Why become a member? ×

AAARRGH - Just had the worst audition in my life!

thunderbird13

Local band wanted a double bass player and as I've been learning for a few months I thought I'd push myself to see what would happen . I was assured that there were not looking for anything special so I rocked up today . As soon as I met then I wasnt sure the drummer/ singer was OK but the guitarist just stared at the ground and didnt even say hello :rolleyes:

Then the drummer/singer starts doing the paperwork announcing that he will be scoring me for each song and recording it to listen to afterwards . If I wasnt nervous beforehand I certainly was and it showed , I played the first song , timing all over the place, second song forgot the main riff , third song played it in a different key all the way through :lol:

Then the guitarist complains that he cannot hear me ( I'm playing with gut strings ) and suggest that I use an old Kay SG copy TBH I was much more comfortable playing this but by that stage all I wanted to do was leave so I played one more song on their set and left.

Pretty sure they wont offer me the gig :lol: and TBH I'm not that fussed , they didnt seem to have many gigs booked and the singing wasnt that special but that will go down in my mind as one of the worst auditions

BTW its totally cool I wasnt expecting to get the gig I just wanted the extra practice in a full band situation :) :)

Well done to you for having the bottle to go for it; now just chalk that one down to experience and move on. ;)

I genuinely believe that even the worst rehearsals/auditions teach us something (if it doesn't you won't be on the music scene very long :lol: ) and nothing moves your playing on quicker than the thought that you don't want another of 'those' auditions again. :D

Been there! To be honest though, as soon as one member of a band I'm auditioning for shows themselves to be a complete and utter f@nny, I'm generally the one to pull the plug. Got no interest at all in playing along with egos....

Edited by lou24d53

Not being funny but they sound like a bunch of dicks. Anyone with arrogance to take the opportunity to score you on a piece of paper and record you (for whatever benefit) after you've been assured that it was meant to be light-hearted audition I'd be steering very well clear of. Think of it less that you've cocked up and more like you've dodged a bullet. And nice one for plucking up the courage to do something outside your comfort zone, onwards and upwards.

Didn't sound like the friendliest bunch. I'll soon be trying out a couple of singers for our band and I'll be trying to make them feel as welcome and relaxed as possible so they can do their best. What's the point in making it difficult when you're looking for someone? Auditions work both ways after all.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1367169703' post='2062074']
Well done to you for having the bottle to go for it; now just chalk that one down to experience and move on. ;)

[/quote]
+many!

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1367168306' post='2062037']

Then the drummer/singer starts doing the paperwork announcing that he will be scoring me for each song and recording it to listen to afterwards .

[/quote]You might want to do this, but you don't tell the person auditioning unless you're a complete egotistical tool. I would've walked then and there, kudos to you for seeing it through.

Real musicians would not of found a piece of paper or a pen between them anyway :D

+1 on having a go though, its only a matter of time before I have to take the plunge for some DB gigs and any confidence I have in my electric bass skills will be lost on DB :(

Also you never know with these things they might want you after they see the others and turn out to be less of a bunch of cocks than they sound but just wanted to see if you would crack or not?

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1367168306' post='2062037']

Local band

[...]

starts doing the paperwork announcing that he will be scoring me for each song and recording it

[/quote]

Never EVER be in a band like that. Are they the Miles Davis Quintet?

I took a job once under similar circumstances. Never ever again.

Kudos for trying. Congrats on escaping.

best,
bert

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1367169977' post='2062082']
Not being funny but they sound like a bunch of dicks. Anyone with arrogance to take the opportunity to score you on a piece of paper and record you (for whatever benefit) after you've been assured that it was meant to be light-hearted audition I'd be steering very well clear of. Think of it less that you've cocked up and more like you've dodged a bullet. And nice one for plucking up the courage to do something outside your comfort zone, onwards and upwards.
[/quote]
+1

Sorry it didn't go well :(

I had an audition on Friday and told them that I would be bringing recording equipment to record us BOTH.... Think that surprised them, but they thought it was a good idea.

But in all honestly, scoring you on each song sat there with a pen and paper.... What a bunch of dicks!

It sounded like it went alright for you if you just take the positives.You went for the experience, which you got.You probably learnt more from that, than if it went reasonably smoothly.plus you avoided what could have been a big mistake and got the gig

Edited by timmo

I don't see what the problem is. From the sound of things you wouldn't want to be in a band with these people anyway, so the fact that from a playing PoV it didn't go too well doesn't really matter. You know what you need to do in order to impress when you do get to play with a band that isn't made up of idiots. So other than loosing a few hours of your time, that's it.

Plus what musicians need to score an auditionee? Every time I've been involved with trying out new musicians for existing bands it's been obvious by the time we've got to the end of the first song whether they are going to be suitable or not.

Sorry it didn't go well.
If someone can't make eye contact with you, then that's the first sign of a personality disorder.

Adding in the beurocracy of scoring you on paper for your performances?
Well, we all assess potential players one way or another when auditioning, just making a mental note of either that was good, or that wasn't. I've never seen anyone go to the length of putting people off like that and also recording auditions.

I'd certainly ask them for a copy if they've still got it, just to give them something to do. They sound like a set of tossers.

I always ask a band what happened to their old bassist. It's always good to see how they answer. If they get insulting behind his back, then you can probably expect the same behind yours and the band is a little club you may not wish to join.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1367169977' post='2062082']
[/quote]

I second that emotion.