Why become a member? ×

Posting images of Rickenbacker copies

Gust0o

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1369219299' post='2086365']
But that was because the tail lift was a "registered trademark." Not to mention the intonation and saddle adjustment problems. But hey, come on, that's worth paying for isn't it?!!
[/quote]
And the odd fretboard flying off :o , the Blue Boy stain, and a big problem with the 4004's that I can't remember

Edited by karlfer

This must be incredibly stressful for Mr.Hall, trying to police every single advert for a non-genuine Ricky in the entirety of the EU and the USA, and wherever else he has some kind of power. If the man's a CEO of the company, or whatever he is in the company, then he should probably invest more time in to R&D, increasing their reputation (this kind of thing has the opposite effect) and making them a usable, affordable and cool thing to have. Currently, I wouldn't buy one for those reasons. They aren't affordable, cool, nice to look at or have a good reputation. Honestly, how desperate do you have to be to try and hang on to past glory so much? Innovate and move forward.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1369217800' post='2086342']
Fixed it for you my dear boy.

...Why not copyright maple wooded basses? That's only ever been used by them....

[/quote]

I think Spector may be in the brown and sticky stuff then.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1369220633' post='2086394']
Honestly, how desperate do you have to be to try and hang on to past glory so much? Innovate and move forward.
[/quote]

Thing is, half the glory he is hanging on to was made by copies. Loads of the famous Rick users were actually playing copies, but still get claimed as Rick users, even if they notably never used a real one in their career (Peter Hook and his Hondo he got rid of first opportunity is standout).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1369221497' post='2086411']
From a purely Grammar Nazi point of view, it's not actually possible to increase a reputation ...

;)
[/quote]
GrammarWaffen and RickenWaffen in the same week :o

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1369222195' post='2086433']
Thing is, half the glory he is hanging on to was made by copies. Loads of the famous Rick users were actually playing copies, but still get claimed as Rick users, even if they notably never used a real one in their career (Peter Hook and his Hondo he got rid of first opportunity is standout).
[/quote]

I once had an idiot tell me that they were "the king of tone", which is a moronic thing to say, even if it were true. This was the same fella who said all 4x10 cabs were "sh*te" and for "pussies", noting even those incredibly terrible Gallien Krueger ones, and insisted instead that you need a 2x18 cab, like a real man.

Lemmy fans, eh?

This thread makes me sad.

I like Rickenbackers a lot (Mr Clifford Lee Burton, thats your fault that is) and own two but the conduct of the company in this manner is frankly ridiculous and a little well, pedantic.

I can agree with JH in policing any NEW copies of said instruments, but old Jap knockoffs from the 70's? Whats the point? I just dont get it. The poor publicity gained from the action of pursuing these (ahem) "criminals" who own these basses surely outweighs the benefit of stopping Bob from Watford sell his old CMI to Keith for £230,

All seems ridiculous and im with HJ here - a court case seems massively improbable. Be interesting to think what a UK government official has to say on the matter. Cant seem to sue all those dudes in China who make copies of BMW's etc!

Edited by Stag

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1369224425' post='2086481']
Oops :blush:

Get themselves a better reputation. (is that better? :))
[/quote]

Better still would be [i][b][color=#ff0000]improve [/color]a reputation[/b][/i] or [i][b][color=#ff0000]enhance [/color]a reputation[/b][/i], perhaps even [i][b][color=#ff0000]grow [/color]a reputation[/b][/i].

It's OK, Milty, my bill is in the post ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1369224847' post='2086492']
Better still would be [i][b][color=#ff0000]improve [/color]a reputation[/b][/i] or [i][b][color=#ff0000]enhance [/color]a reputation[/b][/i], perhaps even [i][b][color=#ff0000]grow [/color]a reputation[/b][/i].

It's OK, Milty, my bill is in the post ...
[/quote]

What's worse than your bill being in the post is that there is a Queen's English graduate about 10 feet away from me. DAMMIT! :(

I like my 4003. It's not as nice to play as my Fenders or MM and it has a mid-range focused sound that can be a pain to EQ but I love its vibe.

The attitude of John Hall has certainly poisoned my opinion of Rickenbacker over the years. I was banned from their forums for saying that I find John Hall's methods questionable on TALKBASS which goes to show the mentality of "you're with us or against us".

Whenever I see crap like this crop up I'm always tempted to sell the Rick.

Incidentally, and apropos of nothing at all,

[i]There was a young fellow named Hall[/i]
[i]Who drowned in the spring in the fall[/i]
[i]T'would have been a bad thing[/i]
[i]Had he drowned in the spring[/i]
[i]But he didn't - he drowned in the fall[/i]

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1369224419' post='2086479']
This thread makes me sad.

I like Rickenbackers a lot (Mr Clifford Lee Burton, thats your fault that is)
[/quote]

Check that pic of him on stage, where you can se the tail end of his bass. You can see the binding goes a bit under the bridge, rather than stopping right at the edge of the bridge. That's the tell of a copy.

I just spotted this Rick copy on eBay. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collectable-7-Single-Rick-Astley-Never-Gonna-Give-You-Up-good-condition-/390596246973?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5af159bdbd"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collectable-7-Single-Rick-Astley-Never-Gonna-Give-You-Up-good-condition-/390596246973?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5af159bdbd[/url]

But I've been a good boy and emailed the details to: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

I can only advise that if anyone else sees a 'Rick Copy' that they do the same. :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1369224346' post='2086476']
I once had an idiot tell me that they were "the king of tone", which is a moronic thing to say, even if it were true. This was the same fella who said all 4x10 cabs were "sh*te" and for "pussies", noting even those incredibly terrible Gallien Krueger ones, and insisted instead that you need a 2x18 cab, like a real man.

Lemmy fans, eh?
[/quote]
Lemmy doesn't use 18s. He uses 2 4x15s and 2 4x12s.

And I'm a huge Lemmy fan but I use a 4x10. Though I did used to own a 2x18. Your mate isn't a Lemmy fan, he's just a knob.

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1369224419' post='2086479']
the benefit of stopping Bob from Watford sell his old CMI to Keith for £230,

[/quote]
Is Bob trying to sell his CMI? I've been trying to bag that off him for years.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369177327' post='2086062']
Maybe he's indignant.
[/quote]

Indignation isn't a licence to be rude. And there's never an excuse for bullying, which this basically amounts to.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1369228663' post='2086578']
I just spotted this Rick copy on eBay. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collectable-7-Single-Rick-Astley-Never-Gonna-Give-You-Up-good-condition-/390596246973?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5af159bdbd"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collectable-7-Single-Rick-Astley-Never-Gonna-Give-You-Up-good-condition-/390596246973?pt=UK_Records&hash=item5af159bdbd[/url]

But I've been a good boy and emailed the details to: [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

I can only advise that if anyone else sees a 'Rick Copy' that they do the same. :)
[/quote]

In bizarre twist, I was checking the people directory at work, and we have Rick Copy, Richard Copy and Rick Cope.

I assume the last two are cheap knock-offs, but I'm wondering how best to deal with Rick Copy.

I am about to put a bass up for sale. With some clever cropping I think I have avoided the plums copyright claims.

[url="http://s30.photobucket.com/user/throwoff/media/somebass_zps3451763a.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='Hamster' timestamp='1369213528' post='2086253']...It may be much easier to make Basschat a totally 'Rickenbacker Free Zone' so the admins don't get any more bullish emails and live under constant threat of legal action.
[/quote]
Could you add R*****r to the profanity filter? ;)