Why become a member? ×

The ugliest bass

Fionn

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1358274876' post='1936166']
Here's another one, with which you should seek immediate psychiatric help, if you like it in any way...

[/quote]This thing is insane. and yes he really can play it. Some cool stories behind it too. Weighs about a ton. Not for the precision fans among us that much is certain. You should see it stood next to a regular 4 string or should i say, toothpick.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358280543' post='1936322']
IIRC that particular bass actually belongs to a member here.

While it's possible to have a laugh poking fun at what we might consider the less attractive instruments, I think actually singling out a particular individual's bass for abuse is a bit too far...
[/quote]

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, and completely subjective, most basses listed are also in the most beautiful bass thread, almost every type of bass has been mentioned here, along with many pics, [i]all[/i] of which have owners. I don't care if Fenders are mentioned (Which they have), if someone thinks my basses are ugly, then fine by me, thats what this thread is all about.

I know what I like, and care little if someone else thinks its ugly. Thats what's good about a forum, it's full of opinion, (especially threads that [i]actually[/i] [i]ask[/i] for an opinion, like this one) otherwise there is no forum.

Lets be honest, anyone buying a bass like that, isn't going to be offended by someone thinking it's ugly are they, and they will be very aware that it's going to attract some comment, from people who love it, or not, it's hardly subtle is it.

Also, there was no abuse, as you stated, I just think it's ugly. One man's meat..,,,etc.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1358342194' post='1937264']
Also, there was no abuse, as you stated, I just think it's ugly. One man's meat..,,,etc.
[/quote]

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Here's another one, with which you should seek immediate psychiatric help, if you like it in any way...[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Seems pretty abusive to me...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358344392' post='1937331']
Seems pretty abusive to me...
[/quote]

Oh, come on Charic, when someone is brave enough orders a guitar that looks like that (and you've go to really want it as I imagine it was a small fortune and took a while to make) they'll be wanting to draw attention to themselves and so also be brave enough to stand up to people's remarks of favour or otherwise. I doubt the owner would be offended, at least I wouldn't be if it was me, and I'm not brave enough to order a guitar like that - even if I could play it.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1358345353' post='1937371']
Really?? :o
[/quote]

Yep, a direct comment against someones state of mind seems pretty abusive.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358347137' post='1937416']
Oh, come on Charic, when someone is brave enough orders a guitar that looks like that (and you've go to really want it as I imagine it was a small fortune and took a while to make) they'll be wanting to draw attention to themselves and so also be brave enough to stand up to people's remarks of favour or otherwise. I doubt the owner would be offended, at least I wouldn't be if it was me, and I'm not brave enough to order a guitar like that - even if I could play it.
[/quote]

True enough, saying you don't like something is fair enough. Comments against the person playing isn't.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1358347137' post='1937416']
[/quote]

This. thankyou.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358347355' post='1937429']
[/quote]

Someone's state of mind?. C'mon don't be [s]dumb[/s] (Sorry, offensive), [s]stupid[/s] (oops, and again), naive (hopefully safe?), can you get some context...oh, and humour. [s]Jeeez[/s] (Abbreviation of something probably offensive in your world, so probably should strike it out!).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358347355' post='1937429']
[/quote]

I see you making these comments, yet the statement above your avatar, that I've just noticed "Moronmod", surely that could offend someone?

According to dictionary;
[i]Moron. [color=#333333]Psychology[/color] . Considered offensive, a [color=#333333]person[/color] [color=#333333]of[/color] [color=#333333]borderline[/color] intelligence in a former and discarded [color=#333333]classification[/color] [color=#0055bb]of[/color] mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 [color=#333333]to[/color] [color=#333333]69.[/color][/i]

Not that I give a sh*te, just an observation.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1358350632' post='1937541']
I see you making these comments, yet the statement above your avatar, that I've just noticed "Moronmod", surely that could offend someone?

According to dictionary;
[i]Moron. [color=#333333]Psychology[/color] . Considered offensive, a [color=#333333]person[/color] [color=#333333]of[/color] [color=#333333]borderline[/color] intelligence in a former and discarded [color=#333333]classification[/color] [color=#0055bb]of[/color] mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 [color=#333333]to[/color] [color=#333333]69.[/color][/i]

Not that I give a sh*te, just an observation.
[/quote]

It's in reference to a previous situation where I ballsed up as a mod on here and got called (fairly deservingly) a moron.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1358350748' post='1937543']
It's in reference to a previous situation where I ballsed up as a mod on here and got called (fairly deservingly) a moron.
[/quote]

Yet you feel the need to permanently display it, even at the risk at offending those with genuine mental illness, or deficiency, despite having such strong opinions on such a subject? :unsure:

OK, enough, we could go on and on, I think you were being massivley over-sensitive and humourless, but my point is made. But let's move on, life's short. ;)

It's still an ugly bass............. (D'oh.........promised I'd resist!) :P

Ok, so let's get back on topic with just a thought to digest. I think we have to remember that BassChat is actually quite a close community. Many members know each other personally and we usually end up at various bass shows / bashes / gigs and the like. We all really enjoy meeting up (well I do) and sharing our wide and diverse tastes in instruments. I'd like to think that even though we may or may not find a particular band, instrument or hair style to our own taste we can be grown up and responsible about how we place our opinions. I mean, take for example the bass in question. No, it may not be to taste, but it IS owned by a member here. I'd actually not mind being told that a person doesn't like my basses, but then, there's the point at which you can cross the line. Really, I don't think I need expand on that if you think about it.

Let's pull this thread back on track. Tell us why you think [i]the bass [/i]is ugly, what you don't like about[i] it[/i] - don't berate the kind of people who might like it, that's not really fair. I for one think the Binky Bass is a real corker.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1358352699' post='1937607']
I'd actually not mind being told that a person doesn't like my basses, but then, there's the point at which you can cross the line. Really, I don't think I need expand on that if you think about it.
[/quote]

I don't like your basses......
;)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1358353188' post='1937624']
I don't like your basses......
;)
[/quote]

Me either - that's maybe why I keep wanting Jon to build me another... and another... and another....

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1358353914' post='1937646']
Me either - that's maybe why I keep wanting Jon to build me another... and another... and another....
[/quote]

I honestly thought you were just trying to spend our way out of the economic crisis :lol:

I've never been a fan of single-cuts, although they're hugely prevalent amongst the top-end of the market - so I get this dichotomy between these basses which represent the pinnacle of instrument construction... and yet I'll never enjoy, aesthetically. To me, they appear cumbersome and bloated; they seem to want to show off, to be different, to have some pretension.

But you learn as much about yourself, when you look outward, as you learn about the object under scrutiny :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1358354405' post='1937662']
I honestly thought you were just trying to spend our way out of the economic crisis :lol:

I've never been a fan of single-cuts, although they're hugely prevalent amongst the top-end of the market - so I get this dichotomy between these basses which represent the pinnacle of instrument construction... and yet I'll never enjoy, aesthetically. To me, they appear cumbersome and bloated; they seem to want to show off, to be different, to have some pretension.

But you learn as much about yourself, when you look outward, as you learn about the object under scrutiny :)
[/quote]

Quality post!

I think my take on Singlecuts is not that they are there to show off or be noticed - I guess if that were the case, the Fender Telecaster, The Gibson Les Paul and the humble acoustic guitar have got a lot to answer for, yet we're so used to seeing them, no one bats an eyelid. Maybe bass players just don't like change? :lol:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1358355480' post='1937687']
I win -

I claim my £5
[/quote]

Be careful, apparently you're not allowed to include basses that could be owned by anyone on here, for fear of offending..................and [i]that [/i]is a very offensive bass! :P (please tell me it's a photoshop job, and it's not real?)

Edited by Rick's Fine '52