Why become a member? ×

What's the longest you've saved up for a bass?

marcus bell

never needed to 'save' for a bass - always had the cash sitting doing nothing. Basses are not a save up for kind of thing.

Ferraris are a save up for kind of thing.
Swimming pools are a save up for kind of thing.
Pitts specials are a save up for kind of thing.
Basses? Nahhh

Edited by Twigman

about a year to save up for my ACG preamp in my warwick - kept blowing the money on other things like engagement rings.
When I eventually sold enough other stuff to justify buying it I wasn't even sure I wanted it anymore but the stubbon "well I got this far 4 times so I may as well" prevailed. Turned out to be a good move.
Getting married was also nice

Two years for my first Stingray, which was a two band EQ model with black body and maple fretboard. Then I had a contract job where the employer didn't pay me the last month - took her to the small claims court and won, but I had to sell my bass to pay the mortgage in the meantime. Made do with a surprisingly good Squire Jazz, until I bought another Stingray with the money my grandfather left me when passed away in 2002.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1378397271' post='2199706']
never needed to 'save' for a bass - always had the cash sitting doing nothing. Basses are not a save up for kind of thing.

Ferraris are a save up for kind of thing.
Swimming pools are a save up for kind of thing.
Pitts specials are a save up for kind of thing.
Basses? Nahhh
[/quote]

For me a bass is about the only thing (other than a house or a holiday) that I would save up for.

Indirectly saved up 20 years plus to get my custom Alembic.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1378394803' post='2199656']
I wanted a Jetglo 4001 (thanks to Geddy) when I was 12, after saving and combining birthday and Xmas presents-type of thing, I got one on my 16th birthday in 1980. It was ace.
[/quote]

My dream bass was a Jetglo Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003. I saved my pennies for around 4 years iirc. Found a nice 4003 near home and bought it.

I was monumentally disappointed as I couldn't find a way to play it comfortably finger-style without removing the pickup cover, something I really didn't want to do because, as a shallow person, this completely ruined the aesthetic of the bass for me. That and the generally horrid bridge. On the upside I sold it after about a year for a good profit.

Save? I'm a see-and-buy guy. When I was young it was always on HP, though I once plundered the savings of a band I played in for an advance on an Ibby MC924 that some show in London was doing for a ridic cheap price! Later years, I went to the bank for a loan if I spotted something. Saving is a bit of an anathema to me.