Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show 2013 - 2 and 3/03/2013

Silvia Bluejay

The slap bass got very irritating. I noticed some bloke going round all the stands, plugging in his odd looking bass and then treating everyone to the slap fest he thought we wanted. It was okay until he was rude enough to play over the sublime Yolanda Charles during her performance.

On the positive side, kudos to young Jake for taking to the stage from the audience with his bass to play with the great Nate Watts.

CB

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1362250562' post='1997630']

It's been like that for the previous two shows :(.
[/quote]

individually, the slap bass didnt sound too bad (altough not really my thing) but the sound of 20 people slapping at the same was not good!!! i'll be hearing it in my sleep tonight!

great show otherwise, got 2nd row seat to Dave Ellefson and a Corona Chorus with £10 off :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1362252961' post='1997673']
Gutted I couldn't go, would have loved to have heard Yolanda Charles live :(

Hope everyone had fun :D
[/quote]

Maybe next year we'll have a welsh contingent. She was playing whilst I was trying to hear my bass :-). Andy Irvine was my favourite masterclass , a real funk monster. My favourite Mainstage was lee rocker but Nate was slick :-) David Ellefson was cool. :-). Just wished I'd bookedd a late train back tomorrow as I would have gone again. Next year it's the full weekend. Great to see seashell laughing at jah :-)

So happy I was in the quieter zone this year. Could hear myself and chat to customers without crazy noise levels.

Sold a few nice basses too today and met some nice people along the way.

We were betting on which of our pre-owned bargains were most likely to sell and two of our top three went today :)

Must get off the stand tomorrow and go for a wander around the other stands!

Just to confirm that I too had a great day out, meeting up with familiar faces, meeting up with a few I didn't know. Jah Wobble was great as was Nate Watts, amazing seeing Jake going on stage and having an impromptu lesson from the great one himself...got his bass signed by Nate - pretty sure we won't be seeing this for sale.

As others have said, Jah Wobble was excellent, witty and entertaining (ahh but was it Art??) wearing an incredibly stylish hat, also Nate Watts (plus Sister) was amazing, playing stuff he had written that most of us would aspire just to be able to play.

As for the slapping, yes there was some slapping going on but not nearly as much as previous years. The "quiet time" thing didn't work with amps going back on within minutes. With nobody enforcing the time out what can you expect???

Some lovely equipment up for grabs (see below). I've attached a few (crappy) pictures...

Lozz196 doing his best NOT to buy an Agulier Tonehammer:

Yolande Charles giving me a saucy look (can hardly blame her though)

Seashell and Fatrich

Bluejay and another BCer (sorry didn't get introduced)

The man that is Rob Green, the man who made Guy Pratt live up to his name by building an unsmashable bass

..and many, many of his beautiful creations

About £80k worth of Ritters

Some AC/DC wine (yes really)

Anybody who didn't make it today needs to get there for tomorrows show.

Edited by TheGreek