Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1445341715' post='2890665']
Ability, Skill and Understanding is a very broad spectrum of which only the degrees vary, but we are all on and spread out across that spectrum.
[/quote]

How true. I think there's a few musical snobs who think ability is about flashy runs and technical dexterity rather than pure feel for music.
I myself, think lead guitar with feeling like Slash , is better than lead guitar with speed, like Buckethead. Same with bass playing. Then again, that's only my opinion.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1445334145' post='2890573']

At the risk of injecting yet more life into this zombie thread, let me lay this urban myth to rest.

From interviews with Trevor Horn and other engineers who were working at SARM at the time of FGTH, they were unhappy with the playing on "Relax" so they got the Blockheads in to re-do the instrumental parts. While the results were better technically they didn't have the right feel - does that make NWR a poor bass player since he didn't play what was required for the song ;-)

Eventually the track was assembled in Page R on the Fairlight. Some of the individual notes used create the bass line might have been sampled from the Blockheads session but that hardly makes it NWR's playing. The actual performance came from whoever did the programming - most likely one of The Art Of Noise.
[/quote]

Fair enough. It doesn't even sound like there's a bass anywhere on Relax.

Can anyone be considered a poor player if they have been doing it professionally for decades? I remember whatshername from the Pixies saying that the hardest thing for a bassist to do is to consistently play root notes on the beat and not to put any runs or fills in or any big endings.

I'm with Xilddx's reply earlier in the thread. Only a few bass players care if the bloke on the big guitar can do a zillion note per second arpeggio or are playing in the phrygian dominant scale or what have you. The rest of the audience are listening to the song as a whole and enjoyimg it or not on its merits.
I still don't get how Adam Clayton is 'bad'? I don't like U2 but he seems like he's doing exactly what they need and loads of people love them.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1445346738' post='2890729']
I'm with Xilddx's reply earlier in the thread. Only a few bass players care if the bloke on the big guitar can do a zillion note per second arpeggio or are playing in the phrygian dominant scale or what have you. The rest of the audience are listening to the song as a whole and enjoyimg it or not on its merits.
I still don't get how Adam Clayton is 'bad'? I don't like U2 but he seems like he's doing exactly what they need and loads of people love them.
[/quote]

Completely this!!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1356646486' post='1912091']
I give it three minutes before someone mentions U2. Oh, wait, it's already happened! ;)
[/quote]

I am by no means a U2 fan, as their music does nothing for me. Granted, Clayton's playing (AFAIK) has not been tested in another genre, but IMO he plays what the song requires.

The irritating thing is that people seem to equate poor with simple.

Whereas simple is effective and poor is actually just bad.

The only successful band I ever heard of with a poor bass player was The Sex Pistols. But that was kinda the point.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1445352572' post='2890826']
The irritating thing is that people seem to equate poor with simple.

Whereas simple is effective and poor is actually just bad.

The only successful band I ever heard of with a poor bass player was The Sex Pistols. But that was kinda the point.
[/quote]

And even then that was the Sid era - Glen Matlock was really rather good.

Agree re simple - why on earth people equate simple playing with poor playing is beyond me. OK, ACs lines are simple, but are they out of time, do they get in the way of either Bonos or The Edges performance, does his tone not suit the songs? Also, New Years Day - what a bassline, virtually the whole song written around it. Take that away from it/change it, completely different song.

I can't understand the negativity about Adam Clayton either. I agree that I'm not particularly a fan, but that's more down to that annoying twatt Bonio, who does my head in, but Adam is a perfectly good musician who has produced some great bass playing over the course of their albums and is well thought of.

I think he's a poser , I'm not a fan, but not sure how he can be considered a bad bass player within the context of what he does 24/7 with U2?

Did, he create the bass line to New Years Day ? If so that's pretty iconic, and also one of the few lines in pop that most people would name if played solo, not a bad acheivement

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1445430454' post='2891386']
Not exactly sure about what constitutes a 'Super Band'
[/quote]

My interpretation (correct me if I'm wrong OP) is of a band that is generally well known around the world, and fills large venues on a regular basis.

I actually think Adam Clayton is great in U2... is he great anywhere else..??
Well, no one is calling him and he doesn't need them too either but he does a
good job there, IMO.

I'll throw this one in though as I've said it before.

Verdine White fits the bill of the OP, IMO

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1445448499' post='2891599']
I actually think Adam Clayton is great in U2... is he great anywhere else..??
Well, no one is calling him and he doesn't need them too either but he does a
good job there, IMO.

I'll throw this one in though as I've said it before.

Verdine White fits the bill of the OP, IMO
[/quote]

You only need to be "versatile" if you're not earning enough money from just being in one band.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1356681721' post='1912278']
Jason Newsted / Metallica[/quote]

Jason's recorded works, whilst he was in Metallica, were "buried" in the mix, he is, in fact a great bass player. If you listened to the three album he made with Voivod after he left Lars & Co., you [b]will[/b] hear some great bass work.

In the same sort of area as Adam Clayton, what about Nicky Wire of Manic Street Preachers. I`ve spent a few days just jamming to them and they`re very easy lines to play, but similarly, what he does gels with the drums and doesn`t get in the way of James Dean Bradfields guitar lines or vocals - both of which are excellent and more the better for being given the space they need imv. Wonder how many people think he isn`t very good because he hangs back out of the way?

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1356692280' post='1912401']
There are more rotten bands around than useless bass players. Most rock bands are unbelievably, stunningly dull and boring...but are completely oblivious to it.
[/quote]

You obviously don't like rock.

Edited by steantval

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1445581323' post='2892470']

You obviously don't like rock.
[/quote]

I agree. That's just a troll type comment to say most rock bands are dull and boring and should be ignored. Which is exactly what I haven't done...... Damn !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1445583528' post='2892489']
That's just a troll type comment to say most rock bands are dull and boring and should be ignored.
[/quote]

I don't see a troll type comment there at all, but just a serious opinion with a valid point.
Also, he didn't state these bands should be ignored by others. He just found them dull and boring himself, as do I and as I presume do you yourself. I mean: of all the rock bands in the world, how many would you actually want to go and see live, or even play a CD of?
Me, I'd certainly not buy the CD of the "club band" of our ferry to Denmark, or the band that often plays at market days in our community.

BTW, he said it three years ago.
It's not certain he visits this thread to see the responses and explain or "defend" himself.