Why become a member? ×

I want a P bass shocker!

Dread Bass

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1362097948' post='1995926']
someone hit me around the head with a P bass that impresses me!! I want to be impressed but......:OL

Had a decently playable Squier P/J, put some Dimarzio's on it....it was just loud and BOOMY!!! Awful.

I want one ( Scott Divine does a great job of dangling the carrot) but yet to find love
[/quote]

A P/J ain't a P...

A great P tone?

Where to start... how about here, courtesy of Bob Babbitt?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfQG1Ud6wT8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfQG1Ud6wT8[/url]

Dread Bass, I can see from your sig that you own a few basses, the honest thing to do would be to add a P bass to that collection. I don't think you'd be disappointed because it would add a completely different kind of thing to your collection.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1362128441' post='1996021']
That ain't no Bob Babbitt unless he changed ethnicity!
[/quote]

I think that was Pierre Brock on the live clip.
Babbitt did the studio version as far as I know.

edit as a PS, that's the kind of P bass sound I'm after :)

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1362129288' post='1996044']
I think that was Pierre Brock on the live clip.
Babbitt did the studio version as far as I know.
[/quote]

Yep. Here's Pierre on another vid of the same tune.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCHFaarTjY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCHFaarTjY[/url]

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1362089578' post='1995759']
Seriously, P-Basses do it far more for me than anything else nowadays. You get a totally fundamental bass sound that can be used on any kind of recording and at any kind of gig. Have all the custom ACGs you want but nothing sounds like a P-Bass other than a P-Bass, there is a reason for their success.
[/quote]

I can make my ACG sound almost identical to my P bass :D :P

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1362088968' post='1995743']
Haha. I really don't like the way they look, or the chunky necks or the number of frets, or the headstock or even the way they sound most of the time. Yet I am having to fight not to order one. I am agog.
[/quote]

They don't all have chunky necks. My CIJ is easily the most comfortable neck I've played - wide, yes, but very shallow. My Warmoth P is very chunky though.

The P bass for me is a strange instrument. I have bought far too many over the years but I get bored with them quickly and move them on.

But then I get GAS for one and end up splashing the cash for another P. I think it`s a good bass to have as you just plug it in and the sound is there, no messing about. So I have come to the conclusion, I will always have one kicking about to keep GAS at bay, even a cheapie.

I just bought a '93 MIJ Silver Series Squier P. bass. Weighs just 8.5lbs, the neck is 40mm at the nut and shallow - I love jazz necks as a rule but this is awesome. I've been able to take the action down *really* low - one of the best necks I have ever laid hands on. Best of all the tone, straight out of the case, is amazing. It has a certain P. Bass quality that no other P.Bass I have played has had. Cost me £200 and probably the best £200 I have ever spent.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1362089578' post='1995759']
You get a totally fundamental bass sound that can be used on any kind of recording and at any kind of gig.
[/quote]

Funny thing is I needed a guitarist to be reminded of that before buying my first bass. Got all sorts of advice from the bassists on an e-mail list, but a guitarist told me to trust him on exactly that aspect, and get me a second hand Precision.
As I couldn't find one within my budget, I eventually went for the Corvette, but later learnt off BC that the guitarist had been right - not that the Corvette is not great in its own right.

Dread Bass, I dunno whether others have specified, but on BC the Fender Roadworns have been said to be very good basses, and also the Fender American Vintage series. I understand also the Squier Matt Freeman is very good, as are the almost famous Squier Classic Vibes.

Good luck!

best,
bert

I am in exactly the same boat, I love active basses and multiple pickups so I have a huge range of tones at my disposal. I also love nice small clean amp heads and powerful clear cabs (I have EBS rig) and have always loved having a punchy modern tone.

So I am a couple of months off turning 30, I have a mortgage, a dog, a sensible (but enjoyable) job, for some un-godly reason my body has decided to grow lenghty nose hair and now to top it all off now I want a relic Precision (preferably a Pino) and today I did something i never thought I would do.......I was looking at valve amps and specifically Ampeg and Orange. I think this its all linked, im getting to about vintage age (im sure someone said 30 year old basses are classed as vintage) and I have started to crave vintage gear.

No offense to anyone who uses Precisions and valve amps, I just never thought I would want either and now I am really trying to hold bak on the credit card because they do sound so good.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1362095182' post='1995890']
The last Precision I had was in the 70s - an Aria PB that I stupidly sold to get a Wal.

I'm now looking at an 80s Tokai Hardpuncher to feed my P bass gas.
[/quote]

Kind of related, I had a 1973 black/black/maple Fender P was my first 'proper' bass, it was s/h, around 6 years old at the time. I traded it in for a then new Aria SB a couple of years later. Could only afford the SB600 model. It was a good decision at the time, wouldn't be now though.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1362088847' post='1995738']
P-bass love gets to every bass player eventually...
[/quote]

Yep, believe it or, I'm also thinking I'm starting to GAS for a Precision too and I'm such a Warwick lover. But I'm also convinced I'd get bored to death with it very quickly.