Why become a member? ×

Car of choice for lugging gear

You can take the seats out of a Citroen Picasso - then it fits my bass and (not small) rig, drumkit, guitar amp, vocal PA and a passenger. Or take two seats out and it fits three mountain bikers and their bikes and gear. And it does 55+ miles/gallon.

Your Clarksons might not think people acrriers are cool but I do :D

Using a Saab 9-5. Took this in it earlier this year: 1x410, 1x210, 1x110 combo, 2x112, 1x amp, 4x bass in hard case, 25 t-shirts in box, pedalboard, sleeping gear, 24x beer and still had room for a passenger.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjelkeman/9131477685/][/url]

I pootle about in a 2005 Honda Civic Sport. With the seats down it's like a wee van (albeit with a not very flat floor). Not that I cart about a huge amount of gear - 4x10, head, bass, bag-o-bits-n-bobs, extension cable. I can put the 4x10 up on its side and split the rear seat so could still take 2 passengers. I usually have some room for other band members' stuff too. It's pretty flexible and works for me.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1372100447' post='2121631']
Another vote for the Octavia VRS hatchback, I get loads of comments on how good it looks and driven sensibly it will turn 50+ mpg
[/quote]

Great looking, loads of space and fun to drive, sure - but do you really get that mileage? I think I'm doing well if I get 40 on a long run and 30 around the doors... Is your a diesel? :o

Astra diesel estate - had a few now and they've all been reliable. Massive load capacity for a medium sized car, flat load area (major requirement for me !), cheap to run / tax / insure, and drive well too. Does n't attract attention from plod or thieves, and spares readily available everywhere for not silly prices.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1372077882' post='2121244']
So I thought I would start a thread to see what cars you all use to lug your gear around?

I am getting a new car hopefully later this year as our Fiat Punto is not really big enough for lugging my bass gear around or going camping which we also do fairly regularly.

I was wondering if you have any recommendations? My wife doesn't want a people carrier and doesn't like the look of most estate cars. So my options are somewhat limited!

I have been looking at 09 reg Mazda 6 Sports hatchback or Skoda Octavia VRS which seem to have plenty of room but also been looking at BMW 3, Audi A4 and Alfa 159 Estates.

Any hints, tips or good advice?

Does anyone use saloon cars? - can any of them fit a bass guitar and 15" cone 100W kickback amp combo in the boot?
[/quote]

My Skoda Octavia hatchback - borrowed at the moment, is surprisingly big in the boot and massive with the seats down. It is not a keeper for us though - we are buying either a VW surf bus or a Mercedes Vito surf bus.....so, space won't be an issue with a semi van!

Best I have had:

Volvo estate, huge amount can be loaded very easily
Mercedes E class estate, huge power and easily loaded, massive space

Worst:

Alfa 156 Sportwagon - very small and tricky to load
Mercedes ML - Tricky to load, unless seats are folded.

I bought a mini recently and fit in my 2x10 and 1x15 cabs plus amp and extra case in the back with seats dropped down - the bass is the front passenger.
Big plus is that I don't have to stop off to pick up the singer on the way to gigs now!!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1372152739' post='2122153']
Great looking, loads of space and fun to drive, sure - but do you really get that mileage? I think I'm doing well if I get 40 on a long run and 30 around the doors... Is your a diesel? :o
[/quote]

Yeah go for the diesel (currently averaging 52 mpg across a full tank of diesel and at 25000 miles it's not even run in yet)

NOT an Audi A3 Sportback.

Can't get anything in the bleddy thing.

Had a 5-door Toyota RAV4 before and it worked really well- boot is level with you so you don't need to lift up-and-out, just out.

Funnily enough, just put a deposit down on another one.

Anyone want to buy a A3 Sportback?

£3000

BMW 330D SE touring (aka estate) for me. Regularly pack in PA Sub, 4x10, rack mounted head + tuner, 2 basses, box full o' bits, mic stands and a passenger, and have plenty of space.

Has a bit of zip about it. Stops well too. But inability to use indicators & stay in lane is a problem. (There's a whole 'nother post about how I change behind the wheel depending on if I'm in the BMW or wife's jazz)

The downside is that the top of the rear bumper has taken a beating. But that's what it's there for, eh?

When it goes 'bang', I want to replace it with something that I can remove the back seats from. My old Galaxy could do that. Or rather the back-back seats folded into the floor. Skoda Yeti perhaps?

It's been mentioned already, but, I'm gonna throw another vote for the focus MKII hatch.

Last year it took the following to a gig we played in Bolton:

2 Marshall 4x12 cabs
1 Ashdown 4x10 combo
1 Ashdown 1x15 cab
1 orange thunderverb 50 head
Full compliment of drum hardware
My case of bits n' cables
The guitarists case of bits n' cables

Then I opted for the 18" floor tom on the passenger seat rather than the drummer.

[quote name='dougal']

When it goes 'bang', I want to replace it with something that I can remove the back seats from. My old Galaxy could do that. Or rather the back-back seats folded into the floor. Skoda Yeti perhaps?
[/quote]

The yeti is not very roomy on the inside, you'd be better off in a prius+ for instance.

I used to get my Markbass 2x15, 2 basses, 4unit hard case, 2 PA tops, 2 monitors, desk and 2 bags of cables, plus a passenger in my 1994 Renault Clio, with room to spare! I don't know how but it still got me there!

I don't recommend the Citroen C4, the boot load in is wide and tall but the shape and space inside is not great, it's a real squeeze to fit the same amount of gear in just because of the trim in the car.

My drummer has a Vectra and it really swallows up the gear with the seats up.

Anyone have any experience with a Ford Focus (2002 ish) Chic model, and can shed any light on whether they are pretty good for carrying 2x10's, basses and small amps?

I've not tried the boot for gig gear as yet...

I'm buying it off a family member as it is in SUPERB condition and a fantastic car. It's a good size and a very good price, so back to owning a car and being able to gig back home and in the North East again :)

Oh, and an excuse to start playing golf regularly now I have proper transport.

• 4 weeks later...

Merc E280 CDI estate (automatic) - swan around in comfort, can fit my whole bass rig in the boot and still close the load cover, or with the back seats down will carry guitar rig, (small) PA and drumkit, plus drummer in the passenger seat. Loaded up it gets 37mpg, or cruising along with just driver and 1 passenger on board, I have managed 44mpg. Great stereo too. But not cheap.

Coming home on the motorway from a gig, set the cruise to 70mph and have a little nap.