volume, the combo is plenty loud enough with its 300 watts.

I never realised how different it would be doing pub gigs, I only ever used to do gigs with my originals metal band for the last, 20 odd years, and used a Hartke ha 3500,350 watt head, but always went through a house p.a. and stupidly sold that rig before getting back into playing, I thought I wouldn't need much power playing little pubs, but some venues you need a good deal of grunt. I like charics suggestion above best, I'm gonna start saving!!!

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382624346' post='2254573']
... I am now suffering with incurable back problems, so I want to keep my new rig as light and as portable as possible ...
[/quote]

The MB500 is about the size and weight of a Jeffrey Archer paperback but much better value for money. Plus it will last a lot longer.

The Midget is the best & loudest cab, cubic inch for cubic inch, that I've ever heard, but I'm aware that this has become a very competitive part of the cab market. You may want to check out some of the others.

Incidentally, if weight is the sole issue you should know that the Midget weighs roughly the same as the Compact despite being roughly half the size. I used to play frequently with a Compact+Midget rig (you've played through it, remember?) and it always did my head in when carrying the two of them.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1382626666' post='2254630']

Genz Benz Shuttle 6 in to two markbass 2 x 10"'s. Works really well for me. Mix of rock, soul, pop, funk, with Fender P or G&L SB1

[/quote]
Where, and whats the name of your band?
I might just do that.

If you've got a Streamliner and a Barefaced S12 cab, you've already got (arguably, as all things are on here) a very very good, small, light solution there already. You'll be compromising in at least one way from where you are, IMHO. If your driver is weight and size, you might save a couple of pounds on a smaller head, or possibly ten on the cab, but I really don't see the point (your cabs has wheels?) If you've a bad back, you might be better off putting funds and effort into a lighter bass. A couple of pounds there is much more noticeable - my Dingwall's 7.5lbs, and I can really tell if I use a heavier bass for any length of time.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382629799' post='2254706']
Where, and whats the name of your band?
I might just do that.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt"]http://www.lemonrock.com/defunkt[/url]

We are at The Lord Haig, kicks off about 9. If you do get there, make sure to come and say hello. Its always good to catch up with Bass Chatters.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1382633708' post='2254785']
If you've got a Streamliner and a Barefaced S12 cab, you've already got (arguably, as all things are on here) a very very good, small, light solution there already. You'll be compromising in at least one way from where you are, IMHO. If your driver is weight and size, you might save a couple of pounds on a smaller head, or possibly ten on the cab, but I really don't see the point (your cabs has wheels?) If you've a bad back, you might be better off putting funds and effort into a lighter bass. A couple of pounds there is much more noticeable - my Dingwall's 7.5lbs, and I can really tell if I use a heavier bass for any length of time.
[/quote]
This. That is all.

[quote name='davehux' timestamp='1382634649' post='2254810']
+1

You seem to be getting rid of the perfect pub outfit, to buy errrrr........ another pub outfit

Does not compute????????????
[/quote]

I agree.
I had a hartke ha500 With ashdown 4x10 & 115 for ages and switched to a markbass cmd210p combo. I've never felt the need for anything else
You current set up sounds great for pubs unless your band is extremely loud. Or your cab is too heavy to cart about.

Edited by lonestar

If the current cab's too big, why not just get a smaller Barfaced cab & keep the GB?

You'll probably find any good 1x12, 1x15, 2x10 or 2x12 will be more than ample for the majority of pub venues.
I went from 4x10 Trace Elliott to a Markbass 2x10 combo & it fills most venues that don't require PA.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1382638189' post='2254892']
If the current cab's too big, why not just get a smaller Barfaced cab & keep the GB?
[/quote]

My Compact certainly does any pub gigs that I'm ever likely to play. And yes, it is quite a bit smaller than an S12, but probably not [i]that[/i] much lighter.

It's a buyer's market for gear at the moment, so not a good time to sell anything.

I can highly recommend a BF Compact for pub gigs, with a suitably powerful amp - it's been my main squeeze for 2 years. The Compact weights 12kg and is about 5 inches shorter that the Super 12 (same width and depth) - it's like carrying a large empty suitcase.

I shall probably be selling mine shortly after I pick up a Super 12 on Saturday morning ;)

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1382626666' post='2254630']

[/quote]
Where you playing in Hertford mate?
Sorry to de rail the thread

Edited by Who's Who