Why become a member? ×

Do I want to sell my Bergs and go Barefaced?

fretmeister

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381490984' post='2239752']
I'm not having a go at you but it's statements like this that I really don't understand.

Lots, and lots, of people have tried BF and really don't like them - look at how many come up for sale in the classifieds.

However, whenever anyone says they don't really like them there's always a stack if people saying those people must be hearing things incorrectly and/or they don't really know a good bass tone when they hear one.

I just don't see how this could possibly be the case.
[/quote]

Good post.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1381491152' post='2239755']
It's not just Barefaced that I see coming up in the classified either. There seems to be an equal number - if not more of Aguilar, Markbass, Mesa Boogie and the like. Bassplayers seem to overthink their gear.
[/quote]

We also like trying new toys ;)

On topic:- Try some BF cabs before selling yours, see if they fit your sound etc. Personally (note that word!) I love my BF cab, I think it looks lovely, sounds brilliant with my setup and doesn't make my eyes water when I've to move the bloody thing. I do prefer the cloth grill though. But I've always liked the silvery look - even with the Ampeg cabs.
If you like them, and you feel they could replace the Bergs (I've only used the 610 once and it was brilliant!) then order a BF cab. If not, and you're not into the sound; keep the bergs and be a happy camper :)
[/thread]

also - if you're ever this far up the road, more than welcome to try the S12T/V. I'd assume there are many closer though!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381490984' post='2239752']Lots, and lots, of people have tried BF and really don't like them - look at how many come up for sale in the classifieds.[/quote]

A good chunk of which are from people looking for another Barefaced cab (bigger or smaller than their current one).

To me, it's fairly simple. Most "serious" gigs you'll be going through the PA. If you prefer the sound of a more coloured cab to a less coloured one, that's because you're not 100% happy with the sound of the signal coming out of the amp and want it coloured more. If you use a cab to achieve this, you'll be sat on stage enjoying a sound while what the audience are hearing is far more similar to what you'd hear using something like a Barefaced. Make it sound "right" through a Barefaced however, and you can be fairly sure it's going to sound right out front too. This is all assuming you're using a DI and have a competent soundguy of course, but bringing mics into the equation just introduces a whole load more unpredictability because you're then imparting the frequency response of the cabinet and of the microphone on the original signal.

Guest bassman7755

Its worth noting that BF cabs fall into two camps tonally. The compact and midget are essentially small/light/efficient cabs that still fundamentally sound like a traditional "bass cab" i.e. some degree of coloration and upper mid emphasis.

The big series OTOH are a very different proposition and are designed to act like PA cabs (i.e. minimal coloration and flat frequency response) with an extended low end. Its the same design philosophy as ACME accugroove et-al. If youve spend decades playing through traditional bass cabs, and setting your amp/bass to sound the way you like, then hearing the same bass/amp through such a clean flat cab is going to be either a revelation or a shock. As a previous poster said what you hear though this sort of cab is going to be much closer to what the audience hears out front when the bass is through the PA.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1381505725' post='2240055']
Its worth noting that BF cabs fall into two camps tonally. The compact and midget are essentially small/light/efficient cabs that still fundamentally sound like a traditional "bass cab" i.e. some degree of coloration and upper mid emphasis.

The big series OTOH are a very different proposition and are designed to act like PA cabs (i.e. minimal coloration and flat frequency response) with an extended low end. Its the same design philosophy as ACME accugroove et-al. If youve spend decades playing through traditional bass cabs, and setting your amp/bass to sound the way you like, then hearing the same bass/amp through such a clean flat cab is going to be either a revelation or a shock. As a previous poster said what you hear though this sort of cab is going to be much closer to what the audience hears out front when the bass is through the PA.
[/quote]

That's very interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

I would guess then that I like my bass sound to be coloured by the cab. So the question is - Can starting from scratch on the Preamp & EQ settings still give me the sound I want with a flat response cab?

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1381499933' post='2239932']Anyone with a BF close to Northampton?
[/quote]

The specific Barefaced cab matters - if they all sounded the same we'd just make a small cab and a large cab and that would be it! ;) And the Generation Three cabs sound different to the previous ranges.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381512886' post='2240185']
This is going on for too long. Flat/coloured, no one really cares that much. I'd rather concentrate on having a mint gig and enjoying it...isn't that what its all about?
[/quote]
I agree. Get a sound you like then you can enjoy your gig . I remember the gig more than what my bass sounded like.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381438960' post='2239262']
From a purely personal point of view I think seeing a BF in the flesh is really important - especially if comparing to a Bergantino.

The quality of finish is leagues apart and really puts lots of people off. I genuinely can't understand why BF persist with the covering materials they use.

I've never known a brand of speakers to get such a 'marmite' reception. People here on BC seem to love them but I meet so many people in the 'real world' who've bought some on spec and then sold them really quickly because they disliked them so much :(
[/quote]

I'd go with this... so you really have to be sure you know what you are getting.

Outside of this forum both marques aren't that well known....IMO... but the finish of the Berg's would make it easier to sell
for the money you'd want.

I think the CN112's are stunning cabs in the flesh and sound great as well.
I have used Berg NEO's...and a good few other NEO's and I am not massively convinced but the CN112's are
great.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1381512886' post='2240185']
This is going on for too long. Flat/coloured, no one really cares that much. I'd rather concentrate on having a mint gig and enjoying it...isn't that what its all about?
[/quote]

For many yes, and for others the tone of their bass is just as important to them as how well the gig goes.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1381515524' post='2240252']
For many yes, and for others the tone of their bass is just as important to them as how well the gig goes.
[/quote]

I definately play better and enjoy the gig far more when I have a sound that I like. Interestingly, probably like most bass players, I rarely get someone comment on my sound.

The exception to this is when I use the Compact, and especially when it's the Compact with the Mesa Walkabout - a heavenly sound... :)

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381491946' post='2239772']
I think that's exactly what some people think :)
[/quote]

I think this is quite close to the truth... a lot of people just don't have the style or technique to play with a very clean sound.
You could go see/hear a lot of bands tonight and hear quite a hidden sound. I don't call that all bad... but there is not much of room to
alter things and that is because of the way they play..and like to play.

As for hearing 2 sounds out of a rig as implied..?? I don't get that.
You want to know what it sounds like ...and be comfortable there..and then you want it to stay there..pretty much ..through the volume gains.
That is the whole point of getting the sound.
I'll regularly play my basses at a low volume at home..settle on that sound nuance...and then it is the same when I turn it up at the gig.
As for how it plays around in the mix..?? It doesn't. it is the same.
I don't have to alter my sound to get heard.... and if that was ever the case... we'd be having words post gig as someone would be pissing around.
Fortunately, I don't play with people like that,often.

When it comes to the mix/sound of the band... we have done all that. The core sounds are good...so as long as we get them..and the most variable is the drums...
we sound good. IMO.

Edited by JTUK

Somone mentioned a premium price earlier.

An Ampeg 610 new will set you back over £1k while the BF is under. Markbasses cabs aren't nearly an equivalent but are cheaper, while many are still more expensive and either won't go nearly as loud or be as light.

This arguement is done to death and always ends up the same, varying opinions about finish and the clean vs. Coloured crap.

If you fancy the drive up to Nottingham to try my Gen 3 Super Compact you are more than welcome to. Its a great cab and I have a highly coloured sound that I can hear properly through it.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1381505725' post='2240055']

[/quote]

I can confirm this from my experience at the SE Bass Bash, where Captain Rumble tried his Eden through his S12T, Compact, my Midget, and then the last 2 together. I was stunned to hear how 'coloured' the Compact and Midget were compared to the S12T, even with the tweeter bypassed; all sounded great, but more different than I had expected.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1381523811' post='2240401']

This arguement is done to death and always ends up the same, varying opinions about finish and the clean vs. Coloured crap.

[/quote]

Are we surprised though... ?? you look at the numbers of threads in this forum about Barefaced cabs...?
Not sure anyone wants to hear what cab they have ordered to be delivered in a few months time ( or not :lol: ) over and over again.