Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362256753' post='1997744']
Sold a few nice basses too today and met some nice people along the way.

[/quote]
Hey Barrie, was good to catch up earlier. Did the Wal 5 sell today? Made my way over to have a look at it and saw the 'sold' label.
P

Just back fom a fun day. Said hi to a few. Saw a few more across the room.

Did a couple of "tours" of the room and managed to restrict myself to a couple of sets of Elixirs, a strap & a couple of stands.

Tried out the G&L M series basses and a Carvin. The M series are very nice & been added to the list of "things I must get at some point"

Again spent most of the day flipping between Masterclass & Theatre and an interesting selection of shows.

Threatened to take on the baton but didn't in the end

Yolanda was playing and I missed it? NOOOOOOOOOO!
I saw her last year and have seen the deep MO (her band) twice.
Still, Lee Rocker was fun, Guy Pratt was hilarious, and the others I saw all gave me something to think about.
Great to talk to some BCers in the queues.
Had a great day though. Got a load of books and two Status gig bags for my streamlines.

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1362258315' post='1997767']

Hey Barrie, was good to catch up earlier. Did the Wal 5 sell today? Made my way over to have a look at it and saw the 'sold' label.
P
[/quote]

Yep - sold really early in the day. Could probably have sold it two or three times. At least one guy came back to buy it after playing earlier in the day and looked like he was going to burst into tears when he saw the sold sign on it :(

MusicMan Classic also went, that was a cracking price for an essentially brand new bass, over £600 less than a new one at show price I saw elsewhere!

Custom build Ritter order also taken which is some fairly serious money. Helped by having Jens Ritter to help with the fine points of detail (although he was shattered after just 1 hour's sleep last night!).

Can't remember what else went but there are quite a few serious bargains lurking in the used stock. . .

Edited by molan

Another top tip from the BC corner - an 'informed' person tells me that the number of entries on the BassGear 'win an Aphex Exciter pedal hasn't been that high compared to last year. Obviously this increases chances of winning one :)

These are cracking pedals which got a very good review in Bass Guitar Mag the other month & they retail at £155!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362260769' post='1997795']
MusicMan Classic also went, that was a cracking price for an essentially brand new bass, over £600 less than a new one at show price I saw elsewhere!
Can't remember what else went but there are quite a few serious bargains lurking in the used stock. . .
[/quote]
Ha, soon as I saw the Stingray Classic and the price tag, I said to Phil, that it wouldn't last the weekend. As it turns out it didn't last the day! Someone got a great bass at a bargin price.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362262206' post='1997810']
Another top tip from the BC corner - an 'informed' person tells me that the number of entries on the BassGear 'win an Aphex Exciter pedal hasn't been that high compared to last year. Obviously this increases chances of winning one :)

These are cracking pedals which got a very good review in Bass Guitar Mag the other month & they retail at £155!
[/quote]

Ace. I was first to stick my name in at 10am :-). Tell me is hugging a new bass in a travelodge bed perverted :-D

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1362263164' post='1997824']

Ha, soon as I saw the Stingray Classic and the price tag, I said to Phil, that it wouldn't last the weekend. As it turns out it didn't last the day! Someone got a great bass at a bargin price.
[/quote]

My bets of the used basses to sell tomorrow are - Manson John Paul Jones Signature, G&L L1500, Conklin 7, '71 Fender Jazz and maybe a Fodera (The Anthony Jackson 5 was played a lot today and, by Fodera standards is looking very cheap!).

It was really good to see some new faces today.
Apologies bluejay again. I really must learn to read a name tag!!
I walked away with a ditto looper ( it was either going to be an rh250 or the ditto). A total departure for me. I'm hoping it will expand my thought process while playing.
Quite enjoyed Steve Lawson on the markbass stand, and Yolanda as always.
Briefly meeting Neil Murray was my highlight though. That guy has been such an inspiration over the years.
I also had a chance to play with both of the new mxr bass offerings - the bass chorus Dlx, and the bass od.
I don't think I see them in my future, although I will try them again when I can actually hear the sound in the headphones over the sound of people spanking basses loudly

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1362260760' post='1997794']
My top hint - if something takes your eye, don't wait around to get permission from the Mrs, as it will probably be gone when you go back to get it :(
[/quote]

Sounds rough Ben, what caught your eye then?

Was a great day, loads of great gear - made sure I didn`t try anything in Andy Baxters stand - I could have happily bough the lot untried, some amazing basses in there. Was great to meet some Basschatters face to face at last.

And The Greek is spot-on, I tried very hard to not like that Aggie Tone-Hammer, but was completely unsuccessful. I need one, no really, I do!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362264738' post='1997844']

Sounds rough Ben, what caught your eye then?

Was a great day, loads of great gear - made sure I didn`t try anything in Andy Baxters stand - I could have happily bough the lot untried, some amazing basses in there. Was great to meet some Basschatters face to face at last.

And The Greek is spot-on, I tried very hard to not like that Aggie Tone-Hammer, but was completely unsuccessful. I need one, no really, I do!
[/quote]

Was it a pedal or the head you were after?

I saw a lot of TH pedals on display but, from what I could see no-one had any in stock :(

The TH heads are great. I love my TH500 :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362265372' post='1997854']
Was it a pedal or the head you were after?

I saw a lot of TH pedals on display but, from what I could see no-one had any in stock :(

The TH heads are great. I love my TH500 :)
[/quote]

Was the pedal. The first stand in the hall on the right had the, at £189. I was very tempted, but thought an internet search may save me some pennies.

Just back from a Junkyard Dogs gig - thank you all who came to the BC corner earlier today to have a chat! it was great to see many BC friends again, and put faces to many other screen names I hadn't met in person before! I'm loving this weekend :)
Big thanks to James (Jimryan) for taking the BC Baton to the show and passing it on after taking photos of Steve Lawson and Yolanda Charles holding it. Excellent work.
As Steve says, more tomorrow! :D

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1362262206' post='1997810']

[/quote]C0CK" Missed that compo entry.

Funny postscript to the day - bass players [i]can[/i] teach guitarists things! I was up at the show today with my guitarist son. Now he is pretty good (even if it is dad saying so) but he has been working his way up in speed on some bonkers bit of metal that actually runs at 240 BPM, but had been sort of stuck at 180. We did pretty much all of the master classes & shows and Andy Irvine went through a load of his techniques, which got #2 thinking. Came home tried the piece bearing certain things AI had said in mind and was chuffed to annouce shortly after that he had got to target speed. GO BASSPLAYERS :lol:

Edited by WalMan

I just want to say a huge thanks to Bluejay for representin' BC this year and to Barrie for inviting us sit in with Bassgear. Not only did Bluejay donate her time but she also organised the banners. I think next year we're going to have to look seriously at being bona fide exhibitors. I would have been there but flights and resignation and contracts and tax things and logistics worked conspired against me by a week. :( Still...there's always the SE Bass Bash :)