Why become a member? ×

Do I want to sell my Bergs and go Barefaced?

fretmeister

I have a pair of Berg HD112 cabs.

They sound great, but they are quite heavy for a 1x12, and in the places I'm playing at the moment there is a lot of carrying up and down stairs.

Both the Super Compact and the Big Baby 2 appeal to me. I would need 2 cabs for my split rig, but I could cope with a single cab for a while.

Or do I just stop pissing about with a split rig and get a Super Twin and have done with it? The wheels may well offset the weight nicely.

At the moment I'm using a tone a bit like Kyle Eastwood's on 'Rue Perdue' - from about 40 seconds in. [url="https://myspace.com/kyleeastwood/music/song/rue-perdue-49496642-53813828"]https://myspace.com/kyleeastwood/music/song/rue-perdue-49496642-53813828[/url]

and his 'Song for you' [url="https://myspace.com/kyleeastwood/music/song/song-for-you-49496641-53256382"]https://myspace.com/kyleeastwood/music/song/song-for-you-49496641-53256382[/url]

Deep and chewy!

Someone make my mind up for me please!! :D

Heh, the Super Twin weighs about as much as a bag of chips, its very very light indeed.

I've not personally played the new Big Baby 2, but I have spent time with its big brother the Big Twin 2, and that thing is ridiculously good. If it fit in my car (and house) I'd replace the ae410 with it. Unfortunately it doesnt :(

If the weight's the issue do yourself a favour and get the CN112s.

If it's gear wanderlust then there's nothing you can do about that. You need to see a Barefaced cab in the flesh and compare to your Bergantinos so you can make an informed decision before you buy one. As with all gear.

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1381423761' post='2238986']
If the weight's the issue do yourself a favour and get the CN112s.

If it's gear wanderlust then there's nothing you can do about that. You need to see a Barefaced cab in the flesh and compare to your Bergantinos so you can make an informed decision before you buy one. As with all gear.
[/quote]

Seeing a Barefaced cab isn't what he needs - he needs to [u][i]hear[/i][/u] one, that's all...........

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1381427521' post='2239044']

Seeing a Barefaced cab isn't what he needs - he needs to [u][i]hear[/i][/u] one, that's all...........

Frank.
[/quote]

From a purely personal point of view I think seeing a BF in the flesh is really important - especially if comparing to a Bergantino.

The quality of finish is leagues apart and really puts lots of people off. I genuinely can't understand why BF persist with the covering materials they use.

I've never known a brand of speakers to get such a 'marmite' reception. People here on BC seem to love them but I meet so many people in the 'real world' who've bought some on spec and then sold them really quickly because they disliked them so much :(

I'd strongly recommend looking at TKS cabs. My personal experience is they have far more thicker, fuller and beefier bottoms end. Not to mention cheaper if you go for the ceramic ones. The build quality is outstanding as well and their range is more an options list and you build your cabs from that.

WoT has 2 and loves them, like I say, from personal experience the tks wipes the floor with many other 112's. If not all!

Dan

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381438960' post='2239262']
I've never known a brand of speakers to get such a 'marmite' reception. People here on BC seem to love them but I meet so many people in the 'real world' who've bought some on spec and then sold them really quickly because they disliked them so much :(
[/quote]

Do you think it's because people in the real world like to hear with their eyes? :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1381438960' post='2239262']
From a purely personal point of view I think seeing a BF in the flesh is really important - especially if comparing to a Bergantino.

The quality of finish is leagues apart and really puts lots of people off. I genuinely can't understand why BF persist with the covering materials they use.

[/quote]

I think the Gen 3 cabs will put all their previous efforts in the shade in terms of finish quality and sound (tone) quality. However the only way anyone can tell if a BF cab is right for them is to A/B it with their current (or potential) rig.

Personally for me the finish on the BF cab is perfect for the abuse the cab gets from my bandmates loading in and out of the van, and the sound is what I've always been searching for, so I'm happy. I can totally understand others not being happy, and that is fine :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381439835' post='2239281']

Do you think it's because people in the real world like to hear with their eyes? :)
[/quote]

To be honest I think it's the reverse - I keep meeting people who really, really, don't like how they sound.

I've never known a single brand to polarise people so much. You get brands that people aren't keen on all the time but it's rare for people to have such a strong dislike of a brand's core sound.

You see a lot of them for sale in the classifieds. . .