Why become a member? ×

Do I want to sell my Bergs and go Barefaced?

fretmeister

I thought that comment had been covered off in a thread a few days ago..... I think youve just plagarised yourself :)

They are light, they are loud, and many like the tone. Light and loud are fact. Tone is always opinion. I doubt anyone's ever been talked round to change their mind about tone with debate on the internet :D

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1381525801' post='2240444']
It's always about how light and loud Barefaced are though isn't it ? What about tone ? I bought my current cab by how it sounds and compared it to other cabs by different manufacturers.I'm pretty sure all the other cabs mentioned were finished better than Barefaced too.
[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1381525304' post='2240434']

Are we surprised though... ?? you look at the numbers of threads in this forum about Barefaced cabs...?
Not sure anyone wants to hear what cab they have ordered to be delivered in a few months time ( or not :lol: ) over and over again.
[/quote]

+ 1

Is the finish really that bad though?

I had a stinking great ampeg whose front cloth grill kept falling off, and Rolex coming off and fraying everywhere, it costs a fortune to get something that repaired properly, while I've actually dropped these cabs outside in the street and thwho come out with a scuff on a metal corner at the most, and in years to come if it wants fixing up it's easy to do and will cost the tin of acrylic.

Carpet covered cabs end smelling like booze cigs and animals and look filthy.

Yeah I agree to point where people are coming from but they are design to be used by working bassists and not as show pieces.

Sound wise, a lot if critical skeptics harping on about elusive "tone" I get that too. However you decide how it sounds, BF cabs respond very well to EQ and colour nuance from bass/amp/effects, and that's the point. Why anyone would want there sound predetermined by a manufacturer who has no idea what the end user really wants anyway. Besides that when I'm on stage it's not always ideal placement, and I'd still like to hear it properly as much off axis as mush as on axis.

Even BF admit you have to 'start again' with the cabs, what you normally do with your bass abd amp might not work with their stuff, so if you don't like what you hear I will take a stance of "you are doing it wrong". Although people taste and opinions are different and it's not always great working to achieve greatness....

Some of the people, I feel, who have a strange distaste for this stuff are either Hipsters trying to hard or people who would have everyone playing rusty fenders through big heavy worn rigs, but people pay extra for that stuff right?

And for anyone who plays with a PA and uses a DI, your cab is about as important as the 'tone' a 9v battery gives you over a new fan dangled power supply.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381440930' post='2239311']

To be honest I think it's the reverse - I keep meeting people who really, really, don't like how they sound.

I've never known a single brand to polarise people so much. You get brands that people aren't keen on all the time but it's rare for people to have such a strong dislike of a brand's core sound.

You see a lot of them for sale in the classifieds. . .
[/quote]

I think stuff that's popular will always polarise opinion. I use a Rick through a BF, two marmite items in close proximity, I consider that 2 negatives must make a positive ;-)

On the finish side, having owned a very fluffy Border Collie and now a Cocker Spaniel, I find the finish perfect.....used to take ages getting the dog hairs off my MarkBass cab!

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1381550935' post='2240585']
Some of the people, I feel, who have a strange distaste for this stuff are either Hipsters trying to hard or people who would have everyone playing rusty fenders through big heavy worn rigs, but people pay extra for that stuff right?

And for anyone who plays with a PA and uses a DI, your cab is about as important as the 'tone' a 9v battery gives you over a new fan dangled power supply.
[/quote]

I think personally, it's statements like that that wind people up who have a choice over whether they like them.

Carpet on a cab is a bad idea... but they say it wears hard. Ok, still didn't like it but the mass of makers went that way..
Thankfully, Berg and the like went off that idea.

The look of a cab is important. It is an image game as many posters will tell you when they say they like to see a band engaging with an audience, jumping around, enjoying themselves. They'll spend money on a website, band pics, promo CD's lighting... all sorts.
Why wouldn't that thinking extend to gear onstage?

The cabs still have not got beyond a very poor knock-up in a garage. Bite the bullet, get a cab designer in and a proper cabinet maker to make them.
Gen 3..... ??? still look bad DIY to me.
While you are at it... get a decent website.

I'd ask ...if orders are healthy, where the money is being spent, but hey, what do I care?
I enjoy threads like this...just as well. there are enough of them.

Looks are obviously important to you which of course is fine. But accepting carpet is acceptable because everyone went that way means if manufacturers decided acrylic was the way to go then you'd change your opinion and suddenly accept it?!

I don't believe you can knock the website. It's easy to navigate, clean and does what it should, better than other premium gear websites in my view.

Orders do appear strong, but this company has driven a lot if r and d over the last couple of years and offer a unique product And component. You pay for that, and people are obviously prepared to pay the asking price for the product offer.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1381566858' post='2240654']
Carpet on a cab is a bad idea... but they say it wears hard. Ok, still didn't like it but the mass of makers went that way..
Thankfully, Berg and the like went off that idea.

The look of a cab is important. It is an image game as many posters will tell you when they say they like to see a band engaging with an audience, jumping around, enjoying themselves. They'll spend money on a website, band pics, promo CD's lighting... all sorts.
Why wouldn't that thinking extend to gear onstage?

The cabs still have not got beyond a very poor knock-up in a garage. Bite the bullet, get a cab designer in and a proper cabinet maker to make them.
Gen 3..... ??? still look bad DIY to me.

I'd ask ...if orders are healthy, where the money is being spent, but hey, what do I care?
I enjoy threads like this...just as well. there are enough of them.
[/quote]

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' timestamp='1381568930' post='2240684']
Looks are obviously important to you which of course is fine. But accepting carpet is acceptable because everyone went that way means if manufacturers decided acrylic was the way to go then you'd change your opinion and suddenly accept it?!

I don't believe you can knock the website. It's easy to navigate, clean and does what it should, better than other premium gear websites in my view.

Orders do appear strong, but this company has driven a lot if r and d over the last couple of years and offer a unique product And component. You pay for that, and people are obviously prepared to pay the asking price for the product offer.
[/quote]

The carpet was just a fluff magnet...which was my main objection. The cabs I ran for 15 years all had carpet on them and looked pretty clean still when I sold them...but as a finish I didn't think it did that well over a few years.

I've had plenty of crap looking cabs ..either because they were wrecked when I bought/got them or I didn't look after them at the time well enough.

Nowadays, my cabs work just as hard, but they all look pretty new. I will intend to keep them like that............ even to the extent that I am mulling over an order
of a pr of TKS 1216's in white.. FFS...!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Why white...? well, they look the business, and this from someone who really rates substance over style... but I don't mind both... and that is worth a premium to me

I really like carpet covering to be honest. I've had carpet covered cabs for years that have always looked good , no rips or peeling off. I've had tolex that ripped everytime I looked at it and just looked rubbish after a while. Keeping hairs etc off carpet is easy , use covers and if they do look a bit dirty a quick hoover or rub over with gaffa tape does the trick !The Hammerite paint job is my least favourite finish as it just looks cheap on an expensive bit of kit.
I agree about white cabs , I had one once and they do look the business !

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1381568543' post='2240673']

yep... have to agree. Stage sound is massively important to me.
[/quote]

Stage sound is hugely important, IEM's are great for cleaning it up :) cabs might even become a thing of the past in the future, then we can all have GAS over Ultimate Ears vs Senheiser etc

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1381523811' post='2240401']
Somone mentioned a premium price earlier.

An Ampeg 610 new will set you back over £1k while the BF is under. Markbasses cabs aren't nearly an equivalent but are cheaper, while many are still more expensive and either won't go nearly as loud or be as light.

This arguement is done to death and always ends up the same, varying opinions about finish and the clean vs. Coloured crap.

If you fancy the drive up to Nottingham to try my Gen 3 Super Compact you are more than welcome to. Its a great cab and I have a highly coloured sound that I can hear properly through it.
[/quote]
Will one BF cab really match an ampeg 6x10 and I fail to see Mark bass being not nearly an equivalent either, I just don't.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1381575103' post='2240770']
I really like carpet covering to be honest. I've had carpet covered cabs for years that have always looked good , no rips or peeling off. I've had tolex that ripped everytime I looked at it and just looked rubbish after a while. Keeping hairs etc off carpet is easy , use covers and if they do look a bit dirty a quick hoover or rub over with gaffa tape does the trick !The Hammerite paint job is my least favourite finish as it just looks cheap on an expensive bit of kit.
I agree about white cabs , I had one once and they do look the business !
[/quote]
Same here, I have two spaniels but they rarely come to gigs :)

In terms of price point, I think a fairer comparison would be the '69er and the Berg NV610. I know the Berg is discontinued, but it was retailing at £1140 posted, then the '69er went on sale initially at around £920 posted.

In terms of finishes, rat fur is my least favourite, I had an SWR Combo with this and really dislike the look and feel.
The BF panted finish is rough (in terms of texture, not the skill with which it applied), but I still don't mind the look and feel.
My favourite was my old EA combo, and extension cab. Slightly textured but very tough and professional.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1381580018' post='2240885']Will one BF cab really match an ampeg 6x10 and I fail to see Mark bass being not nearly an equivalent either, I just don't.[/quote]

The Generation Three 2x12" cabs (Super Twin & Big Twin 2) will both play louder and put out more bottom (if you so desire) than an Ampeg 6x10", and everyone who's heard one so far has loved the tones on offer. The first production Big Twin 2 out there was gigged last night, replacing an Aguilar 4x12". Regarding the aesthetics, its new owner said the following: "The cab is stunning by the way. Congrats on the finish, it is a stunning cab."

Because you are sick of the weight and the alternative sounds as good or better and weighs significantly less.

IMO BF cabs don't look at all DIY, and the finish is just like that on absolutely top quality touring PA cabs which are covered in that stuff because it's so resilient on far heavier (two man lift minimum) cabs.

If you haven't played with the gen 3 cabs don't comment on the tone, it's significantly more impressive than any other cab I've ever heard (specifically the Big Twin here) the only downside is it's a big cab....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1381566858' post='2240654']

[/quote]

IMO the website is fine - clean, clear, easy to navigate. The only thing letting it down is product images, they do need to spend some time with a proper photographer getting that sorted.

As for "where is the money being spent?" - what part of 2-1/2 year R&D exercise for Gen3 wouldn't have cost money, especially with their own drivers being prototyped and tested... ;)

Gotta say, I've seen 2 of these BF cabs.

One had just been bought by a guy, he like me was a bit taken aback by what he'd received, kinda home made but in a good homemade kinda way, ie better than I'd be able to make. Sound wise it was a bit meh, and I didn't like the way the grille rattled.

The other was in a well known bass shop, and the owner was of the opinion that it wasn't worth what it had been bought for.

Obviously though, everyone is entitled to their own opinions on the cabs.