Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1362326401' post='1998394']
Erk. A bass followed me out of the show today. Mrs will kill me!
[/quote]

You didn't buy it..you're merely looking after it until you sell it..but if she does kill you can you leave it to me in your will??

Edited by TheGreek

Just got back. Really great event. Thanks to all who spent the time and effort putting on the BC stand.

[indent=1]Managed to get a good deal on a TC Electronic BG250 - £275 delivered plus a couple of folding stands for £5 each.[/indent]

[indent=1]Cheers,[/indent]

[indent=1]Doug[/indent]

Here it is!

Brubaker Brute MJXSC4. The new Singlecut import. Lovely electronics and fit and finish overall.

The action is pretty damn low, though might have to shim it to get any noticeably lower. The MM pup really sings in this. An excellent Musicman alternative. The hardware is rock solid. Either way its a nice entry into the Singlecut world, will I keep it? Who knows! Tom Richards (Who was the guy selling them on the Bassdirect stand) Was a lovely chap and I hope he enjoyed his stay in blighty!

The neck join is a real deep bolt on. Very interesting. This could be one of the first Brute SC's sold in the UK though I would have to get confirmation from Tom about that.

R

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1362334240' post='1998540']
Here it is!

Brubaker Brute MJXSC4. The new Singlecut import. Lovely electronics and fit and finish overall.

The action is pretty damn low, though might have to shim it to get any noticeably lower. The MM pup really sings in this. An excellent Musicman alternative. The hardware is rock solid. Either way its a nice entry into the Singlecut world, will I keep it? Who knows! Tom Richards (Who was the guy selling them on the Bassdirect stand) Was a lovely chap and I hope he enjoyed his stay in blighty!

The neck join is a real deep bolt on. Very interesting. This could be one of the first Brute SC's sold in the UK though I would have to get confirmation from Tom about that.

R
[/quote]

Ask your wife not to damage it too much as she beats you to death with it..JOOI what type of case will it come in if you bequeath it to me??

Great day out, thanks again to bluejay for holding the BC torch all weekend :) Was great to catch up with a few people who I haven't seen for ages and I managed to get Faye to play a few nice basses too :) She'll be on here soon, I will make sure of that....

Basses of the day for me were the Statii (of course) and ACGs, especially Status's gorgeous red S2 Classic with faux binding and Alan's bubinga Graft 4 (I think???) That one has really got me thinking about a new toy....

Nate Watts was awesome, as were all three teenagers brave enough to stand and play i front of everyone. I'd sh*t myself in the same situation ;)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1362334597' post='1998544']
Ask your wife not to damage it too much as she beats you to death with it..JOOI what type of case will it come in if you bequeath it to me??
[/quote]

A semi hard case... Real nice case actually!

Well here's my pre-decimal tuppenceworth:

I went on Saturday and had a great time. From comments on previous events, I was expecting it to sound like an explosion in a spoon factory, but it wasn't bad at all. Far worse was the rumbling from the TC Electronics stand which made my fillings vibrate on a number of occasions. You need to bear in mind that I am a Music Teacher and routinely spend time in a class full of students all banging away on whatever they can get their hands on, so maybe I'm just desensitised.

The masterclasses and shows were ace. I enjoyed Dave Ellefson's way more than I thought I would. The thought of him playing on a Sunday morning at his local church is an image which will sustain me for days. Jah Wobble was great even though his Bass sounded a bit farty every time he played an 'A'... Lee Rocker err, 'Rocked'. I missed Nate Watts due to lack of foresight on the transport front and had to get a train back to Brum. Please tell me he was terrible...

I came away with The Baton - the hard case came in useful when I had to fight my way onto the 17.50 to Watford Junction. For a small fee or donation to BassChat, I will corroborate any stories along the lines of 'No Darling, THIS is that Bass which is going around the country and I haven't spent the children’s trust fund/mortgage/wedding and honeymoon savings on another Bass'. Yes, I am a prince.

Well worth the trip and it was lovely to see BassChat in person (sort of).

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1362321983' post='1998318']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Apparently Matamp had a demo model of their new 500 hybrid, but in an unmarked box. It is going to be sold through a distributor who's stand it was on, and labelled as the distributors product. Anyone see it, or know who the distributor is?[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I do, and played through it at length but have been sworn to secrecy...

That was the best weekend I've had in ages. Lovely to meet some of you, in fact I think I enjoyed this side of things more than the basses! I had a good long chat with Sheldon Dingwall after trying a frankly astonishing Combustion bass. Splendid chap. And he can build a bass with an audible and tight low f#!

Roll on next year. Bravo to all involved.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362328313' post='1998423']
I've taken a few photos of both models on show, but only from the front. I have informed the guys at the stand of the existence of Basschat and the interest their basses are receiving - they may sign up and join the conversation soon.
[/quote]

If you could post what you have up here at some point, that would be great. What ever you have will doubtless be more informative than the single small photo on their website.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1362344623' post='1998766']

Grand Wazoo's spilled the beans over on the other thread, but in the mean-time, how was it?
[/quote]

It was nice enough, but I didn't get to spend ages with i as it was so busy in there, and I was paying more attention to the basses. Intriguing though. I was assured they were very much prototypes so we'll see how they develop!

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1362344623' post='1998766']
Grand Wazoo's spilled the beans over on the other thread, but in the mean-time, how was it?
[/quote]

Not exactly spilled the beans, I've just reported as much as I was allowed to say, no details were given as to dates and specs. Though I know a bit more. tsk tsk

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1362345075' post='1998775']
If you could post what you have up here at some point, that would be great. What ever you have will doubtless be more informative than the single small photo on their website.
[/quote]

Some photos from the LBGS are here, including those basses - although they may not be as useful as I had hoped.
I mean to write a blog for Basschat in the next few days, and order, caption and add more photos; this is just a provisional upload.

(James with the BC Baton!)

Well I ended up going down in the end, had to wake up at 5:30 to drive down from Rochdale in time for opening, but it was worth the trip. Was great to catch up with the guys again and meet a couple of new faces too. Ended up being attacked by GAS too and ended up coming away with a lovely 5 string Warwick from the Bass Gear stand :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362357740' post='1999002']
Some photos from the LBGS are here, including those basses...

[/quote]

Thanks! Great photos, and this one shows me pretty much everything I wanted to see. Did anyone actually have a go on this bass? If so what did you think?