Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1356694784' post='1912446']
Think personality has to play a major part in selecting any musician for a band. Maybe he's just a nice guy. ? :)
Dave
[/quote]

When you start it does.

Some bass players are pretty ropey from a technical POV, but in the case of someone like MaCartney, they were all average and learnt together
and the sum of the parts they brought together was pretty soon apparent 4-5 years down the line..
Some people bring bass playing skills... but there are plenty of them about..others bring something else.. and in terms of Walters and Macartney, for example.
their contributions were definitive and without them...??

Not just when you start. You need to get along with other band members or band eventually will split or it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure.

ie Floyd, Deep Purple, i'm sure there are a few others but can't recall their reasons for splitting Beatles ? Zep ? early Genesis etc etc sure many bands have disagreements that are passed over and they get on with the job in hand because they generally get on with each other.

Then again i could be wrong and everyone hates everyone else more than they hate the others. :lol: :D ;)

Dave

I would pick players that I could get along with over my mates, if the other guy was a better player for that band.
And this would apply some way up the line as well. Of course, you avoid arseholes, but best players trump best mates everytime.

As long as the relationship was on a professional footing. of course. Even mates get to you over some little things...and it can wreck friendships..
But then, I never see bands as loong term things... they have a finite life and you move on.

I think it is entirely legitimate to class some players as poor. This ia a bass player's forum, not a fan site. If someone is held up as a special player because of their technique or the creativity of their lines then its a matter of taste but if someone can't hold a tune together without messing up, only ever plays root notes and is out of tune, then 'poor' is the appropriate term. Once you put yourself out there for 'consumption', you have to take the rough with the smooth. Liking everything out of politeness is just being undiscerning.

Suppose it all comes down to perspective of if your into w*** or keeping the bottom end going. i'd rather keep the bottom end going and through in the odd fill, as long as everything keep's pumping. Maybe it comes down to musical tastes and who also infuenced you.

[quote name='BassPimp66' timestamp='1356681721' post='1912278']
Jason Newsted / Metallica
Clifford Williams / ACDC
[/quote]

Having played in an ac/dc tribute act, I know this is so wrong. He may only play root notes most of the time but his timing and overall playing is bang on. Always. You should try and play a full set of songs at the pace he does.

Another guy who play what the song requires. Like Adam Clayton, Roger Waters etc.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1356697290' post='1912497']
I think it is entirely legitimate to class some players as poor. This ia a bass player's forum, not a fan site. If someone is held up as a special player because of their technique or the creativity of their lines then its a matter of taste but if someone can't hold a tune together without messing up, only ever plays root notes and is out of tune, then 'poor' is the appropriate term. Once you put yourself out there for 'consumption', you have to take the rough with the smooth. Liking everything out of politeness is just being undiscerning.
[/quote]
Using this term and I agree then I dont think I have ever seen a band outside of the local youth club that was 'poor' then, plenty of basic root note players out there myself included but in time and in key most of the time from what I have seen :)

[b]If no one had ever played fairly simple lines on bass I suspect most of us here would never of tried, sure I loved the BSSM album but had much more chance of getting a band going at school sounding like Nirvana than the Chilis, I imagine most of us have a similar story and we could guess your ages by the bands you substitute for my choices?[/b]

Stupid thing is by the time I had a chance at playing something a bit more tasty I was too old and losing my hair, which again I suspect I am not alone :D

Anyone who doubts Cliff Williams musicianship, (which he practises through playing the bass.) should watch ACDC Live at River Plate. A stadium of people turned into one churning mass of celebration and communal enjoyment. Music at one of it's most base, feral and inane levels, but also pure and meaningful as well.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1356701491' post='1912590']
Anyone who doubts Cliff Williams musicianship, (which he practises through playing the bass.) should watch ACDC Live at River Plate. A stadium of people turned into one churning mass of celebration and communal enjoyment. Music at one of it's most base, feral and inane levels, but also pure and meaningful as well.
[/quote]. +1 what a great show I used to think castle donnington was big years ago, the sheer number of fans at river plate show knocks my socks off. Love it

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1356701491' post='1912590']
[/quote]
Also, look at the sales figures of Back in black. How many would it have sold if he was twiddling away all over it?

Noel Redding was a guitarist who got lucky and joined Jimi Hendrix's band. His bass playing is duff.

edit : and Mitch Mitchell was crap too. Supposedly Hendrix used to creep into the studio at 3 in the morning with other better musicians and record tracks - 'rainy day, dream away' being one of them where the bass is actually played on hammond organ by mike Finnigan and the drummer is Buddy Miles.

Edited by gjones

It's a difficult call because I wouldn't call either them super bands in terms of their artistic achievement ( or lack thereof ) but special mention must firstly be given to the bass player out of Coldplay . He is desperately bad , and I think even he knows it . He looks like he is completly out of his depth and expects to be exposed as a fraud at any moment . The other notables are whoever occupied the bass chair in Oasis ( Giggsy and Andy Bell I suppose ) who similaly never played a worthwhile note , and didn't seem to care either . I always thought the bass player out of Pulp was awful too .

In contrast to the bass players I have just mentioned who are genuinely reprehensible , I have to say that I think the criticisms of Adam Clayton are completley unwarranted . I think he is a very good bass player within the idiom in which he is working . He has played many memorable and inventive parts that serve U2s songs superbly well , he's got a great sound on a lot of those records and he knows how to come up with a great hook every now and again . He might not be Stanley Clarke, but his music ends up all the better for that .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1356646930' post='1912099']
...is one of the most solid rock bassists out there and one hell of backing vocalist to boot. So, you're way off the mark there.
[/quote]

+1 on this comment on Michael Anthony of Van Halen . He's a superb hard rock bass player who is no slouch when the mood takes him . Listen to the first VH album and Michael plays some clever stuff throughout without ever cramping EVHs style or getting in the way . An underrated player in my estimation , and not poor by any stretch of the imagination .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356708401' post='1912737']
It's a difficult call because I wouldn't call either them super bands in terms of their artistic achievement ( or lack thereof ) but special mention must firstly be given to the bass player out of Coldplay . He is desperately bad , and I think even he knows it . He looks like he is completly out of his depth and expects to be exposed as a fraud at any moment . The other notables are whoever occupied the bass chair in Oasis ( Giggsy and Andy Bell I suppose ) who similaly never played a worthwhile note , and didn't seem to care either . I always thought the bass player out of Pulp was awful too .

In contrast to the bass players I have just mentioned who are genuinely reprehensible , I have to say that I think the criticisms of Adam Clayton are completley unwarranted . I think he is a very good bass player within the idiom in which he is working . He has played many memorable and inventive parts that serve U2s songs superbly well , he's got a great sound on a lot of those records and he knows how to come up with a great hook every now and again . He might not be Stanley Clarke, but his music ends up all the better for that .
[/quote]
I guess if you look in a dictionary under contradiction they would of put this but it was too long? :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1356706867' post='1912711']
Noel Redding was a guitarist who got lucky and joined Jimi Hendrix's band. His bass playing is duff.

edit : and Mitch Mitchell was crap too. Supposedly Hendrix used to creep into the studio at 3 in the morning with other better musicians and record tracks - 'rainy day, dream away' being one of them where the bass is actually played on hammond organ by mike Finnigan and the drummer is Buddy Miles.
[/quote]

Cannot believe these comments about Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding . They were an integral part of the sound of Hendrixs records and made a huge contribution to the enduring legacy of Hendrixs music . Noel took to playing the bass like a natural and played better than most other bassists of the era , and Mitch Mitchells agile drumming style acted as a foil to Hendrixs histrionics on the guitar .

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1356706867' post='1912711']

[/quote]
I wondered if anyone would mention Noel :)
He is my hero!
Not the best but that is why I like him.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356708811' post='1912747']
I guess if you look in a dictionary under contradiction they would of put this but it was too long? :)
[/quote]

I wouldn't put Adan Clayton in the same bracket as the other two because he makes so much more of a contribution to the sound of that band than the other two ( three ) have ever done to theirs . Show me a Coldplay or Oasis record where the bass is an integral part of the overall composition like it is on New Years Day , With Or Without You , Still Havent Found ect and several others I can't be bothered to name ,. It might be simple but it's memorable and often highly effective . The same cannot be said of the fellows out of Coldplay or Oasis , who have literally never played anything of any merit . Ever .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356709068' post='1912751']
Cannot believe these comments about Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding . They were an integral part of the sound of Hendrixs records and made a huge contribution to the enduring legacy of Hendrixs music . Noel took to playing the bass like a natural and played better than most other bassists of the era , and Mitch Mitchells agile drumming style acted as a foil to Hendrixs histrionics on the guitar .
[/quote]

Well there wasn't exactly a queue around the block to sign them up to play in other bands once Hendrix gave them the boot.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1356709148' post='1912754']
I wondered if anyone would mention Noel :)
He is my hero!
Not the best but that is why I like him.
[/quote]

He never touched the bass again after Hendrix gave him the heave ho. He preferred guitar.