Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Those of you who play in covers bands on the pub scene help!

cocco

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1357605089' post='1925398']
However, apart from the aforementioned diners, you will enjoy the freedom of setting up as you like in your own space (the size of a matchbox), without being hassled by sound engineers and musicians from other bands.
Have fun!
[/quote]
Unless you have your own sound engineer. Can be very useful in controlling levels, but ideally either a small child, or someone who loves someone in the band (ie cheap)
You might want to be strict on makign sure people aren't turnign up etc through the gig too!

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1357598896' post='1925306']
The band I just left regularly did 3 hour slots. Just think we didn't have the heart to stop and tell people to sod off once we'd got them dancing!
[/quote]

I agree with this. We used to do say 75mins then 20 min break then rock out till we had to stop. So, go on about 9 then play through to 12.30am ish. A good tip is to take along an i pod with some tunes on it so that you can play it before going on and during your break just to keep things moving along.

And get a 1x15 or 2x10 which will be more than ample for most pubs.

I can't add anything to what has been said about length of sets and amp/cabs.

On using the T-40, I regularly use mine for gigs (2x1hr sets) with little trouble. The tone is great for most styles, I even did reggae with it :)

Get yourself a nice wide strap, adopt proper posture and off you go!

Edited by razze06

For most of my playing life I have always played with a full stack behind me. At one point I played with 4x 410's. So, when I joined a covers band for the first time I quickly realised that my current full rig (600w amp / 410 / 212) is overkill for most pubs and small clubs. The only time I will take the 410 and 212 is for an open air gig or if we play in larger venues with more room on stage separating the musicians.

I always gauge my backline requirements according to venue capacity...

below 100 - 210
100-200 - 212 or 410
201-400 - 210 / 212
400+ - 410 / 212

We sometimes play with up to 9 musicians on stage, so I am usually very close to my rig because I have no choice! With that many musicians kicking off we do try very hard to keep the stage volume down as much as possible to minimise stage spill and to save our ears. So, a massive rig behind me is pointless if we are in a pub or small club.

Most folks will use the 'drum volume = backline volume' rule if only the vocals are going through the PA. One cab is suitable in most pub setups. Some drummers obviously hit like Bonham, but if you start cranking up in toe then you will be peeling the punters off the walls at the end of the evening. Filling out a small venue with huge stage volumes are very harsh and brutal for the listeners despite of your enjoyment. It might be fun hitting over 90db's, but most folks will say to you "Cracking band down the Fox & Horses last night, but bloody hell they were loud!". It does spoil their enjoyment. Be careful and use kit that is fit for purpose.

I usually do a 1 hour set followed by a 90 minute set (including encores if they're wanted). Have done 3 hours of music in one night some nights though! :)

I'm using an 8 ohm 4x10 and i've never been left needing more volume... I'd still like a taller stack for some venues where the stage area is so small that you're standing right in front of your amp, and the sound travels right past your knees!

Can't say I know much about using heavy basses on long gigs though! I guess try it out and see, and take a spare just in case you feel yourself getting fatigued :)