Why become a member? ×

Posting images of Rickenbacker copies

Gust0o

I'd agree with others that we should not discuss the products at all, before anyone calls me an ebmm fan boi I was one of the people annoyed that the ebmm thread about bad fret slots was pulled by request rather than just cleared up. Sure I'm not saying basschat should commision a fake ricky but banning images or private members selling basses......jeez.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I say good for "Mr Rickenbacker" there.

Rickenbacker has developed a unique looking - and visually stunning bass. They don't produce my sound, so I don't buy them generally. However, I think they have every right to stand up against the copiers.

I know it's not the popular view on here - but I say well done to the man.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369175924' post='2086036']
I say good for "Mr Rickenbacker" there.

Rickenbacker has developed a unique looking - and visually stunning bass. They don't produce my sound, so I don't buy them generally. However, I think they have every right to stand up against the copiers.

I know it's not the popular view on here - but I say well done to the man.
[/quote]

Just a shame he's so bloody rude.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369175924' post='2086036']...I think they have every right to stand up against the copiers...[/quote]

...and I respect that thought, although I hold the opposite view; I don't believe in 'intellectual property' and its abuse (in my eyes...). Once one has had the honest payment for the time spent (including training...) I see no reason for anything being 'protected'. I know; the law says differently. I maintain my view on (my own...) moral terms.
More to the point in this thread: when we were young (low or no budget...) we bought Shaftesburys, and enjoyed them greatly. Now, (much...) older and wiser, we've disposable income, and a step up to the 'real thing' becomes a possibility. This sort of 'marketing' does not incite the likes of me to take that step. I no longer care whether they're worth the difference (a moot point, it seems...), I'm no longer to be tempted. Never mind. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

I see no reason to buy or publicly discuss R*rs.

I was intending to gig a bass with a curious body shape soon, though. It has two soapbar-style pickups and a Fender-copy headstock. Perhaps I will reconsider. I see no reason to support Mr Hall in any way whatever; including publicising his company's designs by showing the punters similar stuff. I think I'll stick it in the attic; it might be worth more after R*r have gone bust.

Edited by alyctes

The trouble with this new policy is it's going to increase the chances of people trying to pass fakers off as the real thing in order to sell them. If something physically cannot be sold as a Hondo II or whatever, and I had to sell it, I'd now be inclined to print off a Ric logo and glue it on the headstock- the buyer would know the deal, and suddenly the rickstapo would have to police every single listing, not just the ones trying to avoid using the 'r' word in full.

Bad decision. Have you never deal with bullies before? Because of its previous announcements, BC has now been identified as a mark, as someone/thing he's succesfully frightened in the past, and now it's on his list of compliant victims who he can exert control over with some vaguely-defined legal threats. And they're *only ever* threats - taking real action costs him too much. Before you know it, you're actually enforcing his nonsense on his behalf, without him having to lift a finger...

Resist. Don't be an agent for this man's BS.

Edited by mickster

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1369185339' post='2086114']
Bad decision. Have you never deal with bullies before? Because of its previous announcements, BC has now been identified as a mark, as someone/thing he's succesfully frightened in the past, and now it's on his list of compliant victims who he can exert control over with some vaguely-defined legal threats. And they're *only ever* threats - taking real action costs him too much. Before you know it, you're actually enforcing his nonsense on his behalf, without him having to lift a finger...

[/quote]

If you can cover the legal fees then no problem :D

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1369185339' post='2086114']

[/quote]
I think he'd be quite prepared to have a pop at a small operation like Basschat; less so the Far East manufacturers and their European importers. It's easy to say it'll all come back and bite him on the bum with all the adverse advertising these threats will attract to RIC but I don't think he cares. RIC, to me, is a very Amero-centric operation and I reckon there are enough fanbois and afficionados over there to keep the company ticking along so he's not gonna worry about li'l ole UK.

And now he seems to have attempted to reactivate a lapsed patent on the horseshoe-magnet pup and has served a writ without the patent being granted? Where, as someone else said, is it gonna stop?

Edited by Stacker

Ironic isn't it that if I had written some top hit song about the same time the 4001 was designed it would be out of copyright about now....

on another note - while I have no problem with a company trying to stop factories making new bracer shaped products- it's interesting legally that you can take a (worldwide???) trademark out on a product's shape 40-50 years after it was developed and retroactively try and apply that to 30-40 years of products using that shape. would be nice to see someone in europe test that in court (but not basschat).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369206849' post='2086159']
Bearing in mind that it is impossible to authenticate any instrument from photographs, the only logical action Basschat can take is to ban all images of Rickenbacker shaped instruments.
[/quote]

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bearing in mind that it is impossible to authenticate any instrument from photographs, the only logical action Basschat can take is to ban all images of Rickenbacker shaped instruments.[/font][/color][/quote]

Aside from the "tit for tat" angle this approach would make sound sense and provide Basschat with a further level of protection - If as suggested a fake is passed off as original then discovered the I presume BC would be liable

I really don't understand how they can have received the trademark/patent protection. In the pharmaceutical world (my area), a patent can only be granted if its novel and non-obvious to someone skilled in the art. A requirement of novelty is no 'prior art' (ie, references anywhere to something that closely resembles the invention). None of this applies to the R*ck design currently as far as I can see. Also patents expire (20 years from application) as the system is a tit-for-tat, ie, the inventor has a period of protection/exclusivity to exploit the invention at the end of which everyone is free to copy that invention. Again, given the age of the R*ck design, how does this apply in any way, shape or form?

I wouldn't actually be surprised if they would have difficulties upholding this in a court challenge but the simple threat of possibly huge legal expenses is probably scary enough for most to desist. Including BassChat :( Possibly also explains why well-funded "competitors" (eg that big German music store) are happily selling copies

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369206849' post='2086159']
Bearing in mind that it is impossible to authenticate any instrument from photographs, the only logical action Basschat can take is to ban all images of Rickenbacker shaped instruments.
[/quote]

I think we'd only do this if the situation deteriorated significantly or the community requested it.

I played many fender copies over the years when i was lacking the cash for a real fender,but when i finally had enough money i bought a real one and fender over the years have spent money and time trying to refine develop there products.
I think the company in question would be better off spending there time refining there product and developing new ones of a quality to match the price tag.
And maybe as others have said a ban on all mention of the name.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think we'd only do this if the situation deteriorated significantly or the community requested it.[/font][/color][/quote]

Start a poll and ask I suppose would be the solution -

Options

Carry on as suggested by Rickenbacker (i.e no copies photos etc)
Stop all RB like photos from the site
Stop all RB content from the site