Why become a member? ×

Gigging when pi$$ed

paulconnolly

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1358678711' post='1943066']
Cheers Myke. Not an experience I'd want to go through again, but as someone one said 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger'. Or something.
[/quote]

Just want to clear this up so there is no misunderstanding, I laughed at the way it was written and not what actually happened.. If you understand that.. :P

in my youth I played drunk and sober. No noticeable difference according to the video and recordings.

Of course the term 'drunk' is open to interpretation. I've never been legless or incapable.

These days I like to have a few beers as I like to drink ale. Over the course of 4 hours or so I'll have 3 or maybe 4.

I'm not a big drinker, maybe a pint or two over a whole evening but more likely a few glasses of wine.

Unfortunately, this means I frequently find myself in circumstances where the people around me have been seriously drinking all evening. I say 'unfortunately' because I can think of few things less entertaining that chatting with (or more usually being chatted to) pissed up and barely coherent people who are usually taking nonsense.

Fortunately, they usually can't remember what arses they've been the night before and I'm too gentlemenly to remind them, so all is well.

Last year I was in a band with a borderline alcoholic singer. It was utterly miserable.

There is nothing like having a structured and agreed set list ignored because the singer has nearly drunk your fee by the second half and sets off in autopilot doing exactly what he has done for the last five years, followed by pissed up nonsensical arguments in the van on the way home.

The last show I did with them was such a debacle that I lost it and yelled at the singer outside for 10 minutes afterwards about it. He said it was great cos people clapped. The rest of us thought it was utter w*** and half the band are no longer there.

Now the singer has nobody to drive the van he has had to sober up. If only he had done that at the time.

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1358712536' post='1943937']
You lot are so not rock n roll! B)
We always drink when playing, and by the way dont have issues and are not bad musicians. We dont get pissed, just have a few as its also our night out. If its a wedding or function, we will be extra careful, but pub gigs are all about the craic! I did play really pished years ago and that was a disaster, but a few drinks definately settles our nerves and certainly, as the singer. I perform MUCH better after a few pints!
[/quote]
I took it that this thread was about getting wasted onstage as opposed to having a few or perhaps jut a pint or two

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1358677448' post='1943034']
I think it is unprofessional and disrespectful to both other bandmates and the people paying to see you. With my former 'party' band I've played gigs where either singer or drummer, luckily not both, were pissed and I spent the entire gig waiting for the next train crash - missed verses, coming in at the wrong place etc. It puts the whole band out and makes everyone look cheap.
[/quote]

Whilst I may periodically bemoan my chequered band history, it is to their eternal credit that none of my band mates (in any band) have ever got on stage with more than one drink inside them.
It does seem counter-productive to practise, buy nice gear, and invest time, effort and money rehearsing...
Just to undo all of that by consuming too much alcohol when you play live.

There are two types of drinking muso, and I have been both.
There are those who believe it is rock and roll to get utterly off their tits, and then believe they are the greatest musician to grace a stage.
Like Burrito says, video them. They will change their minds, I did.

And those of us who like a drink, and can tell when they're about to hit the "oh crap I can't see" level, and stop/slow down.

FWIW I changed to bass cos I thought it would be easier to play pissed than a guitar. I was right, to a point. :)

I am unfortunate enough to exist a couple of drinks below sober in my natural state (see Captain Vimes of the ANkh-Morpork City watch for more details on this phenomena).

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1358643717' post='1942861']
Only ever did it once. Here's the story: [url="http://bigplansforeverybody.blogspot.co.uk/p/part-six-worst-gig-ever-1-bolton.html"]http://bigplansforeverybody.blogspot.co.uk/p/part-six-worst-gig-ever-1-bolton.html[/url]
[/quote]

Priceless Rushbo! very funny, I've shared that, ta.

My tuppence, not me playing drunk but when I was doing the pa for a mates blues band, in a pub function room with a late bar, the guitarist was absolutely hammered. They played little red rooster & an almighty brawl started up between locals & some pikey types, stools being thrown, glasses smashed! Drummer, bassman & singer stop playing, & with myself try & defend pa from being weaponised whilst pissed guitard solos on mercilessly, oblivious to the carnage in front of him! Well scary at the time but funny now.

I must say, I enjoy having a cople of pints before a gig, but I know my limits. When I was younger, I regularly used to get blind drunk - it wasn't a nice feeling as you tend to start to enter that sober scenario half way through and generally feel like poo.

The singer and guitarist in my band are well, terrible drunks. It's really starting to grate on me recently how they can get so pissed and basically not give 2 s***s about the gig. Our guitarist can't remember songs we've been playing for years! If our singer isn't up for it, he gets hammered.

Sort of making me consider my position really. I don't invest money and time in good gear and practice to be made to look like a fool. This happened to anybody else?

[quote name='AnalogBomb' timestamp='1358767476' post='1944533']
Sort of making me consider my position really. I don't invest money and time in good gear and practice to be made to look like a fool. This happened to anybody else?
[/quote]

Yes, this has happened to me before. I quit, not completely because of this but it was a factor.

I used to play bass in a band where we took everything very seriously. We'd never drink before playing...

But when I started playing drums in The Premature Ejaculators it was all a lot less serious, and we would get wasted. Our first ever gig we had £50 behind the bar. During the 20 minutes it took to take my car home and get a taxi back, the lead singer had drank it all. No matter, I still got through 5 pints before we went on, then between the 4 of us we managed another couple of beers each, plus a whole bottle of sambuka. This was a 25 minute set.

We have it on video and it was seriously tight. The only bit that's obviously drunken is the guitarist struggling to tune up.

i have a pretty low alcohol limit, on a night out to the pub with my friends it's about 3 pints max, maybe 4 if it's my birthday. i once played a gig on guitar after a pint of beer and didn't enjoy it, i usually don't drink any alcohol before the first set but i'll often have a pint of real ale (max 4.5%) at half time, and our second set is designed to be easier to play and remember anyway so i'm usually ok.
our singer used to play drums in a blues band and i once witnessed him drink 12 cans of lager that his girlfriend had smuggled into the venue, he had them all poured into pint glasses and lined up on a windowsill behind a curtain right behind his kit, it didn't seem to affect his playing at all, luckily he's dried out a bit since then!

matt

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1358644908' post='1942870']
recipe for disaster...anyone who claims they play better as a result of it either has issues or is a crap musican.
[/quote]
The same people probably claim they are better drivers too when pissed!