Why become a member? ×

Posting images of Rickenbacker copies

Gust0o

From the rickys I have tried making a model with a lesser standard of quality won't be an option, my £150 squier jazz has a better neck and finger board finish than any proper rick I have ever tried (quite a few). As we all know a Cort factory built version would almost certainly end up better than its full fat version, sure the rick fans will dispute that but the majority of bass players I know would agree.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369488772' post='2089742']
In fact, if it does [i]anything[/i] it will publish the name ... in an "any publicity is good publicity" kinda way.
[/quote]
I've always put that quote alongside the Bill Shankly 'Life and Death' quote as firmly tongue in cheek and certainly not to be taken literally.

All I have to say is that when I was a nipper loads of people had Rickenbacker copies - indeed , there was only one lad anybody knew who had a real Rickenbacker that he had bought with an inheritance from his granny and he could play the intro to The Trees by Rush on it - and it never did us or Rickenbacker much harm that I could tell . Rickenbacker are not neccesarilly losing sales of new instruments to cheap copies . At best , the copies are effecting the secondhand market , but probably not even that . It could even be argued by marketing experts that a the cheap copies help create a culture of aspiration around Rickenbacker basses that ultimately leads to increased sales of the genuine instruments in the long term as the people who own the copies become able to purchase the real thing . It just like when I got an inflatable doll , it didn't stop me wanting to get myself a real woman as soon as I could . Not long now , I hope .

In a perverse way, I agree with JH, and what suprises me is that more manufacturers have not gone after the makers of copies from the far east. I wonder if because many have got into bed with oriental factories that it makes it difficult to protect their property. It's a shame JH can't differentiate between an individual selling a copy (an individual who given time may well buy the real thing) and a factory/importer/shop selling them new. He can't expect that those already made can cease to exist, but he can do his best to ensure no more are made. And if he persues the makers I would say good luck to him. I just wish he could cut some slack to the people who pay homage to the brand, while being short on the funds to get one. But, as I say, for a perverse reason, I feel like having a go on a Ricenbacker.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1369498361' post='2089852']
From the rickys I have tried making a model with a lesser standard of quality won't be an option, my £150 squier jazz has a better neck and finger board finish than any proper rick I have ever tried (quite a few). As we all know a Cort factory built version would almost certainly end up better than its full fat version, sure the rick fans will dispute that but the majority of bass players I know would agree.
[/quote]

The whole point of Rickenbackers is that they are not like other instruments, and to me that's an advantage. The world of bass guitars would be a dull and boring place if all we had to play were Fender-a-likes.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1369510206' post='2090028']
In a perverse way, I agree with JH, and what suprises me is that more manufacturers have not gone after the makers of copies from the far east.
[/quote]

I don't think things work like that in the far East.

My understanding is that it's pretty much a free market over there with letters from the US threatening legal action just being thrown in the bin as the authorities have no appetite to pursue, let alone prosecute, alleged copyright infringers.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1369515600' post='2090095']

My understanding is that it's pretty much a free market over there with letters from the US threatening legal action just being thrown in the bin as the authorities have no appetite to pursue, let alone prosecute, alleged copyright infringers.
[/quote]

I remember watching Top Gear a while ago, when they were in China, and Jezza was standing in a bunch of knock off gear (hat, scarf, jacket, phone) and then stood beside a quite obvious copy of a BMW X5, and said that BMW had tried to sue the company that made the copy, and basically what they got was "what are you on about? It's nothing like your car" and that was the end of it.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1369515600' post='2090095']
[/quote]

Indeed they don't.
Also, in China, when pressure upon a certain producer or exporter is felt or sensed, production is moved to an unknown place at lightning speed, often just a few miles away from the previous place, but maybe slightly more in the backland, and very hard to find for westerners trying to have an impact.

OAN:
Demmit! Where's Harriet?!?!?! :o :lol:

b,
b

Edited by BassTractor

If trade in vintage copies is doing harm to their business, then their action definitely has done a good half a dozen vintage copies worth of damage, because a guy who got annoyed by their attitude took up trade in vintage copies purely out of the need to express that annoyance, because they don't have much truck with copies as instruments, since they are copying a fundamentally duff instrument,

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1369516349' post='2090104']
If trade in vintage copies is doing harm to their business, then their action definitely has done a good half a dozen vintage copies worth of damage, because a guy who got annoyed by their attitude took up trade in vintage copies purely out of the need to express that annoyance, because they don't have much truck with copies as instruments, since they are copying a fundamentally duff instrument,
[/quote]

Is this one of those "I have a friend, and he has a bit of a problem" kind of things? (i.e. It's you) :D

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369473371' post='2089545']
The man is doing the right thing.
[/quote]

If threatening, bullying, and attempting to spread misinformation (about the legality of private individuals selling 2nd/3rd/4th hand rick-style basses in the UK) then maybe he is doing the right thing. I and many others are utterly unconvinced. I [i]almost [/i]pity the man.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369510995' post='2090040']

The whole point of Rickenbackers is that they are not like other instruments, and to me that's an advantage. The world of bass guitars would be a dull and boring place if all we had to play were Fender-a-likes.
[/quote]
I know what your saying and my do they look cool but all the ones I have tried had poorly fitting finger boards, neck dive issues and sharp poorly finished hardware, the body edge digs into my arm and the pup cover limits playability, all that combined is why I don't own one. I love Gibson thunderbirds but I have never got a sound I felt useable for what I do out of one so I have never bought one of them either :)

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1369473371' post='2089545']
Suggesting the basschat would have an effect on Ric sales is a version of some alternative reality. It's a trivial forum that people read - that's all.

The man is doing the right thing. I applaud him. You know, I thought we generally frowned on counterfeit goods as a nation - but apparently not when we have a vested interest.
[/quote]

Now when did I suggest that? The salesman made a statement about RIC sales and I, in this reality, merely pondered why. When did I suggest that slack RIC sales in Edinburgh were down to a thread on Basschat? C'mon!!

The counterfeit issue is secondary to John Hall's bullying, which is the main thrust of this thread. I could only [u][i]dream[/i][/u] that his company's sales dry up in the UK because of this thread!

Could I ask a question ? Am I to understand that it is prohibited to post an image of any bass that looks like a Rickenbacker that isn't a Rickenbacker ? Or does the ban only apply to basses trying to pass themselves off as Rickenbacker copies ? I've got pictures of a couple of ( loosley ) Rickenbacker - inspired basses that I think folks would like to see and I would like to post them to see what people think . Am I "allowed " to do it ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1369555990' post='2090320']
Now when did I suggest that? The salesman made a statement about RIC sales and I, in this reality, merely pondered why. When did I suggest that slack RIC sales in Edinburgh were down to a thread on Basschat? C'mon!!

The counterfeit issue is secondary to John Hall's bullying, which is the main thrust of this thread. I could only [u][i]dream[/i][/u] that his company's sales dry up in the UK because of this thread!
[/quote]

That's what I inferred from your your post. But if you say that's not what you meant - then I'm happy.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1369581598' post='2090567']
There was a post a few pages back saying that as long as it's not for sale it's OK
[/quote]

O.K , thanks , I must have missed that . I only mean to say that I had wondered more than once why no one seems to make boutique versions of Rickenbackers made "properly " , like Sadowsky and Lakland and many others make their own interpretations of Fender and Musicman basses . If this fellow at Rickenbacker is pusuing such an agressive policy on copyright then that might explain it . I can only remember seeing a couple of examples , miost notably this rather beautiful French creation made by Paul Lairat :

Also of note is this bass ( and something tells me BRX might like this one ) built by German luthier Frank M Weber :

This unique [url="http://www.ebay.fr/itm/160985740104"]FMW bass[/url] by Berlin luthier [b]Frank M. Weber[/b] is quite a stunner. It's obviously based around the Rickenbacker 4000 series basses, is of walnut and maple through-neck construction with see-through luctite body wings. The body is equipped with 8 white LEDs to illuminate the see-through sections. It also has LED position markers mounted into the top edge of the ebony fingerboard. Pickups are "Harry Häussel" Bass Bars.

It seems obvious to me that the Rickenbacker bass design is ripe to be plundered and redesigned for bass players in the 21st Century . They look and sound fantastic but the playability leaves a lot to be desired for most people . A boutique Rick would be a sure - fire hit .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1369685267' post='2091672']
Another bit of happy irony is that I expect a fair few people are trying to sell their fakers to put the money towards a real deal Ric. They won't be able to buy one now. Nice own goal. :)
[/quote]

I'm sure JH and his legal team will have thought their way out if that particular paper bag.