Why become a member? ×

The Police

xilddx

I love Sting and the Police. He is often referred to as 'pretentious' but when you see what he's accomplished, the eclectic group of musicians with whom he has surrounded himself and learned, the travelling and work he's done, you realise it's quite unfair. In interviews he is humorous, self-deprecating but not afraid to be serious about certain issues. His albums of folk music or 16th century Dowland lute compositions opened me up to some new music for which I'm very grateful!

Fantastic bsnd! Seeing them play live on New Year's Eve 1981 in Edinburgh changed my life as a bass pkayer. The band were fantastic, and I still love them.

However, the big inspiration fir me was the young unknown bassist playing with the support band. Support act was Jools Holland just after he had left Squeeze. The bass player? Pino Palladino.

I've read all three of The Police members' autobiograohies, every one of them being great reads, with Andy Summers one being a particularly engrossing read.

can i post part two please? can i can i :P

[media]http://youtu.be/eRdFNPeHoI0[/media]

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366502182' post='2053373']
He plays and sings so naturally Jake, and what an ear for a song.
[/quote]

yes doesnt it just P you off peeps who can play AND sing so effortlessly :D

Edited by steve-bbb

Fantastic band, I though Ghost.....was a low spot album wise but all the others are brilliant. I recommend Andy Summers' One Train Later, great book by a truly innovative and massively talented guitarist.

I first heard the Police when I was a teenager in the early 90's. I can still remember, it was a live performance on American forces radio (I was in Germany) and they have been there in my Cd collection ever since. Great band & I don't think Sting is a Tool really.

I've never bought a Police album but I enjoy listening to them. I think stings bass lines are always appropriate. But, the thing that I feel uncomfortable about is the [i]"white guys playing music with a reggae feel"[/i] thing I'm afraid. Especially in the early days.....

Just my opinion :D

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1366535890' post='2053547']
I've never bought a Police album but I enjoy listening to them. I think stings bass lines are always appropriate.
[/quote]

IMO opinion this is the best way to enjoy their music. If you were to buy the albums you'd find that there's an awful lot of filler on them.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1366535890' post='2053547']
But, the thing that I feel uncomfortable about is the [i]"white guys playing music with a reggae feel"[/i] thing I'm afraid. Especially in the early days.....

Just my opinion :D
[/quote]

Might be why the second album (? Vague memory) is called "Regatta de Blanc" (White Reggae!)

Maybe a little bit of tongue-in-cheek self-awareness going on there? ;)

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

They are brilliant , as is lot of the work they did after, I don't think too much about his personal life, if I did that I'd not listen to alot of my favourite bands or enjoy watching some football teams.

Fav track is Bombs Away !

Edit, just remembered I got beaten up aged 12 for wearing a police badge, other kids couldn't understand that I liked music outside the expected.

Edited by lojo

Great band , although i thought some of the early stuff was hit and miss, or as someone above said 'Album fillers'.
Loved Sting when he started introducing the Middle Eastern influences into his writing.

All three of the Police band were top writers, who all made the mark elsewhere with various stuff.

Garry

I like the Police , too . They were a very original band comprising of three unique musicians , each of whom brought a lot to the party . I would describe Sting's bass parts in the Police as a compositional bass playing , in so much as his parts are carefully thought and and structured to be integral to those songs . He has got a knack for playing things that are so simple and so obvious that only a genius would ever think of playing them , and I mean that as a compliment of the highest order .