Why become a member? ×

The time has come...

Bilbo

400+ lps left ( had a purge a few years ago). A vinyl loving friend is coming around on Tuesday to have his wicked way with my collection and then the rest will find its way to Oxfam. I may keep a couple of dozen for old times sake (my own stuff, for instance) but, otherwise, the dust collecting has to stop.

End of an era. :mellow:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1378634887' post='2202557']
Yes, I heard. But the space is needed and I can't remember the last time I played a record. At least a year ago. Spotify covers a lot of it so it needs to go.
[/quote]mate of mine is a collector and would buy them from you if you're anywhere near kent?

If you want to give them to Oxfam then that is admirable and I wouldn't want to dissuade you, but be aware that big collections of records from what I suspect is your era can be worth a lot of money nowadays . I had two Led Zeppelin E.P's that I got on import from HMV in about 1979 for a couple of quid each that I only bought because I didn't have enough pocket money to buy the L.Ps that ended up being worth several hundred quid each when I ditched all my vinyl . My pre- injunction first pressing of Permanent Waves with the " Dewey Defeats Trueman " headline intact was worth a load of money , too . You could be sitting on a goldmine .

I'm ambivalent about vinyl. There were an awful lot of crap pressings around in the 70s and 80s and IMO CDs are certainly a more robust delivery medium. OtOH vinyl is definitely making a comeback now that the pressing plants have to be producing a quality product in order to compete with the digital formats. My bands next single will be released on vinyl...

As for Spotify, there is no way that I am allowing my listening to be at the mercy of a 3rd party. If I own the physical product I can always listen to it so long as I have the appropriate playback equipment. If an artist or record company decides that they no longer want their music on Spotify, then it's gone and there's nothing I can do about it. Similarly, if Spotify change their T&Cs or go out of business...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1378640111' post='2202623']
Quite right, old bean. The music is in your head. The objects only serve to reinforce the nostalgia, and collect dust. You get to keep the essential; pass them on for someone else to enjoy. Jolly good. Well done.
[/quote]
I enjoy the nostalgia. And the dust.

Mmmmm... dust. :)

I used to have lots of vinyl but it took up too much space and after using cd`s, I got lazy. Now everything is on the computer hard drive and I can`t be bothered with cd`s now. I still have the cd`s but the vinyl is long gone except for a couple of Led Zep`s, Moving Pictures and On Stage by Rainbow.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1378634887' post='2202557']
Yes, I heard. But the space is needed and I can't remember the last time I played a record. At least a year ago. Spotify covers a lot of it so it needs to go.
[/quote]

So we`ll cross you off the cold-calling list for out new album on white vinyl then Bilbo?

Sigh....................

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1378722104' post='2203564']
I used to have lots of vinyl but it took up too much space and after using cd`s, I got lazy. Now everything is on the computer hard drive and I can`t be bothered with cd`s now.
[/quote]

Agreed.

My hard drive currently holds 116Gb of music ([i]either from my own CD collection, or from paid downloads, before anyone asks![/i]) and trying to work out how much storage space I'd need for that quantity of vinyl reminds me of all those analogies we used to use when hard drives for PCs first came along ...

I used to make a living buying and selling vinyl, gave it up because you just can't get much nowadays as most people haved switched to CD's.
At a guess, I would say that you have at least a couple of grands worth, and I would happily pay you a couple of hundred quid for them without seeing them first. :)

I still love my vinyl. It sounds best, but let's not argue that one now.
I have around 3 thousand albums, and yes it is unlikely that I will play many of them again.
However they are also like a diary of my life. Just looking through them in their racks reminds me of where and what I was doing when i Bought them.
I also have a couple of tbytes of music on hard drives and could never take the time to replicate the LP's on digital.

Also the cover artwork is much better and the sleeve notes easier to read. And erm the covers were also useful for...........................

I put some of my vinyl on eBay as auctions, but the results were very mixed. One of best prices was an album by Graham Collier that I didn't think anyone would be interested in. Other things I thought would do well didn't. Eventually I gave up and took the rest, mostly old rock, up to The Diskery in Birmingham and got next to nothing for it. But I figured even if they were ripping me off, it would at least help keep a worthwhile shop open.

I've still got two cases of classical LPs, including boxed sets of Stravinsky and Mahler, which I have no idea what to do with.

I got rid of the first 100 or so last night (to a vinyl loving friend). Interestingly, I noticed several LPs as we were searching throught them that made me think 'I love that' so, this morning, I am sitting in work with Spotify playing some of these 'greats'. Only they aren't as 'indispensible' as I thought. There is nostalgia value, absolutely, but I am not really one for looking back so feel surprisingly ok about letting them go.