Why become a member? ×

Best bass under £200 (new or 2nd hand)

On a mission for a friend, trying to find something on the cheap. And turns out I'm quiet picky.

Here's my shortlist

Korean Squier
Westone Thunder

what to add?

Trying to think, if I actually was to actually play something under £200, what would it be. I like classic shapes.

You might be lucky and pick up a secondhand 80s or 90s MIJ Squier for £200. In fact I might be persuaded to part with a Silver Series Precision for £200 as it doesn't do anything that my main precision does already.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection usually go for less than £200, which is a crime.

If you can find one Peavey Fury basses sell for next to nothing - I bought one from Flat Eric for £165!! - they are great, USA built and classic P bass shape/sound but with skinny Jazz neck. Skinnier, actually.

OLP MM copies sell for not much and are reckoned to be pretty good, although I have never actually even picked one up.

But a decent Westone Thunder is hard to beat.

Edit - I often play and gig with basses that cost under £200. No-one notices or cares.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1379882861' post='2217872']
Yamaha RBX270J - stunning bass and GAK are selling them at £199 brand new.

For the money (IMO) it's unbeatable.
[/quote]

Had one of these as my first ever bass about 11 years ago now! It was amazing. Much missed indeed. I never appreciated if it was any good. I automatically thought it was crap owing to the fact it was bought through the school.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection, definitely.
Peavey Fury 2, a [u]ridiculously[/u] skinny neck.
OLP MM2, neck is too bulky for my taste but they play well and sound nice.
I gave a Vintage MM clone (secondhand, £80) to our ex-drummer for his 18th. Looks good, plays well, sounds butch :)

+1 on the Squire CV series.

Personally my best sub £200 buys have been an SQ series Squire for a ton, which I stupidly sold, and an Ibanez ATK700 (£130 I think), which I sold to a work colleague who wanted to learn to play. Although they were both a little knocked about (well worn in the Squier's case and just downright abused in the Ibanez's) they were perfectly serviceable instruments, either of which could have been my main bass with a little tlc.

Edited by Bigwan