Why become a member? ×

Trading and selling on Basschat seems to have dramatically declined

cloudburst

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1371413852' post='2113672']

The point was valid. It didn't look like an insult IMHO. You are being sensitive.....again an opinion not an insult. (no smiley)

The fact is some members are now pushing gear through alternative routes to BC because of the fees. If this does not concern you then fair enough.
[/quote]

+1

Think there was some good points raised.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1371413691' post='2113665']
I am very sorry you took this as an insult, it wasn't meant that way at all and the smiley was meant to show that.
[/quote]

That's OK, if you look you'll see that I put a :D at the end of my post, so everything's equal as far as I'm concerned.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1371414183' post='2113678']
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SITE FOR BASS ENTHUSIASTS, EXPENSIVE BASSES, CHEAP BASSES, WHATEVER , ALL I CAN SEE IS GUYS LOOKING AT PICS AND MAKING COMMENTS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, ITS A WASTE OF TIM ADVERTISING ON HERE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. IS THERE REALLY ANY POINT IN HAVING A FOR SALE SECTION??????
[/quote]

U R NZAI FAGIT, MY BRO CODY HE DEPLOID TO OVERSEE, HE KCIK yoUR ASS MOFO> IF I WANT FREE SELL WHY I NOT HAVE IT IT MY RITE? IF BSASCAHT NO LISTEN TO ME I TAKE MY $200 000 FODERA LESEWHERE AN DON DISS ME MODRATUR. SErcET OF USUCCESS LISTN YOUR CUTSOMERS EVen iF THEY PISSY BEYOTCHES AN fAGITS WOO NO UNDSTAN WHEN SAY 'FUK YOO ASHSHOLE.

You`ve a fair point there Clarky. I think many of us comment on basses, specially on mates ads, to try and encourage a sale for them, have certainly done so myself. Bt maybe a genuine buyer may not have the patience to read through 2/3 pages of "great bass, if only I had the cash" so then said seller loses out.

Maybe a way forward is to discourage this - one for the mods maybe. If it encourages actual sales I can`t think of anyone getting the hump about it. Only post on a For Sale ad if actually interested in buying or making enquiries to see if intending to buy?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1371414588' post='2113693']
You`ve a fair point there Clarky. I think many of us comment on basses, specially on mates ads, to try and encourage a sale for them, have certainly done so myself. Bt maybe a genuine buyer may not have the patience to read through 2/3 pages of "great bass, if only I had the cash" so then said seller loses out.

Maybe a way forward is to discourage this - one for the mods maybe. If it encourages actual sales I can`t think of anyone getting the hump about it. Only post on a For Sale ad if actually interested in buying or making enquiries to see if intending to buy?
[/quote]
Actually Lozz I was just re-posting the infamous TIM post from a couple of years ago!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371414716' post='2113698']
All this over having to pay a measly TWENTY QUID to advertise as much as you like for a whole year.

Unbelievable.

I bet half the complainers spend twice as much as that on beer of a weekend.
[/quote]

I thought the original thread was regarding the reduction in 'for sale' traffic. A number of reasons were postulated INCLUDING the introduction of fees. It is fairly certain there is a causal link. Personally I'm not complaining about the fees BUT it has reduced the amount of traffic I am doing.......a nice side benefit GAS diffusion (there's an old Chemist's joke in there somewhere).

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1371414716' post='2113698']
All this over having to pay a measly TWENTY QUID to advertise as much as you like for a whole year.

Unbelievable.

I bet half the complainers spend twice as much as that on beer of a weekend.
[/quote]
I think the issue is more a case of the cost is too high for what you're getting... As been said before, you're pretty much paying for CHANCE to sell your item.
[size=4]Now of course you have 26,000 members to hit, so your chances do increase of selling (compared with with facebook pages which are more location based).[/size]

I'd happily pay a fee if I were still selling tons of equipment - but right now, I have 1 effect and controller - so not really worth while!

IMO :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1371414906' post='2113705']
Is the Wanted section experiencing a higher volume of traffic as a way of negotiating a way around the fees?
[/quote]

Not really.

It's for 'Wanted Items' only and attempts to start threads to sell or trade are removed.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1371414183' post='2113678']
THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A SITE FOR BASS ENTHUSIASTS, EXPENSIVE BASSES, CHEAP BASSES, WHATEVER , ALL I CAN SEE IS GUYS LOOKING AT PICS AND MAKING COMMENTS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, ITS A WASTE OF TIM ADVERTISING ON HERE AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. IS THERE REALLY ANY POINT IN HAVING A FOR SALE SECTION??????
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you really sure you dare post that one?
</MS Windows>

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1371408017' post='2113514']
Pinned in each Marketplace forum is a notice regarding locked threads.

It makes perfectly clear that if anyone has an old advert that is still valid, all it takes is a PM and it'll be unlocked.

If I'm sat at my PC when the request arrives then it gets actioned within a minute - and that includes writing a PM back to the person to let them know it's been done.

We really couldn't have made it any easier. :)
[/quote]

Ian did exactly this for my flightcase ad, very quickly.

One of the few things i've noticed since the £20 fee came in is there aren't as many.......

i'd be all over this if it was a 4 string

i'd be all over this if it was a 5 string

i'd be all over this if it was 6 string

i'd be all over this if it was fretless

my uncle had one of these.....

our guitarists auntie had one of these and swears by it

my first bass was one of these so have a bump on me

that's an Uncle Mat that is

I was once selling a bass, offered for collection only. Someone got in touch with me, from down near London. When he asked where I was, I said I was in Northumberland, about twenty minutes from Newcastle Upon Tyne, ten minutes from the A1 D/C and fifteen minutes from the airport. He asked if I would post, saying I was "nowhere near anywhere". Good grief!

I once had a bloke drive up from London to Newcastle to buy an Alembic off me. That is commitment!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371419202' post='2113793']
One of the few things i've noticed since the £20 fee came in is there aren't as many.......
[/quote]

Speaking only from my own perspective, I stopped doing stuff like that - - not when the fee came, but when the alternative Marketplace was tested - the one without the discussion threads.
After that, I just never went back to look and comment.
Staying away is also driven by my fear I might see something I fancy - which would not fit my general skintness.

My guess is this may go for other people as well.

best,
bert

Yes, I do recall when the marketplace was filled with lengthy discussions, it was a great focal point for discussion on a certain model of bass, or even just that guitar in particular, as opposed to the more generic brand based discussions which take place elsewhere. It was so full of life and banter, and MB1's witty posts.

I have a feeling that actual sales possibly hasn't slowed down much on basschat - I think it's been slow for a while. If you looked before you had a lot of stuff going up but most of it seemed to be cycling around not selling. Now a few years ago the prices would have come down till they shifted BUT I've a feeling as people have been feeling the pinch they havn't been dropping their prices as much as they would have done when we al felt more confident about the economy. Plus as the forum gets bigger you're less likely to see the basschat-special type low prices!
So before the fee my feeling is that things wern't going quickly and people weren't dropping their prices much - but what they were able to do was list stuff they weren't sure about. "Hmm do I prefer my Jazz bitsa or my JV squier? I dunno i'll stick them both up and see what sells" - which now costs money, and while a small amount it's that wee pause to think that will convince you that it's not worth listing them.
So we get less stuff go on, and less stuff cycling around.
I also think, with people not dropping their percieved value, most the deals of value are going to be trades at the moment - people don't have as much spare cash.
Mind you what I found really really odd with when I stuck my JV squier up for sale... I pitched it at around or just below what other similar JV were being advertised at - and would have probably taken less for it.... but I didn't even get one lowballer - not one.
I kinda missed that!

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1371398743' post='2113345']
If I saw an interesting bass on Feebay, from somebody who obviously didn't know about Basschat, I would point them in this direction.
I don't do that now, because of the fees on here.
I probably put 15/20 new members our way last year.
My Alembic is on hold to a guy from Bumtree who is coming back next Saturday with the cash. If a very good conditioned Alembic doesn't go on here for £1000 it perhaps shows hard times?
I did have A LOT of offers for exchange here, but the only suitable offer was another guy from Bumtree. Perhaps most of us on here have filled our boots anyway?
[/quote] why that alembic is still in your house is a massive mystery to me.

I think the fees are more than reasonable for the exposure an ad on here will give you, but I don't know if the one-off ad fee should be £5 rather than £7. It's only a £2 difference, but I reckon going above £5 will be a bit of a psychological barrier for people new to the site. From a revenue perspective, a thousand ads at £5 is better than five hundred at £7 too...

B.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1371431139' post='2113910']
If you think a fee of £20 a year is too high for the sale of a cheap bass, just sell more stuff until it becomes reasonable.
[/quote]

I don't think the size of the fee is the issue. I think, from memory, that the prices are £7 for a single item, £20 for as much as you like in a year and free for anything less than £50. [i]Correct me if I'm wrong there anyone.[/i] Those are very reasonable fees.

It's the fact that there is [i]any [/i] charge at all. Any resource on the Internet which charges a fee puts an obstacle in the way of users ....... and therefore reduces the traffic. It is illogical that such a small obstacle would cause a large drop off in traffic - but this is the Internet we are talking about. Users expect "free" and leave in their droves when they see [i]any [/i]fee of any kind.

It doesn't make sense, but it is the way of the Internet.

[size=3]I've had a good read through this and agree with some of it and disagree with some of it , I think the fee of £20 a year is pretty fair compared to what you would pay on Ebay and also if you don't want to pay the fee there is always places like Gumtree you can use for free I think it would be nice to have like a swapshop where you did not have to pay a fee to trade guitars but I know it would be very open to abuse by people that wanted to sell but did not want to pay the selling fee, another thing I have noticed in the Basschat market place that might put buyers off is that some of the Basses for sale are not much cheaper than they are new in the shop now I know everyone wants to get as much money as they can for the sale of there stuff but when only a few quid cheaper it is a no brainer you might as well get it from the shop as you are covered by guarantees etc etc if the bass is no good I know on the flipside there are also some cracking bargains.But I think the biggest reason for things slowing down is that most people cant justify spending there money on basses and such when the cost of everyday living swallows there money up a sign of the times and it will probably get worse I am afraid but I hope it doesn't. [/size]

Edited by Thunderbird