Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

As macca said the powers in the bass! Just got back from the local after having this crap shoot.

Shoved into a dark corner, no ones knows ya name, bass guitars for failed guitarists....but I really can't think of a super band, decent band, fave rave call it what you will with a poor bass player. Even those with players that most can't name....for example REM, good example, ask anyone who isnt into bass.

Surely there must be a duffer out there dragged and carried by his bandmates?

Edited by iconic

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1356646751' post='1912096']
The guy from Van Halen ?
[/quote]
...is one of the most solid rock bassists out there and one hell of backing vocalist to boot. So, you're way off the mark there.

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1356647077' post='1912103']
There we are then, its all subjective. I'm off the mark in your opinion and maybe others but hey…..its only rock n roll.
[/quote]
+1.
If we forget that it's only rock and roll then it will be very easy to get upset in this thread at someone else putting down our fave bassist.

Perhaps it would go better if we stuck to the more exact question of: name a band YOU like that has a bassist that YOU think is no good.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1356647276' post='1912106']
And about 10 minutes in someone will start questioning whether U2 are actually a "super" band or not. :)

As you were ...
[/quote]

Sprang to my mind instantly, except in my mind there is no question.

(just to clarify, I do not think they are a super band)

Edited by Count Bassy

As far as I'm aware you only need to play the right notes at the right time to be a useful musician.

I'd hardly say that Roger Waters failed to do that! Just because he's not a natural bassplayer doesn't make him poor or bad at it, it just means that he lacks a certain showmanship on it. But imagine if Entwistle ended up playing for Pink Floyd! How different they would have been!

Truckstop

Ps, I also like U2 and I think that Adam Clayton is a great pop bassist. The rhythm in 'Still Haven't Found...' makes that song and, live, his playing really adds so much meat to the songs. Also, I never heard him make a mistake, and I've seen U2 six times!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1356647562' post='1912110']
+1.
If we forget that it's only rock and roll then it will be very easy to get upset in this thread at someone else putting down our fave bassist.

Perhaps it would go better if we stuck to the more exact question of: name a band YOU like that has a bassist that YOU think is no good.
[/quote]

This.

Then we could have a good debate- slagging session of why you are wrong. :ph34r:

Motley Crue?

I also remember some band somewhere that had to re-record all the bass parts laid down by the original bass player because they were so bad. I think it might have been a Trevor Horn produced track...was it Frankie Goes To Hollywood?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356667034' post='1912257']
Motley Crue?

I also remember some band somewhere that had to re-record all the bass parts laid down by the original bass player because they were so bad. I think it might have been a Trevor Horn produced track...was it Frankie Goes To Hollywood?
[/quote]
I can't imagine the other 3 members of Mötley Crüe would complain too much about Nikki Sixx as a bass player, they all became very wealthy due to his song writing, and his bad boy behaviour meant they were never out of the media in their heyday.