Why become a member? ×

Which Fender?

muddyman1

[quote name='muddyman1' timestamp='1378068792' post='2195549']
aren't they rather pricey? I'm happy to spend but 50s models are silly money in my researching experience...
[/quote]

The Classic 50`s P bass is a 57ish replica made in Mexico and a very fine bass by all accounts. Really, there are lots of nice Fender models at various price points. If you are looking for vintage models, use the search function or contact someone like Ricks fine 52 who knows his stuff. (As do others)

£600 ? That's very doable. A copy '50 then?

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1378068486' post='2195540']
I've been browsing the market for old P-basses, but found out that I like the new ones better. Old isn't necessarily better, just older.
[/quote]

indeed!...

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1378068718' post='2195546']
Some very respected professionals say very good things about the roadworn Jazz basses. Here's a review from Basschat's very own Outtoplayjazz [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/84943-fender-road-worn-jazz/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

[/quote]

and the 'you'll find quality here' continues! Too many options, all road tested, all good. AAAAAAAAHHHGGGGG!

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1378069457' post='2195570']

The Classic 50`s P bass is a 57ish replica made in Mexico and a very fine bass by all accounts. Really, there are lots of nice Fender models at various price points. If you are looking for vintage models, use the search function or contact someone like Ricks fine 52 who knows his stuff. (As do others)
[/quote]

Yep, mine is nice. Good pickup, proper woods, well screwed together.

[quote name='muddyman1' timestamp='1378069812' post='2195580']
thanks for the info on 50s Fenders people - figured that out rather quickly but too late for all yous in the know!
[/quote]
Yes - a copy of a 57 with, if I recall correctly, the pickup as the custom shop models. There's red, sunburst and cream as I recall. They come up on here used fairly often. Very nice indeed to play. See the link musky posted

I have the same pickup in my bass and the bass doc seemed to approve when he fitted it all together.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='muddyman1' timestamp='1378068442' post='2195539']
....Considering all these posts has led me to ask myself whether a Fender is truely the answer for an upgrade on my faithful Stingray....
[/quote]

Have you checked out the new flavours of MM? There are pickup configs that will give you any sound that you can imagine.

If you really want a Fender, I'd go for a new American Standard. £1100 or less if you haggle new. Solid basses, good hardware (the new bridges are fabulous) and they will do everything an old Fender will do, without the hassle of taking the neck off for truss adjustments or worrying about gigging a £3K vintage.

However, if you like you Stingray, and dig the ergonomics, (and this is coming from a Fender and Musicman fan) I would try out a few Musicman basses that have the neck pup.

E.g. Stingray HH/HS, Sterling HH/HS, Bongo HH/HS or the Big Al SSS (nails a P bass tone and a LOT more).

Not only will the Musicman give you a Fender flavour with the extra pups, you still get the Musicman tone/etc, ergonomics, and ease of setup.

are you anywhere near this? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212114-south-east-bass-bash-no7-surrey-saturday-21st-september-2013/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212114-south-east-bass-bash-no7-surrey-saturday-21st-september-2013/[/url]

i'd imagine that there will be a wide range of Fenders there and as they will be owned by friendly basschatters they should be able to be tried out, there might even be a few for sale! i'd imagine that there would be offerings from other makers there as well that could be tried out/bought.

Matt

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1378102142' post='2195694']
Yes - a copy of a 57 with, if I recall correctly, the pickup as the custom shop models. There's red, sunburst and cream as I recall. They come up on here used fairly often. Very nice indeed to play. See the link musky posted

I have the same pickup in my bass and the bass doc seemed to approve when he fitted it all together.
[/quote]

4 finish options - 2 tone sunburst, black, honey blonde and Fiesta red. I tried one in a shop in Glasgow a few years back, and to this day, hands down the best P Bass I've ever played. If it wasn't Fiesta red I'd have bought it on the spot. Instead I went home and ordered a black on online which turned out to be out of stock. I was told that I could wait a few months and get one when they came back in stock and pay the price I'd paid because the prices were going up. I was too impatient and cancelled the order, and I still regret it. What a dick I am.

try out the Fender Select series jazz basses. they are awsome. basically its a 60's pickup spacing jazz bass with a preamp. im very fussy with my preamps, and i tell you Fender have this down. sounds like a cross between a 60's and a 70's jazz bass. which is a very good thing imo. but they are not cheap. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFFRkWH6AA[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

+1 for classic 50s MIM P bass.
I had a beauty, but like all things - it got moved on to try something else.
Easily as good as my old USA P.
Anything Mike Lull is going to be good, and theres a beauty of a P Lull on here for sale. I recently acquired a Lull TC5 jazz and its everything it says it is - quite the mutts nutts.

Seem to remember the 50s MIM cost me £279.00 new on ebay.
Listing was full of smelling pistakes and clearly didnt get the hits on searches so I got it for the starting price - bargain.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1378136589' post='2196143']
Currently selling a custom shop classic jazz and am open to offers [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/215880-fender-custom-shop-custom-classic-jazz/"]http://basschat.co.u...m-classic-jazz/[/url]
[/quote]

I once owned one of these and they are exceptionally good.

If you have the wonga its a bass you wouldn't regret buying. IMHO of course.

[quote name='muddyman1' timestamp='1378068442' post='2195539']
SH - Southampton - nearer than Wigan but not where I live.

Considering all these posts has led me to ask myself whether a Fender is truely the answer for an upgrade on my faithful Stingray and enough bass to make the picture complete ... I originally thought that a vintage or deluxe Fender would be the route to take and I'm a man of traditional intent at heart so it was logical - until reading all the posts which have planted seeds of alternatives in my thoughts. More time is clearly needed!
[/quote]

As others have noted, the only way to find out is to go and play some.

I also live near Southampton, and recently went to Nevada, near Portsmouth - they've got a pretty good range of Fender (and non-Fender) basses, including US standard, deluxe and vintage-reissues, the Nate Mendel sig, the MIM classic reissues, and a wide range of the cheaper mexican Fenders.

The main thing to figure out is what width of neck you're happy with - I went there thinking I wanted either a 5 string precision or one of the vintage reissues, but I couldn't get on with the wide neck of either and ended up with a 2012 4 string US standard instead. As others have noted, the recent US Fenders are really good, just have to find out which one works for you! :)

[quote name='muddyman1' timestamp='1378059287' post='2195308']
all useful, all considered. Many thanks people.

Why post 2008? And as far as vintage goes, any thoughts on a '75 model?
[/quote]

There are some nice '75's out there but you'll need to work a bit at finding a really good original one that isn't heavy.

The '75 Reissue is generally a nice bass and the new '74 Reissue is maybe more authentic and another step up from the '75RI.

You'll definitely see some '75RI's on the used market but the '74 hasn't been around long so hasn't really hit pre-owned status yet.

You really need one of each a Jazz and a P!
The P can sound a bit boring on it's own, but once it's in the mix or live with the band it reallycomes into it's own.
The Jazz on the otherhand sounds great played solo and does a nice job live and records very nicely.
Guess a big part depends what type of stuff you play or what you want to sound like as well. But that's my take on them both if it's any help

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1378151870' post='2196404']
Sme serious classic 50s P bass love. Mine is the best P I have played. Really good. Great pickup. Mint build. And the deep talkin flats sound just beautiful.
[/quote]

Absolutely !!! nottswarwick has my old classic 50s p bass and I have to admit I'm really missing! (Glad you're enjoying it by the way mate!)

I can heartily recommend these basses - best p bass I've played - go get one.

Is this a good point to gloat about my recently acquired 1974 Jazz :P Total pure holy grail type love, mines not to heavy either. Can't beat a real good vintage but the dealer prices on them are ridiculous. Good luck with your search. Gloat over :D