Why become a member? ×

Car of choice for lugging gear

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1372161037' post='2122288']
Peugeot 307 estate. Admittedly it's a bit like an MPV, but actually has room in the boot :)

All of my stuff fits in the boot (15" combo, lights, various bags/holdalls/cases) and the bass goes in the rear footwell.
[/quote]
Got one of these and they are great with the back seats out, but still think the Citroen Picasso I used to have was a better load carrier - sh*tt*r car though.

No-one mentioned a campervan or motorhome yet? Great stuff, if you can find one at a reasonable price.
I'm aware they [b]are[/b] pricey, but still thought it worthwile to mention.

My company had one of those with a "garage": a large bulkroom under the "master bedroom". I just took out this double bed, and thus got a 25 sq.ft. room with two large doors on the sides (appr. 3 ft wide and 4 ft high).
Loading platform roughly 1.5 ft above the road - maybe not perfect, but immensely much better than all these quirky regular car solutions.

Also comes with ramp for your moped. Get an extra one of those ramps, and you rolls you's cabs into you's van!

Oh, and as to regular estate cars, maybe it has been mentioned, but get one with squarish doors for the rear seats, like the Ford Sierra estate was, and many of these modern and cheapish combi things are that resemble little Transits (don't know the term). Luvverly.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[attachment=140346:Rena_Traf.jpg]

This is our 'tour bus', bought for 1500 €. Flexible seating (up to 8 places, with comfortable coach seats...), reliable diesel, cheap insurance. Also serves when buying second-hand furniture, or picking up a buddies busted bike. Very useful all round.

Different yet practical and a contempory classic gentlemen...i give you the FX4 Fairway!

Diesel, auto, 6 seater, cheap parts, fix it with a socket set 'n hammer, 350k miles considered low mileage, the original people carrier....and its considered mandatory to moan about everything.

can fit a piano in the rear too from what i hear.

Edited by iconic

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1375308749' post='2159718']
Merc E280 CDI estate (automatic) - swan around in comfort, can fit my whole bass rig in the boot and still close the load cover, or with the back seats down will carry guitar rig, (small) PA and drumkit, plus drummer in the passenger seat. Loaded up it gets 37mpg, or cruising along with just driver and 1 passenger on board, I have managed 44mpg. Great stereo too. But not cheap.

Coming home on the motorway from a gig, set the cruise to 70mph and have a little nap.
[/quote]
Lovely, isn't it? And I manage similar consumption from an E320 CDI. As soon ss I read this, I thought, "I could have written that!"

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1373037714' post='2133101']
BMW 330D SE touring (aka estate) for me. Regularly pack in PA Sub, 4x10, rack mounted head + tuner, 2 basses, box full o' bits, mic stands and a passenger, and have plenty of space.

Has a bit of zip about it. Stops well too. But inability to use indicators & stay in lane is a problem. (There's a whole 'nother post about how I change behind the wheel depending on if I'm in the BMW or wife's jazz)

The downside is that the top of the rear bumper has taken a beating. But that's what it's there for, eh?

[/quote]

My dad just bought a 10 reg BMW 320d touring and I drove them to Gatwick air port in it last night. Blimey, I have owned 3 BMWs in my time - 2 x E30 318 and an E36 328 Coupe and now I know I want one of these 320d touring.

I can't afford the Business Tech edition that Dad has with all the i-drive/Sat Nav malarky but it is rather lovely.... :wub:

More likely is a 58 reg: either a Mazda 6 Sport Estate (if the wife will allow an estate) or hatchback version if not, or possibly the Skoda Octavia VRS in either hatch or estate versions.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1375340455' post='2159881']
Lovely, isn't it? And I manage similar consumption from an E320 CDI. As soon ss I read this, I thought, "I could have written that!"
[/quote]

Me too. E220 CDi here. 40-45mpg without trying, have had 50+ on occasions, and the 2.2 can still mix it at 100mph+ on the autobahns. As mentioned, the load space is huge!

Mondeo estate - fits 4x10 cab, guitarist's Peavey combo, 2x Mackie SRM450, 2x10" powered monitors, large-suitcase-sized lights case, small amp, small mixer, effects pedalboard, leads bag, mic stands, speaker stands, two basses, myself, and Mrs Zero.

Less practically, I have used a Lotus Elite 2.2 with a 1x15 cab on the front passenger seat, and a Triumph Tiger 900 with a Gallien Krueger 200MB on the pillion seat, leads and effects bag and sleeping bag on the rear rack, and Westone Quantum cricket-bat bass strapped on top of that.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1375347803' post='2159993']

More likely is a 58 reg: either a Mazda 6 Sport Estate (if the wife will allow an estate) or hatchback version if not, or possibly the Skoda Octavia VRS in either hatch or estate versions.
[/quote]
I've got a 58 plate Mazda 6 sport estate. Nice car, drives really nice, good equipment level, fantastic Bose stereo ( some models come with a chemical repair kit rather than a spare wheel, in its place is a lovely Bose subwoofer) good economy. The only thing I would say is that the 2008 models had a 143ps 2.0d, which is what mine has, whereas my friend has a 59 plate 185ps 2.2d and it feels/sounds more refined. So if I were looking to buy one now then I' would definitely go for a 2.2.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1375349071' post='2160013']
My 2010 Honda Civic gets loads in it.

Seats go flat easily, and I can get all my drum kit and hardware in it, all in Hardcase boxes.

2.2 Diesel, very fast too
[/quote]

I know a drummer who runs a Civic and they're surprisingly good cars for carrying gear around, and they're comfy too. So if you want something relatively bomb proof and comfortable, Civics are good. I run a Fabia but I'm just very good at playing tetris :lol:

Vectra estates are huge inside and the load space is completely flat, and I like Passats too.

Smart Car. I can get 2x10 and 1x15 mesa boogie Powerhouse cabs together or a 4x10 Powerhouse on its own in the back, the walkabout head in its gig bag on the front seat and the bass in it's case in the passenger footwell and held in place with the seatbelt. Not something I do often as it's a bit cramped driving but it works. Usually it's just one cab which is much better.

Smaller gigs where I can just take the Phil Jones briefcase are even better. :-)

Jazzyvee

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1375368427' post='2160392']
I've got a 58 plate Mazda 6 sport estate. Nice car, drives really nice, good equipment level, fantastic Bose stereo ( some models come with a chemical repair kit rather than a spare wheel, in its place is a lovely Bose subwoofer) good economy. The only thing I would say is that the 2008 models had a 143ps 2.0d, which is what mine has, whereas my friend has a 59 plate 185ps 2.2d and it feels/sounds more refined. So if I were looking to buy one now then I' would definitely go for a 2.2.
[/quote]

Agreed - that's what the reviews say too. I am looking at the 183ps model. Tasty indeed.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1375370591' post='2160440']
Smart Car. I can get 2x10 and 1x15 mesa boogie Powerhouse cabs together or a 4x10 Powerhouse on its own in the back, the walkabout head in its gig bag on the front seat and the bass in it's case in the passenger footwell and held in place with the seatbelt. Not something I do often as it's a bit cramped driving but it works. Usually it's just one cab which is much better.

Smaller gigs where I can just take the Phil Jones briefcase are even better. :-)

Jazzyvee
[/quote]

That must double the weight of the car?! :)

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

I'm still driving my Hyundai Tucson, 2.0d 4WD - 2 years - my longest ever vehicle! I would say it's an SUV though, not technically a car.

Bass goes in the rear foot-well, 2 x Markbass (Amp and Cab) in the boot. No seats down, just straight in. All rear windows tinted, so you can't see any gear at all.

Going to keep it until it blows up, really. No cash to change for the forseeable - so although the MPG is poor (28/30) I'm kind of stuck......but it's a superb gear-lugger.

When I do change, it'll be the Hyundai Veloster. Check them out, the looks put most cars to shame. As for getting the gear in it.....I'd find a way!