Why become a member? ×

Those of you who play in covers bands on the pub scene help!

cocco

Just after any advice really. I've been in bands all my life but always original material so the covers scene is new to me. Obviously we're talking longer sets and venues that aren't designed for bands. Am I going to struggle playing for 2 hours with a heavy old T-40? Is my 8x10 going to be too big/much?

I've seen covers acts with 8x10s but to be honest it is overkill and I wouldn't want to lug it around.

New Years Eve we played for over 3 hours and my neck was in a lot of pain the next day, but I normally I'm ok so I figure a wide, padded strap and you'll be fine.

I have a 2 10 and a 1 15, so I can use one or both. I favour my 2 10 as its smaller and easier to carry.

The scene around here wants 2 x 45 min sets, but I suppose it varies where you play.

All that said, we haven't done a proper gig yet :P Keep getting scuppered by band member serious illness! (Cancer then another needing a heart bypass)

Edit, just notice you are Cardiff, so yeah 2 45min sets is standard.

Edited by SpaceChick

I've found kit with smaller dimensions to be so much better for the pub scene. Getting gear in and out of most pubs can be a total pain, the combination of doors, corridors and drunken twats always standing right in the place that makes it most difficult to pass. :angry:

8 x 10's are good for frightening the landlord though :happy:

2 x 45mins is fairly standard for many clubs and pubs around my way. Occasionally we get asked for 2 x 30 mins plus a 45min last spot.
Agree with above 2 x 12 or 1 x 15 either singly or together will accommodate most needs (and spaces). If I think I'm going to get an extra long set I use the Status instead of the Fenders to save my shoulder!

We do a straight 2 hours. Is not a problem but you know you've played that night when u get home. I love the show not the packing up etc so we're all happy to play that long. Landlords like it too as it helps keep customers in rather than have a break and risking letting em go to the next pub. I used to use an 8x10. Lovely but way too big for most places we played. Orange terror bass for me now - much easier on the back! My advice - little powerful rig, decent strap. You'll be happy. Andy

I've certainly played some long covers gigs, 2 x 1hr sets plus another 20 mins used to be standard.

Racked up some 3 hour sets on several occasions. Wouldn't want a monster heavy bass but if you're used to it you might be OK.

Never needed an 8x10 even for the biggest stages. Anything that large I've always had PA support.

Our cover band did 2 x 1 hour sets so that we didn't get too worn out (drummers always complaining). My bass rig was a 4x10 usually but sometimes a 2x10 + 1x15 when we had enough extra room in the cars. I would never have taken an 8x10, mainly because it would dwarf the rest of the band's equipment and too difficult too transport

Usually do about 60 mins first set and second is 1 hr 15 scheduled (but usually an extra 15 mins if people are rocking). Using a couple of 2x12 cabs and 500 watt heads playing everything from little pubs stuffed in a corner to big social clubs.
I find the adrenaline overcomes the weight of the bass on most nights!

Usually 2 x 1hrs with a 15 to 30 min break. 2nd half usually extends a little though with encores.

Gear? The 8x10 looks great but shifting it will kill ya, especially when you get home and are unloading in the dark into the house/garage at 2am in the p*ssing rain. Gear's moved on so much now, a decent 2x12 lightweight will shift as much air and sound as loud.

I have a 2x10 combo which weighs 16kg. That in one hand, bass in the other, out the car, in the venue, plug in, tune up and Robert's your mother's brother! Gives me time to have a drink and watch the others setting up for the next half hour... ;)

Not sure how old or fit you are but i'm 47 play about 70 - 80 gig a year in covers bands and use a fairly light P-bass
and a 2x12 Cab play 2 x 45-60 min set and sometimes up to 3 hours total so use what will be comfortable for YOU

I would suggest a light weight as you can get away with : )

Enjoy !
Ade

In regard to venues that aren't designed for bands; you will encounter such things as;
Having to unplug the cigarette machine (do they still exist?), or fruit machine, in order to power the whole band from one socket.
Arriving in time to set up, only to find that several people are eating meals in the "stage" area.
Access to/from "stage" is via crowded dancefloor.
Access to toilets is via "stage".
Access to fire exit, which you mustn't block is, via "stage".
"Stage" is area in corner, behind pillar and cut off from main bar area.

However, apart from the aforementioned diners, you will enjoy the freedom of setting up as you like in your own space (the size of a matchbox), without being hassled by sound engineers and musicians from other bands.
Have fun!

Spares - fuses, plugs, cables. Basic toolkit - pliers, screwdrivers, allen keys. Electrical stuff - extension cables, circuit breaker. Combo is an easier take out than head and cab, packing up is a pain after 3 hrs. Watch your kit when packing up, do not leave it unattended, take it in turns to go to car / van. This is when you can have kit nicked. I always put bass in case when not in use. Consider a cheap bass that you will not mourn over if it gets damaged or stolen.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1357596483' post='1925236']
I've found kit with smaller dimensions to be so much better for the pub scene. Getting gear in and out of most pubs can be a total pain, the combination of doors, corridors and drunken twats always standing right in the place that makes it most difficult to pass. :angry:

8 x 10's are good for frightening the landlord though :happy:
[/quote]
[quote name='3below' timestamp='1357629357' post='1925482']
Spares - fuses, plugs, cables. Basic toolkit - pliers, screwdrivers, allen keys. Electrical stuff - extension cables, circuit breaker. Combo is an easier take out than head and cab, packing up is a pain after 3 hrs. Watch your kit when packing up, do not leave it unattended, take it in turns to go to car / van. This is when you can have kit nicked. I always put bass in case when not in use. Consider a cheap bass that you will not mourn over if it gets damaged or stolen.
[/quote]

These two are my views as well. Plus agree about most peoples comments re sets. 2 x 45mins is the norm, with the expectation, if the audience are enjoying the gig, that you over-run the last set to an hour, so always look to finish your last set 15mins before the bell goes, so if you`re asked for encores, you can actually do them.

[quote name='Adee' timestamp='1357602035' post='1925368']
Not sure how old or fit you are...[/quote]

This is a major factor! In my twenties and even thirties I would happily heft a Trace Elliot stack in and out of pubs, but not now! In fact Even after a one hour set I feel it the next day :(

Definitely invest in a good, wide, padded strap. Even then, as you will be earning from every gig, maybe buy a cheap lightweight bass (Squier, Ibanez, that type of thing) that will be easier on your shoulders and back.

IME different pubs have different expectations of how many sets and how long they should be. Try to speak to the venue first so you know what to expect. If it's in a town centre they may prefer one longer set to avoid losing punters at half time. Out in the sticks it is often more flexible. Some bars have curfews, so check out what time you need to finish. No good saving your show-stopping tunes till the end and finding out that you can't play them! :rolleyes:

Pretty much agree with most of the above. I've been gigging in a pub covers band for the past 3 years and soon learnt small and lightweight is so much better. Have been using a single 15" cab for everything, and it's more than enough with a decent amp. Normally use a Vintage V4 bass.
I also have the honour of setting up all the PA for the band, which is nice lol.

Nothing much to add, except that we used to have a mate who did our sound for us just because the pub is usually a lot more crowded when we start than when we soundcheck and all those extra bags of water play havoc with the mix (we tend to mic the guitars so we have more flexibility to mix the front of house sound).

Trouble is, he's now our singer. He does use a radio mic, though, so he can twiddle the sliders a bit during the first couple of songs.

Playing in cramped, awkward spaces in the way of the toilets and the fire escape means you really appreciate a proper stage with in-house PA and lighting when you do play the bigger pubs!

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1357595450' post='1925201']
....Am I going to struggle playing for 2 hours with a heavy old T-40? Is my 8x10 going to be too big/much?....
[/quote]

Only you know the answers to those questions.

I mostly use a 500 watt amp and 2 112 cabs although I can also wheel out 2 210 cabs if I feel like it.

You can use any gear that you want. The difference between your sound in a covers or originals band doesn't have to be a million miles apart.

My only advice would be, don't get caught up trying to sound exactly like the original. You don’t have to do that. It’s better to sound like you playing the song than trying to be the original player.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1357646948' post='1925820']
I think you should swap your T-40 for my nice, light, Roasdstar II, then your back will be fine! :)
[/quote]

Not likely! They will be buried with me if I have my way lol. Plus I have my Status energy for active jazzyness. If I was to go down the light weight route I'd probably look for a BB of some description :)