Why become a member? ×

Band kicked me out

BassHavoc

[quote name='Papalampraina' timestamp='1346675949' post='1791768'] I never liked that whole "image" thing. I'm a musician. It's like asking for a model to know Chinese medieval history. Why? [/quote]

As others have previously said, it depends on the type of music. If you want commercial (read teenage girls, they are the ones that buy most records) then you need to look like One Direction / JLS etc.

I blame The Beetles ;)

[quote name='gub' timestamp='1346486750' post='1789719']
also my new fave band alabama shakes
[/quote]

They are good aren't they

To the OP, sorry to hear that mate, would have been easier to take if they'd at least talked it through with you, hope you can move on and not let it ruin any more of your time than it has already

Best of luck

[quote name='Voodoosnake' timestamp='1346448716' post='1789511']
f*** em and move on ;-)
[/quote]

/thread.

They've made their decision, and now you've got yours. For right or wrong, there it is.

I would choose to move on and make a success of myself elsewhere, with due consideration for my existing writing and arranging rights for their existing material.

[quote name='Lenny B' timestamp='1346454714' post='1789591']
If you've written or co-written any original songs then they'll need your permission to do anything with them AND you should get your appropriate share of income from them. Same for any recordings if they're exploited.
And if you really want to annoy them, you can say (or write) that the band was operating as a partnership under partnership law, and as such you have rights in the name and goodwill (excuse me being vague, but it's a long time since I did Partnership law) of the band.

You should definitely assert your rights in any songs though...
[/quote] Agreed. I was in a band a while back... it was fun while at uni and we did pretty well really. Eventually got kicked out, problem being that most the rest of them wanted to be this really tight unit, and having other things in my life and other friends I didn't want to give my life to it. I also missed out on the fag break bonding times. I was however good at talking and communicating in a band where we were bad at it... got caught in a power struggle between the keys player and the guitarists (also a couple oddly) as to who led the band (when before it had been me and the keys player).
Kicked out, well walked out- it wasn't messy but didn't want to hang out with them much after. and i got to hear the new girl murder the songs as she did her own thing and gradually going back to my lines.
Anyway years later they get in touch to ask me what I had input into, I said I didn't care really, they insisted and then were a bit surpried how much I had written lyrics or vocal melodies for. They are on iTunes now, so no doubt someones making money from them but, meh who cares was my attitude. I think for the OP writing a letter claiming credit to the management of the band, and the label wouldn't be a bad idea. :)
[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1346494158' post='1789836']
Can't believe they dumped a mate for a label like that!! Twonks. Utter twonks.
Hope it works out for you bud
[/quote]
yeah... it's odd how some people get transfixed by "making it" and the moment any idiot with a label turns up will jump at it. The amount of messages we used to get via email from lables we'ld never heard of asking about us was mad.

There's quite a few bands or names been mentioned that aren't exactly "in there" image wise, but thinking of the bands I saw while working for a CD factory I remember thinking :huh: when seeing Elbow's pics for the first time, not exactly teeny image faves ......... and they seem to be doing OK lately; the list(s) could well be endless depending on your favourite genre.

How can you prove what lines you did or did not write though? I have done studio stuff for the guy I play the live shows with, I alter them here and there but they are his songs really, how could either of us prove what bits I came up with and to what extent that gives to the overall song? Unless we agreed something in writing early on or you had copies pre dating their version (not possible in this case as they are not my songs) I cant see how I could get my hands on a cut of any of it? :)

Growing up as a bassist I never had problems being kicked out but recently I have been fortunate to be mixing with higher profile musicians/bands. At the start of this year I was the bassist for AxeWound (I tried to change the name) with Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine and Liam (Cancer Bats Singer) we had not even finished recording the album and we were already confirmed for Kerrang front cover and a record deal with Sony (because of the other guys in the band)

Basically I was kicked out because they didn't think I had the right image for the band and they got in the bassist from Rise To remain who was kicked out of his band. I also auditioned to play bass for One Direction before they did their first tour, and I was told the exact same thing about my image!

[quote name='Captain Bass' timestamp='1346782098' post='1793200']
Growing up as a bassist I never had problems being kicked out but recently I have been fortunate to be mixing with higher profile musicians/bands. At the start of this year I was the bassist for AxeWound (I tried to change the name) with Matt Tuck from Bullet For My Valentine and Liam (Cancer Bats Singer) we had not even finished recording the album and we were already confirmed for Kerrang front cover and a record deal with Sony (because of the other guys in the band)

Basically I was kicked out because they didn't think I had the right image for the band and they got in the bassist from Rise To remain who was kicked out of his band. I also auditioned to play bass for One Direction before they did their first tour, and I was told the exact same thing about my image!
[/quote]

Because of that AxeWound band my old band's album took over 10 months to mix. The week after we finished recording Matt Tuck had booked the studio and the producer dropped our stuff while we had to wait for them to finish thier sh*t.

Btw is it true Matt Tuck's girlfriend/wife/whatever came up with the name as a joke?

Edited by BassHavoc

[quote name='BassHavoc' timestamp='1346791112' post='1793404']
Btw is it true Matt Tuck's girlfriend/wife/whatever came up with the name as a joke?
[/quote]

AxeWound = coarse and lewd term for ladyparts (see also: Hairy Axe Wound) so somebody was definitely having a laugh when they came up with it.

On the topic - this is a really sh*tty move to pull, but having looked at the label roster, I'm familiar with a couple of the bands, and one local to me who I share a few mutual mates with have (as far as I recall) never even publicised that they're affiliated with these guys. Whilst I'm sure they're decent blokes with good intentions, I doubt they're providing anyone with life-changing career making opportunities right now, and a quick look at the profile and current activities of the bands they represent suggests to me that you haven't missed out on much that couldn't be achieved with a bit of persistence and DIY effort.

Chin up and on to the next one!

Hm, there are record labels and record labels and not all record labels are created equal. Not sure you're missing much but it is a sh*tty way to be dealt with. [url="http://www.metalteamuk.net/may10int/interview-transcend.htm"]http://www.metalteamuk.net/may10int/interview-transcend.htm[/url]

Be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet them again on the way down is a maxim that most groups should take to heart.

Good luck

Steve

[quote name='BassHavoc' timestamp='1346447915' post='1789495']
My band, which I helped form almost 3 years ago, had been going through a bit of a dry spell (no gigs for several months) Every member had focusing on other things like earning money to help fund our first major UK tour and caring for sick relatives but we all agreed to hit the road hard come Autumn/winter. But behind my back they had hidden from me that we had been approached by a record label with some kind of deal on the condition, and I quote "They kicked out the overweight bassist"

So four of my closest friends decided to stab me in the back for a shot at the big time. But worst of all they are lying to the fans and my friends by saying I left to focus on other things and that I wasn't committed to the band!

Pissed off to say the least but I'm curious if anyone in Basschat land has had a similar experience.
[/quote]

Mmm..similarish

Record company advice at the time that ended in no deal - get rid of the "bouncer" on guitar!

He was the key songwriter and the man driving the band at the time, all contacts with a & r were made by him, so he kind of got the news direct.

We were mortified, but he took it on the chin and kinda agreed with them and took a back seat from then on in just focusing on raising the profile of the band etc. more of a co- manager role.

The music business is full of sh*t heads unfortunately at this level.

As far as your mates are concerned they will no doubt regret it years down the line, put it down to greed and being blinded by every word spoken by the record company.

I think they could have been a bit more tactful and thought of a different angle to approach it and at least given you the option to shed a few.

Have they got the deal in the bag? Chances are - no! All on maybes.

Get back on the horse with your head held high and move on to the next town.

Good luck!

Happened to me in the 90's, out of the blue the fat b****** drummer who I been ferrying around for 5 years whilst playing in this band, calls me up and tells me they doing me a favour by letting me go. It's in my interest so that I'll be able to move to another town if my employer asks me too - WTF

The other band ***holes were all pi** heads and I was not, I think that was the reason the dumb f**** pushed me out so another pi**head realative drinking-buddy could take my place.

As you can tell, I'm not the slightest bit bitter, as I have the rest of my life to return the w****** the favour, given the chance.- lol

If it happens to anyone else here, I suggest you try & move on and If your young enough, get your own back by getting a successfull band formed or by joining one. Don't be bitter like me, but don't forget either :angry:

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1346841192' post='1793827']
Judging from their mission statement on there, I think you've dodged a bullet mate. They sound like a right bunch of tossers, like a lot of record labels. Hence the reason we put out all our own stuff.
[/quote]

[quote name='Papalampraina' timestamp='1346500567' post='1789939']I'm 120kg myself and find this approach non-musical and racist. [/quote]

:D Fat people are a race now are they? Blimey !!

Similar sort of experience fairly recently. I joined a band and helped them out of a really sticky spot, ie a wedding gig in a couple of weeks - so I learnt the set in a couple of weeks, begged borrowed and eventually bought a bass rig - helped out with a sizeable loan from my family (Only playing bass since May, guitarist previously). All went swimmingly, gig a big success, pats on back and praise heaped on me from, what seemed like a nice bunch of guys.
A few more gigs followed over the coming months until I was called to a 'band meeting', which one of them obviously couldn't be bothered to attend (Or was too embarrassed) . Seems a local bass player had approached them behind my back at one of our gigs - which must take some gall on its own - and offered his vastly more experienced services as his band at the time weren't getting many gigs. They'd rehearsed with him before setting me free. What a bunch of two-faced tossers!
I've consoled myself with the thought that I thought their guitar playing was pretty shoddy at the best of times. Also any band that's on it's 13th drummer must have something wrong with it. Maybe they all exploded!

Edited by simonc61

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1346774610' post='1793042']
"Yes Mr Wonder, all of your band are stick thin super models. Especially the bass player."
[/quote]
This, we like :lol:

OP, I commiserate. Speaking as a fellow 'substantialite', I can hazard a guess at how you felt when you were told. Like almost everyone else has said, you're better off out of that shower of Judas-bastards.