Why become a member? ×

The ugliest bass

Fionn

Musicman Big Al. I'm sure (like all MM basses) they're a joy to play, and have a massive palette of tones to choose from, but I saw one once and it made my eyes throw up. That's right - eye-bile.

I'd have one though, and only play it in the dark. :ph34r:

Hard to choose, as I find almost all basses ugly.
That said, within the frame of ugliness, I do be able to get GAS for quite many of them, based on their shapes and colours.

But each serious look at basses most often just reveals the total lack of design prowess from the part of the makers, these modern coffee table basses most often being horrendously over the top, and the classics reeking of the uneasy 50s.

OK then: over the top pointy things for boys aged twelve.

Rant over

best,
bert

[quote name='bengreen49' timestamp='1357514664' post='1924003']
Do people actually buy Danelectro instruments? I really can't believe that anyone would like them. Maybe use one as part of a costume in a pantomime or something but to actually want to own one... WTF?
[/quote]

Err......yes they do! Love mine, one of my favourite basses. Sounds fantastic too, although I understand they are a bit
of a Marmite thing on the visual front. Seen some great players using them over the years - Garry Tallent, Entwistle, Joey Spampinato with
Chuck Berry / Keith Richard etc & Jack Bruce in the 60's.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1357550324' post='1924173']
No it's not. On properly designed bass it lets you get your thumb around the neck all the way up to the 21st fret.

:-)
[/quote]
Why would you though? :)
Guitars, yes. Not a technique i've ever used on bass. My personal choice would be singlecut every time.