Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

I know that opinions on the show vary, but I've always found it more than worth the ticket price if only for the masterclasses and mini-performances by the big names. This year there were so many I hardly had time to have a good look at the stands and meet up with other BCers for more than a few minutes!

Bass stars aside, I like the opportunity to GAS, see new gear, collect info about what I might need in the future, and play or test gear (although that's the less satisfactory aspect of the show, given the noise and the crowds).

I also believe that the big companies would one by one desert the show if we didn't support it. Some of the big names were notable for their absence this year, and the only way to attract them back is to make the show a big deal, go there [i]en masse[/i] and make them feel they're missing out.

As for being an exhibitor there, hopefully some of those BCers who were there last March will see this and give you their opinion.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1351175258' post='1848254']
I'm still pondering as to whether to go on the Sunday as well as the Saturday..
[/quote]

Exactly! Hence my wondering who exactly is doing what on the Sunday. I know that I [b]had[/b] to buy a ticket for Saturday, because I can't miss Dave Ellefson of course :D B) :rolleyes:, but I wouldn't mind being at the show on the Sunday too, especially if any other BCers will be there and willing to meet up.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1352204502' post='1859968']
Bump to remind that the Early Bird expiry date is fast approaching.
I've got a ticket for the Saturday, and am still tempted to get one for the Sunday. Anyone else already got tix?
[/quote]Ooo thanks for that. I must get this sorted (for Sunday) tonight!!

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1352206682' post='1860033']
I,m still waiting to see if I have a gig on Saturday night. So will probably end up paying full price nearer the time. I dont really want to go on Sunday as I have a 24 hour flight that evening! :(
[/quote]

Love your new avatar!

Now we know the real bass show is not on this year I spose I'll have to put up with the inferior southern version.

Dunno what to do about getting there though ? Try a car share, try to book a cheap coach/train in advance (not much chance of that at the weekend) or walk and set off the week before. Course if i went down in the car i could always doss in it if the worst came to the worst. Not much point in going 200 bloody miles just for one day. Might as well do both. (Well that's my excuse anyway)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1349382080' post='1825670']
Get your tickets from Mark at Bass Direct and pay no handling fee...
[/quote]

Sounds great! 'Handling fees' are such a rip. (how much is the handling fee anyway ?) Do you have a link for the bass direct page to buy a ticket, cant see it online ?

Edited by daz

I paid £1.68 handling fee for my Saturday ticket. I would also be curious to know how to get a handling-fee-free one from Bass Direct! :)

Daz - do you know of any others who would like to go to the show from outside London? If there's enough of you, you could drive down here and share petrol costs, and maybe get twin rooms somewhere affordable, and make it a weekend away and visit a few music shops or sights, etc.

Ped - is that idea of having a BC corner at the show any closer to happening?

Edited by bluejay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of making the trip across the pond to go to the show. I'll stay in my cousins uni flat (oh... joy of joys) in portsmouth, then get a train to london first thing on the saturday morning. Although there is still a question over whether i will be well enough to go or not. Hopefully i will be :)

At last........ticket bought.......flights booked.......hotel sorted......ear plugs packed...... :D Always had the intention to go, but for a variety of reasons missed it. Using the excuse that its my birthday that week so this is a "prezzie to me". Must remember to leave the credit card at home....lol :rolleyes:

True, but we must remember that the cafe can get very crowded too - or at least it did this year with the queues for masterclasses forming at least half an hour before the start of each of them. That may make it more difficult for us to find one another, unless we decide to meet next to the savoury snacks or the coffee machine or similar - not too practical, I think :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354813854' post='1890790']
I am thinking of making the trip across the pond to go to the show. I'll stay in my cousins uni flat (oh... joy of joys) in portsmouth, then get a train to london first thing on the saturday morning. Although there is still a question over whether i will be well enough to go or not. Hopefully i will be :)
[/quote]

It's an absolute trek to get there on time from Portsmouth - you're gonna be knackered before you arrive. I did the trip a couple of years ago. :(