Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

Early Bird tickets are on sale, for £15 + handling fee, until 12 November 2012.

[url="http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/index.php/buy-tickets"]http://www.londonbassguitarshow.com/index.php/buy-tickets[/url]

This year I'm considering buyng tickets in advance for [b]both[/b] days :D

Edited by bluejay

BlueJay, I trust you with your socializing skills, but do you think that this year we could organize an official BC get together at the show as the previous 2 years have been a complete shumble (f*ck up) ??

I only met Ped last year and I then learnt that at least 50 BC'ers were there on the day either Sat or Sun.

What do you say BJ can you pull this off.... ( no! not this! get your hands off...lol ) I mean the get together :P

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1349289407' post='1824391']
BlueJay, I trust you with your socializing skills, but do you think that this year we could organize an official BC get together at the show as the previous 2 years have been a complete shumble (f*ck up) ??

I only met Ped last year and I then learnt that at least 50 BC'ers were there on the day either Sat or Sun.

What do you say BJ can you pull this off.... ( no! not this! get your hands off...lol ) I mean the get together :P
[/quote]

*grabs GW's jumper and attempts to "pull it off"* :D I think we can do better than in March 2012. I'm not sure what exactly BC did in 2011, as I was there on my own and wasn't a BC member at the time.

My experience this year was that the schedule of masterclasses and shows was so tight that it made it impossible for BC members to meet up properly and exchange more than a few words before having to part ways to attend whatever we were interested in attending. I managed to meet Shelley in person for the first time after arranging a time and place with her by PM and mobile, and bumped into a few other BCers at the masterclasses or while they were manning the stands.

This year we may have to face the same situation. Chris (Ped) mentioned the possibility of setting up a BC corner with some merch as a guest of a friendly stand. That would go some way towards providing us with a focal point for meeting up and hanging around until the next show or whatever. I wouldn't expect a full-on BC meetup though, as all of us will have different timetables and priorities. I for one would be happy to sit at the BC corner and give Ped a break when I'm not attending a class, and others might be willing to do the same, making sure that the BC corner is never left empty.

Is there anything else we could do to make it easier for BCers to at least meet up and say hi?

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1349309219' post='1824690']
Had to cancel last minute this year but I have just stuck it in my diary for next year. I have a gig on the Friday but the rest of the weekend is clear ! Going to keep it that way and finally make it over to the show.
[/quote]

And as you know Dave you have accomodation sorted for the whole weekend chez moi.

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1349351393' post='1825077']
Never been to the show. How good is it? What sort of thing goes on? The website does not seem to say much yet

jeff
[/quote]Loads of stands from manufacturers, but make sure you have a decent set of ear plugs as even if they do enforce the quiet periods it can be deafening in the noisy times.

The workshops / shows in the theatre are well worth a look - or have been for the ones I went to on the Sunday sessions for the last two years.

Take drinks & food, or be prepared to pay silly concession prices.

All in all a pretty good laugh. Without the seminars I might well have been round and back out in under a couple of hours, but add them on top and it's a whole day

[quote name='jcater' timestamp='1349351393' post='1825077']
Never been to the show. How good is it? What sort of thing goes on? The website does not seem to say much yet

jeff
[/quote]

Indeed, at least at the moment, the 2013 lineup for shows and masterclasses appears to be a lot sparser than this year's. Let's hope for the best.

To answer your question, Jeff, in the past few years we have seen a fragmenting of the music fair scene in London. In the 90s and 00s we had a huge, well-attended London Music Show every year, where All The Big Names would exhibit - all of them, Fender, Jackson, Gibson, Roland, Dean, Yamaha, Warwick, Marshall, Peavey, Ibanez, you name it, each had a massive, GAS-inducing stand. And equally big names were invited to perform and/or hold masterclasses. On different occasions I saw Paul Gilbert, all of Maiden, Tony Martin (Black Sabbath), Tony Iommi, Rick and Francis from Quo, Jennifer Batten, James Lomenzo (then of Megadeth) and many more I now forget. Attending their short but sweet performances or classes was included in the ticket price.
In the last few years that has been replaced by the London Drums Show, the London Bass Guitar Show, the London Acoustic Guitar Show, the London Electric Guitar Show (now cancelled for this year). In the case of the Bass Show, the awesomeness of the performances and masterclasses and the names of the stars attending are still as big as before, and some of the large manufacturers still have stands there, but several others are notable for their absence. The majority of exhibitors this year were (GAS-inducing) resellers stocking a limited number of basses and pedals etc. from several different makes. There was a busy schedule of shows and masterclasses, plus a big show with a separate entrance fee.
It's good for keeping up to date with new equipment coming to the market, new models being showcased by the manufacturers who still have their own stands at the fair, and GASsing all around, as well as seeing performances by our idols or awesome artists we didn't know before. Because of the noise, though, it's not a very good place for actually trying out the sound of whatever you may be interested in, unless the retailer provides a headphone amp.
In my opinion, the show is still more than worth the entrance fee. And knowing that I can meet up with BC friends is a big added bonus!

Thank you Blujay for such a detailed response. I think i will have to give this a go. I was coming to the South East bash until i heard of the M25 problems. It would be really good to meet up with some of the people from this site if the opportunity was there.

PS who do you play electric upright for?

jeff

I do hope the idea of having a BC corner will come to fruition, as that would help massively from the point of view of meeting up, even briefly, with other BCers.

Jeff, I don't play in a band - so far I've only been "playing a bit" at home for my own enjoyment. I'm slowly getting round to the idea of taking all this more seriously, though, and perhaps start jamming with others. But it's still a bit up in the air at the moment.

Are you in a band?

Bluejay, there is nothing like playing for a band, you should just go for it

The Heartbeats : www.facebook.com/pages/The-Heartbeats/168512946607256

Volare Trio : www.facebook.com/pages/Volare-TRIO/191193387654362?v=info

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDHMxMBYq7M

or

Raqsonic : www.raqsonic.com/

jeff

I'll be there working on the BassGear stand again with Phil and Vic :)

The best news for me is that this year we'll be in a new, much quieter, location away from the worst of the slap-fest!

We'll have a jam-hub again for people to play through that actually want to hear the instrument they are trying instead of just 'showing off' at insane volumes :)

• 2 weeks later...