Why become a member? ×

Car of choice for lugging gear

So I thought I would start a thread to see what cars you all use to lug your gear around?

I am getting a new car hopefully later this year as our Fiat Punto is not really big enough for lugging my bass gear around or going camping which we also do fairly regularly.

I was wondering if you have any recommendations? My wife doesn't want a people carrier and doesn't like the look of most estate cars. So my options are somewhat limited!

I have been looking at 09 reg Mazda 6 Sports hatchback or Skoda Octavia VRS which seem to have plenty of room but also been looking at BMW 3, Audi A4 and Alfa 159 Estates.

Any hints, tips or good advice?

Does anyone use saloon cars? - can any of them fit a bass guitar and 15" cone 100W kickback amp combo in the boot?

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1372077882' post='2121244']
I have been looking at 09 reg Mazda 6 Sports hatchback or Skoda Octavia VRS which seem to have plenty of room but also been looking at BMW 3, Audi A4 and Alfa 159 Estates.
[/quote]

The guitarist and singer (they're a couple) have a 3 Series Bimmer touring (estate) which is brilliant for the amount of gear you can get in with the seats down. I've got a 5 Series which, if I'm being honest, isn't that much bigger that the 3 series. Little longer, little wider maybe.

I think estates or hatches are the only way to go for gigging musicians. Some saloons do have big boots but the practicalities of getting the gear in and out of the reduced aperture of the lid makes it just a bit more difficult than a hatch or estate.

T

A3 Sportback fits BF Super12 + leads case & bass pedals in the boot - with space for small bits & bobs dotted around in spaces - then twin bass bag, Roland A300 keyboard & synth, case fr the LED par bar & amp bag across the back seat.

Went for a smaller car than the previous Laguna estate as I was cutting down gear - yeah right ! <_< - and most of the time it's just me in the car too & from work

Shame she doesn't like MPVs.

I always use a 7-seater MPV with the rear row of seats removed and ditched, and any/all of the middle row in or out as required.

That gives a truly staggering load capacity and relatively easy access (which doesn't apply with my 5-Series Touring).

I've got a '97 Skoda Felicia with the back seats taken out. It's just the right width for basses and I can fit a f***tonne of gear in it!

The seats just bolt in again if I need to cart more people around.

I got given the car for nothing and I think I've spent £170 on it in 3 years (do repairs myself, see). That's the way to go! When I replace it I'll be looking for another banger to run into the ground. I like the idea of have a vehicle that pays for itself after a few gigs. Might not be glamorous but it works!

Truckstop

mondeo hatchback for me, had a focus 5 door before which was pretty good but the mondeo has a massive boot, i can get both cabs, 3 basses (in hiscox hard cases) and my box of pedals/leads all in the boot at once without folding the seats or removing the parcel shelf.

and it cost me 1100 quid!
might swap it next year but most likely just for a slightly newer one (current one is a 53 plate)

my wife had a '96 felicia for a while and it was an excellent car!

Matt

Take yourself off to your nearest car supermarket. You can crawl around dozens of different makes armed with a tape measure and notepad and no one will hassle you.
Go with an open mind and you may get some surprises. Not just the volume but how easy is access, do the doors open fully, do the seats fold easily to give a flat surface etc.

I found that a very worthwhile trip when I changed my car recently.

[b]VW Passat diesel estate[/b], spacious, easily consumes my long scale bass, TC BG250 combo and a small PA (Flight cased mixer, 2 x RCF ART10's plus 1 x dB 12' bass bin)!!
Averages 45mpg round town, 60mpg motorway.

If you're looking for a good older car, I would recommend a low mileage [b]Peugeot 406 diesel estate,[/b] (if you can find one), even more space and TOTALLY reliable. My old one did 250,000 trouble free miles and was still going strong when I sold it!!

Good Luck!

Edited by worroourkid

I'd go for the Octavia estate.
The new version is out soon with a bigger boot.

Have you thought of the Suberb estate?
That thing is massive inside.

If the 159 is anything like the 156 then the boot opening was quite small and an odd shape.
The Octavia and the A4 are basically the same car (as is the Passat)

and a BMW is a BMW (no indicators, difficulty staying in lanes...)

Edited by bartelby

In the back of my Hyundai Accent I can get 2 15" cabs on the back seat, with two basses thrust twixt back seats and front (always do this after adjusting your front seat if your midget wife has borrowed it, otherwise you have to take it all out again to shove the seat back).
And a Head, plus big bag of cables and pedalboard and mic stand in the boot, with room to spare. If I put the seats down, I have managed all this plus a PA rig with 2 "12 cabs, stands, poweramp and mixing desk plus the big cable box. I think I had to stick one of the basses in the passenger seat though.
It's a saloon.
:)

BMW 320D MSport Saloon.

Great on fuel. Looks the nuts and can fit loads of gear in it, not as much as the tourer, but good enough. I get 2 basses, 2 mike stands, 2 guitars, Mark Bass 151P, my guitarist big Marshall Stack, Numerous cables and pedal stuff.

Haven't tried to put a drum kit in it yet tho.

I used to drive a Citroen Berlingo and the load space in that was immense. Plus a level loading platform - no lip to negotiate so big cabs on castors used to slide straight in. I once took me, guitarist and drummer, complete with all our respective kit, to a gig.

I now drive a Skoda Yeti that is superior in every way - apart from load space. More than enough for me + 1 guitarist, though.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1372080687' post='2121299']
I'd go for the Octavia estate.
The new version is out soon with a bigger boot.

Have you thought of the Suberb estate?
That thing is massive inside.

If the 159 is anything like the 156 then the boot opening was quite small and an odd shape.
The Octavia and the A4 are basically the same car (as is the Passat)

and a BMW is a BMW (no indicators, difficulty staying in lanes...)
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure the Octavia is actually only on the golf/ A3 chassis rather than the A4 , it's not actually as big as it looks.

Skoda Fabia estate.

TC 2x12, TC 2x10, Amp and leads in laptop bag, bag of other leads, mic stand, 2 bass stands, 2 basses in gig bags. That's without the back seats down

have also had 2 additional guitars in the boot.

With the back seats down I've also had a full drum kit and a fender twin in there.