Why become a member? ×

Merging Songs

lou24d53

Last night at our weekly rehearsal when we were playing The Coral's "Dreaming Of You", towards the end of the tune I started playing some lines off The Cure's "Love Cats". It seemed to work really well and and it got us thinking we could probably merge from one into the other without too many problems, or even morph into a version of The Cure and then morph back into The Coral to finish.

We also do The Beatles "Back In The USSR" and end with a bar of A - G - A, similar to the opening bars of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" which would appear is now going to be on our setlist as a result...a song I absolutely hate by the way, but that's for another thread.

I've also got the Stevie Wonder live CD "Natural Wonder", where the band does a version of "Sir Duke" which goes straight into "I Wish", which I have strongly campaigned for us introducing into the set as well.

So I was just wondering if any other cover band musos out there do similar or if anyone had any suggestions or ideas we could perhaps investigate for similarly sounding / workable tunes?

Cheers,
Dougie.

We used to run Superstition into Sex Machine, and another band started with Barbara Ann and went through all the similar numbers where the singer could remember the words.

If people are dancing you don’t give them the chance to sit down! That’s the reason that songs have always segued into one another, and there are many songs which have been made up from different sources.

We Can Work It Out, Without You and What's Love Got To Do With It.

All with verses, choruses or middle sections written by different people and played as one song.

we do 2 or three medleys in one of my function bands they are

blame it on the boogie/superstition/i wish (all songs in eb makes for easy transitions)

one love/stir it up/three little birds (all songs in A so again easy transitions)

abba medley (dancing queen/does your mother know/money money money/mamma mia/waterloo)

In The Daves, at various points throughout the set we run the following into each other:

Anarchy in The UK/White Riot (Pistols/Clash)
ASBO St/Moped Lads (One of ours/Peter & Test Tube Babies)
Turning Japanese/Ant Music (Vapors/Adam & The Ants)
Sedated/Sheena is a Punk Rocker (Ramones)

We do...

REM End of the World into Girls Aloud(?) Love Machine and back again.

Crosby/Stills Love the one you're with into the middle bit of Stairway to Heaven and back again.

Bit of Bob Marley's Everything gonna be all right over the last bit of Coldplay Fix You.

Function band I dep with a lot do this a lot, and usually strangely, best one so far is Bootylicious (destinys child), into Suck My Kiss (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) then Suck my Kiss with The vocal from Survivor (destinys child again) which turns into the proper version of Survivor, and mutates into Suck My Kiss, and a bit of Give it Away before resolving back into Bootylicious by the end. There may be more bits that I have forgotten,

Oh, also Moondance sung over Billy-Jean (one for Bilbo there)
:)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1372151584' post='2122136']
I don't know about doing this with covers, but I sure as hell need to do this with some of the various song fragments I have lying around ;)
[/quote]

Know that feeling well! ;-)

We have merged Whole Lotta Love & Paranoid into Whole Lotta Paranoid.

We start with Whole Lotta Love and after the 2nd chorus (before the middle section) hold the E for the beginning of Paranoid, also in E. After paranoid finishes we are holding the E and start again with the end of Whole Lotta Love where the vocals come in with 'Way down'. It really works and is favourite in our set for a whole lotta of people B)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1372157800' post='2122223']
In The Daves, at various points throughout the set we run the following into each other:

Anarchy in The UK/White Riot (Pistols/Clash)
ASBO St/Moped Lads (One of ours/Peter & Test Tube Babies)
Turning Japanese/Ant Music (Vapors/Adam & The Ants)
Sedated/Sheena is a Punk Rocker (Ramones)
[/quote]

My god, awesome set list, I want to come along and see you guys play............... In fact I want to play Bass in your band :lol:

cheers

thebassman

We do a version of Mercy (by the 3rd Degree) with a verse and chorus of Billie Jean in the middle and another medley of Bad Girls into September (EW&F) into Dancing in The Streets.

It's all about keeping the party going!

We use to do
Owner of a lonely heart/stairway to heaven
Seven Nation Army/Sweet Dreams are Made of This

Mostly it was because we couldn't handle key changes or difficult bits!

Remember doing Since You've Been Gone/Fire (Arthur Brown)/Burn at a country village pub - big crescendo - complete silence! The only sound we heard on stage was an old boy at the bar who looked at his mate and said 'F**k!!!"