Why become a member? ×

I just don't know what I want.

Evil Undead

I would add another vote for the Fender P-Lyte.

Very light-weight, contoured body and the skinniest neck I've ever played. Mine's in storage at the moment, so I can't check, but don't ever recall neck dive being an issue. If you were anywhere near Edinburgh you would be more than welcome to have a tryout on my one, and they seem to come up fairly regularly in the sale forum.

I saw someone mentioned angled necks earlier. I certainly find this makes a difference to the amount of left wrist bending involved when jumping between my Gibson and Fender guitars, so might be worth looking into. I'm afraid I don't know enough about bass construction to suggest any specific ones but I'm sure someone else can.

Edited by richardjmorgan

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1363818000' post='2018261']
What sort of treatments have you tried for your problems? Ever heard or tried The Alexander Technique? It focuses on all the problems you list as it helps to strengthen the core muscles as well as promoting ease of movement and efficiency rather than getting tense and complicating your movements. It might be something worth looking at! I've looked but alas I can't fund it being unemployed currently.
[/quote]

I too am too skint to afford a proper alexander teacher. I read all about it on t'interweb, and then pretty much applied what I read to how I move etc. and already have some benefits (if you'll excuse the awful pun :) )
Worth a go, and costs nothing.

Short scale.

I've got an Ibby and neck length, for me, would be more of an issue that nut width etc. I also own a p bass and I've got rubbish hands but don't have a problem with it. Ok, it's easier to do fast fills etc on the Ibby but still, the P is still very playable for someone with all the dexterity of an elephant.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1363812980' post='2018171']
What about the Precision Lyte is certainly fits all of you criteria weight and size wise it's not too expensive, you can, as many do, upgrade the pre amp (but I love mine just the way it is) and you can get them in some decent colours unlike mine horrid tobacco burst should that 1970's disco feel not appeal to you
[/quote]

That was going to be my suggestion as well. Seems fair mel, you know you like Fenders, the neck is slimmer than a regular Precision, and yes, they are reasonably priced too - you`ll have change from your US Standard.

Or, Fender Deluxe Jazz. I`ve just got hold of one - and there`s another for sale on here. Great bass, fits all your criteria, and, being active, the amount of sounds available is amazing. Slightly smaller body & headstock than a regular Jazz, so helps with the weight - it`s my lightest bass.

Edited by Lozz196

Just a thought but have you tried out Peavey gear? I sold on my Millenium BXP because the neck was too thin for me but with a new price of £110 quid it was a great little bass. Pretty too...

Obviously look higher up their scale if you can etc..

Well I'm going to go down a slightly different route. :)

It seems pretty obvious to me that the course of action most likely to provide the best chance of not investing in another unsuitable bass would be to get the underlying health issues out of the way.

Until that's sorted out I have a terrible vision of a house full of expensive discarded compromises...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1363813249' post='2018180']
Paul Rose/Prose bass/Funn bass was focusing on making small light short scale basses at the end - not expensive either.
[/quote]
[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1363867925' post='2018601']
I used to have a fanned fret shortscale made by prosebass originally. It was teeny yet sounded immense due to the pickups in it, maybe fanned fret would help you ? Wasn't all that expensive
[/quote]

I was going to suggest Prose/Funn bass too. It seems that he is no longer making basses (he is a member on here too) but a few of his (rather funky) creations have come up on here second hand. Prices are very reasonable.

[url="http://funnbass.wordpress.com/"]http://funnbass.wordpress.com/[/url]

Otherwise, I was going to suggest a Fender Geddy Lee J bass. Not heavy (IMO), great slim neck, easy to get a low action, and still capable of a range of great sounds. Easy to pick one up second hand for around £450-500 too.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1363872739' post='2018694']
Does anyone know of a decent place I can go to try out a few basses, and make a purchase if I find one I like? I'd like to take my own strap.

Somewhere accessible by train would be great.

I have a budget of MAX £700
[/quote]

Wunjos (Bass Shop) on Denmark Street are full of very helpful people.... if you fancy a trip South. Might be worth giving them a call first to see what stock they have in (but hey do normally have lots of stuff... but no new Gibsons though if that's a consideration).

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1363810152' post='2018089']
And finally, a previously torn and ill-repaired ligament in my left wrist means I have pain when playing anything below 3rd fret.
[/quote]

I would deliberately avoid playing that low, then. With a bit of creativity you can rework your basslines etc so that you don't need to play down there.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1363877867' post='2018793']

It seems pretty obvious to me that the course of action most likely to provide the best chance of not investing in another unsuitable bass would be to get the underlying health issues out of the way.

Until that's sorted out I have a terrible vision of a house full of expensive discarded compromises...
[/quote]

I have to agree with that.

[/quote]

That could take years, though.

I would go short scale - there are lots of options.

I would particualrly recommend a Musicmaster bass - I have just recently got one. It is lightweight, skinny neck, no neck dive. Sounds like a Fender. And, as old Fenders go, they are affordable. Squier do a decent array of Bronco/Mustang etc - you could get one of those secondhand for very little outlay to see if you liked it. If you did then upgrade to the Fender model, if not move it on for only a small loss. Broncos, especially, go for little more than loose change.

Danelectro do a host of ubercool lightweight short scale basses - worth having a look through what they have to offer?

Depending on your budget you could always get someone like Jon Shuker to build you a bass to your spec.

It doesn't have to costs thousands...as Jon told me it's once you start getting into fancy finished and stuff that then price goes skywards but a simple small bodied j or p bass or even his longhorn might just be right.

You could get a slightly chambered body to reduce the weight

The double carbon fibre reinforced truss rod means that your action can be set dead low with no worries about it moving.

Mine has the most stable neck I've played this side of a status or a zon

I hope something finds it way to you soon that fits the bill...

Just a thought

[/quote]

I understand what you're saying, honestly.

I'm very aware of my own body and what it's telling me, and I know that if I continue to play an uncomfortable instrument, or one that's causing me pain, then the road to recovery is not going to get any shorter no matter how I tackle any underlying issues.

I'm going to recommend Jon Letts again, probably with a shorter scale (31" ish?) a single pickup passive bass is within your budget and he can build it to suit your needs. they really are the lightest basses i've come across. if you're lucky he might offer another set of basses at cost price (i believe the 4 string one was 400 quid on the last offer!)

here's a link to the deluxe 4 string that he's got up for sale now, bear in mind that this one has added gold bling and a 3 band aggie preamp, so if you went for a more subdued spec it would be cheaper.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176511-lettsbasses/page__view__findpost__p__1923339

matt

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1363812555' post='2018164']
Hofner BeatleBass? I've got the budget version and its nice and light, short scale and sounds great. Pretty cheap from Thomann too...
[/quote]yup i got one of these , they are light but mine does have a bit of neck dive.. Not sure if the Macca does something with his strap?

Edited by rogerstodge

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1363810152' post='2018089']
Urgh. I'm getting so tired of all this. Due to my various physical limitations, I must have tried nearly 30 basses over the past 4 years, and I think I'm no closer to finding what I actually want.

It's not tone that's the problem - basically every bass I play sounds like me playing it.

But comfort wise, I'm really having trouble.

I've got a totally knackered back, meaning any bass over 8.5lbs is a total no-go.
My hands are small so I'm having trouble with the neck of my P.
Shoulder is a bit dodgy so anything that neck dives is out.
Great big cyst in my right wrist joint and subsequent issues with bending it makes slab bodies out.
Recurring tendonitis, means my action needs to be less than 2mm with a dead straight neck.
And finally, a previously torn and ill-repaired ligament in my left wrist means I have pain when playing anything below 3rd fret.

I'm just about ready to throw in the towel and sell everything up, but before I do, does anyone have any ideas what basses I could try that might suit me?
[/quote]

This has been said, but try looking here: http://www.voxshowroom.com/northcoast/shopping/index.htm The Hofner China-made violin bass and club bass are around $850, short-scale, light weight. (The German-made versions are three times as expensive.) This is about as small and light as you will find. North Coast Music is in USA, but the owner is personable and responsive. I'd give him a try. Good luck!

W.

There are loads of very light, ergonomic basses with slim necks (width and depth).
Eg my Peavey Millenium AC is featherweight, the strap button is at about the 13th fret which makes reaching the lowest frets easy and balance on the strap perfect. Neck is smaller than a jazz. Playing a Fender or similar afterwards feels like a massive step backwards.