Why become a member? ×

Your Musical Development since joining Basschat?

xilddx

How has it been?

Have you sunk or swum? Has your playing and musicality improved? Has your band done well? Have you joined bands you wouldn't have before? Have you started teaching? How's your confidence? Have you been inspired to push yourself? Have you taken Bilbo's advice and learned to read music notation? What has being an active member of Basschat helped you achieve?

I can say without a doubt that I'm a much better player and musician, and much more confident since joining Basschat about four and a half years ago. When I joined I felt like a guitarist playing bass. I was in one band, albeit a great one playing with the guys from Transglobal Underground in London Zulu, but I found Kit Richardson on here, got the job, and three and a half years later the band is doing well and I'm really proud of what we've achieved. Also, we found 51m0n who ended up mixing Kit's last EP and it sounds truly wonderful! I still play with London Zulu, and now also have a pro gig on guitar with sitarist Sheema Mukherjee which is a tricky gig, and I'm convinced the confidence and knowledge I got since joining BC helped me tackle the prospect of playing with such a demanding musician and composer. I have tried and failed to learn to read music, through apathy and lack of real need, but I am teaching myself piano now so I may well end up learning treble and bass clefs, I have already started :)

I truly have benefitted from being a Basschat member in terms of technical knowledge of music and my equipment, gained much confidence, and found my main band. I am a much better musician and player because of the help, knowledge and sense of community on here.

What about you?

Edited by silddx

I fully agree. I've been playing bass for over 14 years, and I've learnt more in my short time on BC. Biggest achievement was to start to learn to read notation. I've no reason whatsover to learn except for my own personal development. Can safely say I wouldn't have bothered but for the discussions I've seen here.

While I don't agree with everything that's said here, BC never seems to descend into the slagging matches that you see elsewhere.

sh*te. I spent all time being a moron or arguing. And when I wasn't doing those things I was in For Sale.

Thankfully, osmosis is a proven concept. Albeit for fluids and gases, thus proving the complex nature of knowledge, as it penetrated even my dense head.

Confidence is up. Knowledge of my equipment is up (I even built a bass on the Shuker course, after reading about it on BC). My technique has improved, although I have limited myself - some of you are superb players, and it can be daunting; thus it's sometime easier to accept limits, and I've probably been a little too accepting.

It's a slow process, if you're not here looking for specific help; you learn something new every week, and it all adds up. Thanks BC :)

Great idea for a thread Nigel.
When I first joined BC I was a complete beginner. Now I'm in a band. OK it's a somewhat ropey band but it's a start.
If this thread is still going on Monday when I have access to a PC I'll make a more fullsome reply. (Right now I'm on my phone which is a bit fiddly).

But I will say that one of the most helpful things was you personally encouraging me to attend the SE bass bash in 2011.!

I stumbled across Basschat while I was doing research into getting a good overdrive sound. I went from a Bass - Lead - Amp guy, to having a pedalboard and wireless kit too! I've also sold one bass, bought two, and even replaced the pickups in one of them! The only thing that's never changed is my amp and cab, but I've nearly succumbed to GAS in that area a few times!

I know a HELL of a lot more about the equipment I use, and how to get many more usable sounds. I think I've become a little better at playing tastefully too but that's debatable!

I signed up to sell a pedal I had and never used. Thought I should stick around.

I think the main thing that's affected me is that I've opened my ears to a load of different stuff. Like listening to funk, and jazz stuff and learning who Jaco is and so on. It's been good - I guess that has all effected my playing a massive amount but it's mainly through exposure to music rather than concerted learning.

I've also become a bit of a bass geek. I own gear that I wouldn't have thought possible, at affordable prices due to the marketplace, I've chatted to some cool folk. I've built two bitsas, I'm not even going to count how many basses have gone through my hands, I learnt to build effects pedals, I can set up and sort my friends instruments, and nicely... I've owned pretty much every bass I want to and expelled the GAS!*

*almost, it's not GAS, but I wouldn't mind trying a stingray.

My musical development since joining Basschat has been MASSIVE! Seriously.

I stumbled upon this site two years ago and got some great advice on buying my first 'new' bass following nearly a 10 year haitus in playing/recording. I was really struck by the friendly vibe and people here - I felt among 'mates' right from the start - and it was just damn refreshing to find a music forum that wasn't populated by egotistical d*ckheads (I'm convinced that bass players are an inherently friendly bunch… I think it's a product of the instrument itself and not craving the spotlight… but that's another topic).

Since joining I've:

- Managed my first successful de-fretting project
- Have begun learning the basics of notation and reading (still slow going, but I'm in no rush)
- Have grown sufficient balls to start singing and songwriting
- Have more than doubled my musical output (thanks to Charic for setting up the monthly challenges!)
- Have become slightly poorer (cheers to Dan Owens for the Morley Wah and Wooks for the OC-2 pedals!)
- And I've been hugely inspired and humbled by some of the talent found on here - too many people to mention, but I owe thanks to the likes of Urb [Mike Flynn], Bilbo [Rob Palmer], Silddx [Nigel Dale], Captain Bass [Andy Saxton], Patherairsoft [Shep] and so many others for opening my ears to new stuff and inspiring me to practice till my fingers blister. You guys rock.

So yeah. I'd say it's been pivotal in my musical development. And cheers to that! :drinks:

After discussing my issues on here, I got the loan of a double bass (Jake Newman) which has resulted in me starting my own trio and writing my own material. I have heard loads of new stuff, heard some players I did not know, met some people, bought and sold some gear, and aired some villainy. Marvellous!

I've learned a lot gear wise but not really playing wise as I don't practice at home unless its to learn a new song.

I've had a lot of good times and a lot of laughs on here but I think the biggest recent thing for me was seeing the thread on the Precision Bass FSR which prompted me try one out and buy it

Definitely has affected my playing (in a good way) since joining BC almost a year ago. I'm now even studying Music theory and loving it.

Also I find it really great to communicate with other like minded people and have a laugh and a bit of banter whilst learning something from someone.

I am (I hope) a better player than I was five years ago (or even longer, if you include Bassworld). I'm doing better gigs, too.

That said, Basschat's sole contribution, apart from making BC friends, has been to reduce my bank balance.

It hasn't inspired me to learn to read, explore Jazz or build a bass out of milk bottle tops.

I do love the 'ol place, though.

Since joining BC, i've learnt a hell of a lot more about my gear and how to handle my playing both on and off stage, as well as starting to properly play guitar, which has opened my eyes and expanded my musical abilities quite a lot. I've also gotten into effects and various other things on here, including photography, which all decrease my bank balance on a regular occasion. The last really useful thing, is i now try to my own setups after someone posted a setup guide on here that i now use.

Liam

I have saved about £1500 from purchasing nearly perfect but used gear of fellow BC'ers.

This time last year I was playing bass through a 15w practice (Guitar) amp.

Tommorrow evening I will be using the gear in my sig to play pub rock in a medium sized local club with a drummer, 2x guitarists, and a vocalist, using a confidence aquired by reading threads on here. I am far from competent, but having a blast.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357868764' post='1929934']
My musical development since joining Basschat has been MASSIVE! Seriously.

I stumbled upon this site two years ago and got some great advice on buying my first 'new' bass following nearly a 10 year haitus in playing/recording. I was really struck by the friendly vibe and people here - I felt among 'mates' right from the start - and it was just damn refreshing to find a music forum that wasn't populated by egotistical d*ckheads (I'm convinced that bass players are an inherently friendly bunch… I think it's a product of the instrument itself and not craving the spotlight… but that's another topic).

Since joining I've:

- Managed my first successful de-fretting project
- Have begun learning the basics of notation and reading (still slow going, but I'm in no rush)
- Have grown sufficient balls to start singing and songwriting
- Have more than doubled my musical output (thanks to Charic for setting up the monthly challenges!)
- Have become slightly poorer (cheers to Dan Owens for the Morley Wah and Wooks for the OC-2 pedals!)
- And I've been hugely inspired and humbled by some of the talent found on here - too many people to mention, but I owe thanks to the likes of Urb [Mike Flynn], Bilbo [Rob Palmer], Silddx [Nigel Dale], Captain Bass [Andy Saxton], Patherairsoft [Shep] and so many others for opening my ears to new stuff and inspiring me to practice till my fingers blister. You guys rock.

So yeah. I'd say it's been pivotal in my musical development. And cheers to that! :drinks:
[/quote]

Thanks very much. If you don't mind, I'm going to post that on our FB page...because...f*** it all, we sometimes need to celebrate the things we do well and derive some job satisfaction.

I've probably actually got worse in the last couple of years (or I'm just listening to myself more) in terms of playing complex lines. However I feel I'm playing simpler lines better. This years job is to get the complexity back without sacrificing any technique.

Any suggestions welcome, I'm particularly focusing on complex bass runs and overall left hand speed.

Symphony X and Dream Theater lines are my target.

Not so much basschat per se but going to the original bassworld meetings in Northampton (seems a long time ago now) and seeing the likes of Dood made me realise how pisspoor a player I was and I needed to take it up a notch or three. Unfortunately I'd also got to a point where I didn't really expect to improve much more and this has sadly proved to be the case. Still managed to be in gigging bands on a reasonably regular basis so maybe encouragement from the basschat bretherin has its own value irrespective of a player's shortcomings!

Basschat (amongst other things) has dragged me from the nice comfortable bubble I inhabited for many years, where I thought people (band members/punters) cared about and took notice of my playing and that it actually meant something, to the realisation that none of that is true. So, err, thanks... I think.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1357894859' post='1930055']Thanks very much. If you don't mind, I'm going to post that on our FB page...because...f*** it all, we sometimes need to celebrate the things we do well and derive some job satisfaction.[/quote]

You're welcome, Kiwi! :)